•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Accidental Solar Eclipse Shot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 egratudo

egratudo

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

Hi All,

This was my first total solar eclipse. had a great weekend with the camper trailer, found a great spot in the middle of nowhere right in the middle of the path of totality. I had a lot of gear setup ready to go. i was taking shots every 90 sec. through the eclipse using my QHY8L camera on the back of my ED80T CF to create an animation of the eclipse. but once totality hit i took a few shots and then made the mistake (not really) of looking up at the eclipse with my eyes. i got lost in the eclipse and missed out on all that planning i had done to get a few good shots during totality. i dont regret looking up, it was a life changing moment i will always remember. i was in such awe, i messed up the remainder of my 90 sec interval images and did not really get that sweet shot i was hoping for. i did however find an accidental 4 sec shot (i thought i was taking a 40 ms shot). turns out the 4 sec shot captured some earth-shine on the moon and revealed some moon surface detail. so this is my one kinda cool shot. wouldn't trade the experience for anything. 

i will include a link of the video i put together of the trip. it includes the animations i got, but its not the whole thing, its only the first half through totality. 

Enjoy!!!

cca1325edb2436b1a2cdb552ba4d7291.620x0_q

https://youtu.be/p0UE47a-x0A

Edited by egratudo, 29 November 2017 - 05:15 PM.

• Mad MikeE, Dartguy, charotarguy and 1 other like this

#2 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

Nice shot egratudo, feels really refreshing to see a new eclipse image after a long time. You sure did capture the earth shine.

• egratudo likes this

#3 bobharmony

bobharmony

Mariner 2

• Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

Amazing how far the corona stretches out in this long exposure too.  I like the Earthshine effect.  If there was ever a time to look up, it was during totality.  That's what I spent most of my time doing, and I don't regret it at all!  You can capture the totality shots in 2024, where there will be more time to look and image :)

Bob

#4 egratudo

egratudo

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

Amazing how far the corona stretches out in this long exposure too.  I like the Earthshine effect.  If there was ever a time to look up, it was during totality.  That's what I spent most of my time doing, and I don't regret it at all!  You can capture the totality shots in 2024, where there will be more time to look and image smile.gif

Bob

i think i will head to Texas to give it another go in 2024. i think i want to see if i can set up an automated sequence with all my cameras while i spend the whole time holding my jaw in my lap while i stare at the sun :) 

• bobharmony and amzking like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics