•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First night out with AWB 5" Dobs and camera

moon reflector imaging
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 michaelgat

michaelgat

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles area, CA

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:00 AM

I'm in an area with lots of light pollution and wasn't planning on doing much more than just testing the scope and seeing what it could do. But Phil Plait posted an image of the moon earlier this evening and I looked at it thinking "I wonder if I can do better than that?"

I don't know a whole lot about telescopes. My last one was a cheap department store reflector my dad got me back in elementary school. But I know a lot about cameras and optics, and one of the things I ordered right away was a T2 adapter for my Fuji. Also have a 2x Barlow with integrated T2 thread and removable element (so it can be used purely as an extension tube). So after looking at the moon for a bit with a couple of eyepieces, I decided to try to mount the camera. Not enough backfocus to use without the Barlow element, but the half moon just fit the frame with it in.

Got a few good ones. Not perfect. The scope is clearly not designed for this and the base is a bit shaky due to soft rubber feet. Still, not unhappy with the results for a first night out.

37826673965_ab9f592aed_c.jpg

38715030771_55330b8c6d_c.jpg

Edited by michaelgat, 29 November 2017 - 03:02 AM.

• Carol L, Sunspot, eros312 and 8 others like this

#2 gitane71

gitane71

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:55 AM

Which Fuji did you use?

Wow !! 

I'd say this has the 'wow' factor the Questar ads from ? the late 50's/60's had.

Really nice 'first shots' !!  

I assume you paid a little less than the 50's  $1K price of the Questar ! 

#3 michaelgat

michaelgat

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

Which Fuji did you use?

Wow !! 

I'd say this has the 'wow' factor the Questar ads from ? the late 50's/60's had.

Really nice 'first shots' !!  

I assume you paid a little less than the 50's  $1K price of the Questar ! 

This was a Fuji X-E2s. But really doesn't matter much if you're using it without a lens, just doing basic "A" autoexposure with a direct mount to the telescope. 16.7mp sensor.

Total cost is $200 for the telescope, I got the Barlow free, and paid something like $20 for the T2 adapter. Barlow already had T2 threads on it, so no additional pieces needed.

Here's what it looks like.

Camera with adapter

#4 gitane71

gitane71

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

I've gotten pretty fair results 'afocally', but with prime focus, I've had a lot of trouble making sure I've got good focus. 
​Do you have a screen on the back of the camera to focus with?  Does that seem to be 'enough'?  

these are single shots? or stacked?  

#5 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Viking 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:18 PM

Awesome,Awesome.and More Awesome. Great Images with wonderful detail. They really "pop" and show some Great Crispness and Detail at the Polar Region. Most Excellent work indeed!waytogo.gif 

#6 michaelgat

michaelgat

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:43 AM

I've gotten pretty fair results 'afocally', but with prime focus, I've had a lot of trouble making sure I've got good focus. 
​Do you have a screen on the back of the camera to focus with?  Does that seem to be 'enough'?  

these are single shots? or stacked?  

These are all single shots.

I've done a few different batches and experimented with focus. I find that putting a small loupe on the rear LCD helps me focus better, just like on the groundglass of old view cameras. But even so, not perfect. And shake is definitely a problem.

#7 michaelgat

michaelgat

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:44 AM

OK, one more experiment tonight.

I love how Aristarchus is just coming into the light.

38021123904_aa19276be2_c.jpg

Click through for full size

• gitane71 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moon, reflector, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics