•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher 72mm ED Evostar

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 dmorrow

dmorrow

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:51 AM

Hi Nenovento . . . If there is not enough inward travel, try using a 1.25” diagonal with the 12.5mm to do your alignment.

If it’s limited outward travel, then an extension will do the trick.

These solutions are a bit “inelegant”, but should work to get you locked in for gotos.

Edited by dmorrow, 26 January 2019 - 07:54 AM.

#27 dmorrow

dmorrow

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:53 AM

If thats too cumbersome, then an EP change is the way to go.

#28 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tenerife (Canary Islands, Spain)

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:18 AM

Thanks Vostok 1, I'll try with a 1.25" diagonal (I'll have to get hold of one first, though).

I've been thinking on this for a while... If the whole idea of using a 1.25" diagonal instead of the 2" diagonal, is because it is fisically smaller and, thus, the optical path gets reduced, why I don't get focus when placing the EP directily on the focuser (using a 2" to 1,25" adapter)?.

Edited by NenoVento, 28 January 2019 - 05:01 AM.

#29 pollux

pollux

artiste

• Loc: Burnaby Canada

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:32 PM

I can't reach focus with 2" diagonal. Eyepieces I use are Vixen LV series.

Actually I have a question for you all, if I may: As I said, with the 2” diagonal I could make focus with all my EPs but the 12.5 mm illuminated reticle one. This is rather annoying since that's the one I use for precise goto aligment. Does this also happen to you as well?, would a 20mm focal one do the deal?

#30 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

I can't reach focus with 2" diagonal. Eyepieces I use are Vixen LV series.

Hi Polux, sorry I couldn't reply earlier but I had a pretty annoying cold and no much will to get outside and try my Vixen LV 20 mm (the only one of this kind that I have) and, with the 2" diagonal, I did get focus all right. I also tried my two SLV (6 and 9 mm) and could get focus as well. The only two EPs I can't get focus with seem to be two plossl that I still have (the reticle 12.5 and an old 40 mm). The 2" diagonal I'm using is the dielectric one from Skywatcher (I'm patiently waiting for the arrival of my new 1.25 GSO dielectric diagonal, following dmorrow's suggestion).

Edited by NenoVento, 11 February 2019 - 03:57 AM.

#31 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

While (patiently waiting) for the 1.25 diagonal mirror, I've succeeded in doing imaging without using the 2" one. Here is my setup:

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-22 at 11.31.01.jpeg

The elements I used were:

Here you have a picture I made from The Moon last night with it:

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-22 at 13.59.21.jpg

Which is a stitched composite from two stacked videos of about 1000 frames each.

Regards,

NV

PS: I also did some images of the Orion nebula with the mono camera and the LRGB filters but I didn't have the time to process them yet

Edited by NenoVento, 22 February 2019 - 09:37 AM.

• Rollo and mikeDnight like this

#32 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

Nice moon shot!

#33 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:01 PM

Sure thing, impressive shot.

#34 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:23 PM

Thanks Steve Allison and F.Meiresonne. I had a couple (more than a couple, actually) free hours this afternoon, so here you have the promised picture:

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-22 at 20.47.28.jpeg

I took 20 images of 15 seconds each per channel (LRGB), streched them with FITS Liberator, stacked them with DSS, then reduced the background light pollution with Fitswork, then derotated (due to my using an AZ mount), adjusted the color levels and mixed the channels with The Gimp. Quite a lot of work, sincerely, but I'm pretty happy about the results (being the absolute novice in AP as I am!).

Regards,

NV

PS: The camera I used was a GPCMOS02000KMA (which has a Sony IMX 290 mono sensor) and the Toupcam capture software.

Edited by NenoVento, 22 February 2019 - 05:24 PM.

• dmorrow, BinoGuy and mikeDnight like this

#35 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

I really like mine! I use it attached to a star adventurer and can get about 60-90 seconds of exposure time. I can push longer but I get to nervous. Had to buy a dove tail clamp and an extended dove tail that really helped to balance it!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190103_164425723_crop_676x757.jpg

Edited by Teddythefinger, 24 February 2019 - 07:41 PM.

#36 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

When my ED 72mm arrived, I immediately replaced the tiny green dovetail with a longer dovetail.  First, I hate the lime green color of their dovetails.  Next, it was far too short.  

About focuser travel...  if I remember correctly, I have no problems focusing with either size diagonal with either size eyepiece.  Well, of course, I can't use 2" eyepieces with a 1.25" diagonal but you know what I mean.  The eyepieces are Baader Hyperions and Orion Expanses.  I can see how certain eyepieces could cause a problem with this telescope since this focuser comes to focus only about 5mm extended.  

I do, however, have a problem using my 2" Meade Solar Wedge with 1.25" eyepieces.  I don't have enough back-focus.  However, if I use 2" eyepieces with the 2" solar wedge, it works fine.  

Patrick

#37 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:38 PM

A quick update on the inward focus issue with my reticle 12.5mm EP: Finally the 1.25 diagonal mirror arrived and yes, as dmorrow said, I was able to find focus with it. Thank you dmorrow for your help waytogo.gif.

NV

• dmorrow likes this

#38 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:18 AM

Thanks Steve Allison and F.Meiresonne. I had a couple (more than a couple, actually) free hours this afternoon, so here you have the promised picture:

attachicon.gif WhatsApp Image 2019-02-22 at 20.47.28.jpeg

I took 20 images of 15 seconds each per channel (LRGB), streched them with FITS Liberator, stacked them with DSS, then reduced the background light pollution with Fitswork, then derotated (due to my using an AZ mount), adjusted the color levels and mixed the channels with The Gimp. Quite a lot of work, sincerely, but I'm pretty happy about the results (being the absolute novice in AP as I am!).

Regards,

NV

PS: The camera I used was a GPCMOS02000KMA (which has a Sony IMX 290 mono sensor) and the Toupcam capture software.

Incredible, and that with such a small aperture. Maybe in the future i would like to try but i don't know anything from AP,really nothing.I have an EOS digital camera though so at least i might be trying something. Guess i still have alot of reading to do.I don't have a tracking mount, although if i could put a RA motor on my Vixen ,i guess for a 70 mm scopes it would be a very  nice thing. Only i don't know if such RA motors are still availalbe for the mount, which is rather old, allthough it is in pristine conditions...

#39 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

Incredible, and that with such a small aperture. Maybe in the future i would like to try but i don't know anything from AP,really nothing.I have an EOS digital camera though so at least i might be trying something. Guess i still have alot of reading to do.I don't have a tracking mount, although if i could put a RA motor on my Vixen ,i guess for a 70 mm scopes it would be a very  nice thing. Only i don't know if such RA motors are still availalbe for the mount, which is rather old, allthough it is in pristine conditions...

Honestly, without motors, I wouldn't recomend to try anything AP.

NV

#40 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:23 AM

Yet two more pics from this little scope:

M13

M13.jpeg

M57

M57.jpeg

I took 10 images with sharpcap of 20 seconds per channel (LRGB), streched them with FITS Liberator, stacked them with DSS, de-rotated and color adjusted them with The Gimp and, finaly, filtered the noise with Fitswork. I know that the results aren't so good, but considering the tools, the knowledge and the little time that I have for this rather demanding hobbie, I'm pretty happy about how they came out.

One of the things I tried this time was plate solving with ASPS in order to place the observing object in the center of my FOV. With so many stars to choose on each picture, it did work like a charm. It is pretty amazing to see this software do its work, move the mount and then, when GOTOing to the object you were after, to find it right in the center.

Regards,

NV

Edited by NenoVento, 16 April 2019 - 03:56 AM.

• F.Meiresonne, George N, Illinois and 2 others like this

#41 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

Super shots guys. I want one of these as a finder for my SW150ED.   Seems they are on back order and none in stock.

#42 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

For outward, using T2 connections, a macro photography bellows works, and also gives very fine adjustment for distance.

#43 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:16 AM

I have not seen much talk about this scope. Not sure how many were made, i never knew it was out there until i went looking for something in the 70mm range.

#44 Sockrateez

Sockrateez

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:29 AM

So how many of these smaller imports are just rebadged items with different finishes.  There are so many.  Are some more consistently well made then others?

#45 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:21 AM

I have not seen much talk about this scope. Not sure how many were made, i never knew it was out there until i went looking for something in the 70mm range.

I have had one now for maybe 6+ months. Its a beautiful scope, well balanced and with very good optics - it takes magnification very well. Comes with a nice set of rings and a nice green dovetail. Comes with a very nice case as well. And the focuser is much nicer than (IMO) than the dual speeds found on the 80/102 ED scopes.

I often mount it on my 6" Meade SCT - where it is now - or on my AT102 as a super finder. 

• Megiddo likes this

#46 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:19 AM

Yet two more pics from this little scope:

M13

attachicon.gif M13.jpeg

M57

attachicon.gif M57.jpeg

I took 10 images with sharpcap of 20 seconds per channel (LRGB), streched them with FITS Liberator, stacked them with DSS, de-rotated and color adjusted them with The Gimp and, finaly, filtered the noise with Fitswork. I know that the results aren't so good, but considering the tools, the knowledge and the little time that I have for this rather demanding hobbie, I'm pretty happy about how they came out.

One of the things I tried this time was plate solving with ASPS in order to place the observing object in the center of my FOV. With so many stars to choose on each picture, it did work like a charm. It is pretty amazing to see this software do its work, move the mount and then, when GOTOing to the object you were after, to find it right in the center.

Regards,

NV

Gee, that something i would try to do in the future but honestly have no knowledge of the techniques yet.

I could use my F/6 ED 70 mm...with that i succeeded to get some nice moonshots, but that did not need any guiding mount....just a stable mount..

#47 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:23 AM

Honestly, without motors, I wouldn't recomend to try anything AP.

NV

Indeed , i realise that , i did some research , there are still motors available for my Vixen GP-E, but rather expensive. Still need a polar finder too, no cheap either.

Maybe after all it might be less costly to buy a whole new mount that can follow, there are plenty of choices these days...

#48 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:13 AM

Indeed , i realise that , i did some research , there are still motors available for my Vixen GP-E, but rather expensive. Still need a polar finder too, no cheap either.

Maybe after all it might be less costly to buy a whole new mount that can follow, there are plenty of choices these days...

I don't know what to say... If these motors give you GOTO capabilities and are ASCOM compatible, such as this:

https://www.teleskop...-EQ-mounts.html

I'd go for it. You can always polar align using the SynScan or,  by using ASCOM and a computer, via other procedures (such as the one implemented in Sharpcap, plate solving) without the need of further investment.

NV

#49 NenoVento

NenoVento

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:32 AM

This topic address the same issue:

https://www.cloudyni...en-gp-thoughts/

NV

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics