•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to improve tracking of Star Adventurer (with/without Guiding)

astrophotography dslr
  • Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 Alsterling

Alsterling

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:43 PM

Very frustrated with basic SA and phd2 setup... |Even on manual guiding, the mount goes into its blinking and the star visibly drifts in seconds. I leave it without guiding and with good polar align it stays nicely, BUT not good enough for a 200mm more than 40 sec.  Turn on align and within 5 seconds the star is moving off and the SA mount starts blinking. 

Wondering if the problem is with the mount itself?! I am using the Orion starshoot and as far as I can tell, all the settings recommended by people here, no dec, assume orthogonal, hysteresis 10, aggr 70 max ra dur 3000, min mov in pix 0.2. Good polar align. Have latest version of phd and started back to wizard and new equipment a couple of times. 

But click on guiding (and it does have green cross) and then the corrections keep increasing after only seconds! And can't even guide manually, which I really don't understand, so am thinking it is the communication with the mount. 2 nights of 2-3 hours was annoying!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Alister

#102 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Coppell, Texas

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:22 PM

Is polar alignment good enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#103 Alsterling

Alsterling

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Yes, Polar A is within 2-3 arcmin. I think my problem is that I have not let it calibrate! Will check again tonight.

#104 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

Yes, Polar A is within 2-3 arcmin. I think my problem is that I have not let it calibrate! Will check again tonight.

A better practice is to force re-calibrate after changing target. 

#105 RJF-Astro

RJF-Astro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zeist, Netherlands

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:09 AM

I guided my Star Adventurer for the first time yesterday. I had to get used to the bigger spikes and DEC drift in PHD compared to my HEQ5, but actually it went ok. My polar alignment was about 5-6 arcmin off. What made a big difference for me was changing the guiding interval from 2 seconds to 1 second, see the graphs below. At about 1/4th I changed the guiding interval.

guidinglog.PNG

It appears a tight leash is needed. Next step for me is polar aligning with sharpcap, see if it further reduces error. But the 30 second subs on 330mm look quite ok. 

#106 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

Yes, you got to use shorter guiding exposures for these small trackers. I do 1s on my previous Star Adventure and current AZ-GTi. The graph will be controlled much better.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics