•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Favored Luna eyepiece choice.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 MG1692

MG1692

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western Kansas

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:42 PM

What is your go to eyepiece for high magnification viewing of the Moon.

As a general observation would it be reasonable to to assume any eyepieces with a good reputation for planetary viewing would be equally of value for the Moon or are there other factors I have not considered?

• aeajr likes this

#2 cosmo823

cosmo823

Vostok 1

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:48 AM

Well, for me it's the Delos line. I love the contrast, the sharpness, the color and the field of view. Of course, I'm using an alt az with an arm, so field of view becomes a thing. I've got a 3.5mm, a 4.5mm  and a 6mm. Also a 2.5mm Nagler for those rare occasions the seeing will hold up. In the TV76 these still come in at pretty reasonable magnifications. When I jump to the 6" Celestron the 2.5 and 3.5 don't see much use. But overall, yeah, the Delos are really quite nice.

• Procyon likes this

#3 kcb

kcb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:03 AM

3.7mm ethos

#4 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:23 AM

The Delite line by TeleVue are very sharp. 

• Tyson M and SterlingArcher like this

#5 Wade J

Wade J

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Iowa

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

I like my 3-6mm Nagler zoom with my 102mm Stellarvue refractor. Being able to zoom in and out between 150X and 300X is amazing. 

Edited by Wade J, 21 December 2017 - 09:41 AM.

• Steve Cox likes this

#6 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

The Delite line by TeleVue are very sharp. 

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a 4mm delite for the moon and Jupiter in my Vixen 81S

• Neptune likes this

#7 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:21 PM

My  Fujiyama Orthos are very sharp in my 90mm Mak.  For my llarger scopes its the Agena Starguider Dual ED that get used the most.

• Ohmless likes this

#8 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:27 PM

.I love the flexibility of my TV 3-6 Zoom for being able to dial into the max magnification for the night's seeing.  But I also love the very sharp detail and depth rendition of my 6mm and 4mm Tak Abbes, alone or with the Brandon 1.25X Magic Dakin barlow (for 5mm and 3.2mm).

#9 CarlDD

CarlDD

Viking 1

• Loc: Home is Serbia

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

I prefer to Binoview and am using pairs of Zeiss 25mm Aspherics, Tak 24mm LE’s, 28mm Erfles or 32mm Abbe Ortho. All are easy to use, comfortable and sharp.

Best Regards 

Carl

#10 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

Delos 6 and 3.5mm,Pentax XW 5, 7 and 10mm for mono viewing in my 10 F6 dob.

Binoviewing with pairs of TV plossls and 24 Pans in my SW 180 Mak and Orion ED80.

Delites and TV 3-6mm zoom for mono in an Orion ED80

#11 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

• Loc: AZ/WI

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:29 PM

Formerly Pentax XWs, but now I love looking at the moon with a B27 binoviewer, powerswitch, and a pair of 13mm Naglers. Absolutely mesmerizing.  

Alex

• Kutno and Tyson M like this

#12 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

Formerly Pentax XWs, but now I love looking at the moon with a B27 binoviewer, powerswitch, and a pair of 13mm Naglers. Absolutely mesmerizing.  

Alex

!3 Nags, wow, must be awesome with 82* FOV! What scope?

#13 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

Depends on which scope I'm using. With my 92mm refractor it's a 3.7mm Ethos (149x). With my 6" Mak, it's an 8mm Ethos (262x).

#14 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

• Loc: AZ/WI

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

Alex

!3 Nags, wow, must be awesome with 82* FOV! What scope?

Mostly NP101, also AP105, as well as an 8-inch Zambuto/Starmaster. The Nagler 13s are just a wonderful match for the binoviewer, at least on the moon. 

Alex

#15 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24 mm. In my XT8i that is 50 to 150X.  Then I drop it into a 2X barlow for 100 to 300X and everything in between.   That is my main eyepiece for all targets.

IN my ETX 125 an 8-24 zoom gives me 79 to 237X without a barlow.

Edited by aeajr, 26 December 2017 - 06:10 PM.

• tjbitt likes this

#16 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

• Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

I like to use a pair of 5mm T6 Naglers in my binoviewer in all my refractors. Ilike to use my 2-4mm Nagler Zoom and my Leica Aspheric Zoom with 1.8X Tele-extender in cyclops mode.

CS

Jonathan

#17 Nikonuser

Nikonuser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: wales, GB

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:35 AM

I will differ here, I prefer a 19mm Celestron Axiom

#18 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

As a general observation would it be reasonable to to assume any eyepieces with a good reputation for planetary viewing would be equally of value for the Moon or are there other factors I have not considered?

We have all told you what we use but we didn't address the second part of your question.

I have read a variety of opinions about what constitutes a good planetary and/or moon viewing eyepiece.

• Some say an eyepiece that gives you a 1 mm exit pupil in your scope.
  • Some value higher magnifications than that.
  • Some prefer a particular type of eyepiece like a Plossl or an Ortho
  • And some are focused on wide views for longer drift time in manual scopes.

I don't know that there is any hard and fast rule especially when you take into account that we all have different eyes and perceive things just a little differently. 

A consistent theme is that you don't need a wide field of view for planetary observing.   Orthos and Plossls are often cited as excellent planetary eyepieces.

I like the zoom because it allows me to find the optimum magnification for this target on this night under the current conditions.  Others prefer a range of single FL eyepieces.   I would never suggest that one eyepiece is enough to optimize the view as conditions vary from night to night and the conditions are, in my opinion, more important that the optics, but optics are important.

In this short commentary they suggest a magnification of about 180X 

http://curious.astro...ts-intermediate

A discussion about Planetary eyepieces

https://www.cloudyni...tary-eyepieces/

Edited by aeajr, 27 December 2017 - 12:12 PM.

• Stacyjo1962 and SILENCER like this

#19 MG1692

MG1692

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western Kansas

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

We have all told you what we use but we didn't address the second part of your question.

I have read a variety of opinions about what constitutes a good planetary and/or moon viewing eyepiece.

• Some say an eyepiece that gives you a 1 mm exit pupil in your scope.
  • Some value higher magnifications than that.
  • Some prefer a particular type of eyepiece like a Plossl or an Ortho
  • And some are focused on wide views for longer drift time in manual scopes.

I don't know that there is any hard and fast rule especially when you take into account that we all have different eyes and perceive things just a little differently. 

A consistent theme is that you don't need a wide field of view for planetary observing.   Orthos and Plossls are often cited as excellent planetary eyepieces.

I like the zoom because it allows me to find the optimum magnification for this target on this night under the current conditions.  Others prefer a range of single FL eyepieces.   I would never suggest that one eyepiece is enough to optimize the view as conditions vary from night to night and the conditions are, in my opinion, more important that the optics, but optics are important.

In this short commentary they suggest a magnification of about 180X 

http://curious.astro...ts-intermediate

A discussion about Planetary eyepieces

https://www.cloudyni...tary-eyepieces/

Thanks for the input.

I did not expect it, but I hoped there might have been a magic bullet. The idea of the zoom is a logical one and one I am going to explore when the finances allow it. However getting only to 8mm still leaves me a gap around the 6mm to 5mm to fill for those special nights.

#20 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

That is where I use a 2x barlow.

24-8  mm. Then 12-4 mm   That is what I use in my 8" Dob.  That takes me from 50X to 300X

Most nights this is all I use.  If you want a wider range use a 2.5X or 3X barlow

In my 80 mm refractor/400 mm FL  I use a 3X barlow.  to take me to 150X.

• I never expected the zoom eyepiece to become my primary eyepiece, but it has.
  • My Celestron 8-24 zoom is good and comparable to my Plossl eyepieces ($65)
  • The Baader Hyperion is great and comparable to my Explore Scientific eyepieces ( $289)
  • Watching doubles split as I rotate the barrel is wonderful
  • One filter serves over a wide range of magnifications, no screwing and unscrewing to try other eyepieces
  • Moving smoothly from and between small changes in magnification helps when seeing is not the best
  • I am always working at the optimum magnification for this target.
  • Sharing the view with others is easier, especially in my manual tracking Dob - I hand it over at low mag so it stays in the view longer.  They zoom back in to whatever magnification works best for them.
  • My eyepiece case has been greatly simplified
  • Kids love the zoom

Edited by aeajr, 27 December 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#21 EddWar

EddWar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Meade UWA 5.5mm, love this eyepiece.

• russell23, RobDob and Mick Christopher like this

#22 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

There are numerous excellent lunar eyepieces out there.  I’ll 2nd the 5.5mm Meade UWA.  The 12mm Pentax XF does a really nice job with and without a Barlow.   I also have a Zeiss microscope eyepiece I really like for lunar observations.

The 7mm DeLite was a very sharp eyepiece for Lunar observations.  I also really liked the 12.5mm Docter and the barlowed 17.5mm Nikon NAV.  

#23 JonTeets

JonTeets

Ranger 4

• Loc: In a light patch

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

I've used a variety of EPs in my Questar but keep coming back to the Brandons.  Most nights I have to accept the 12mm as seeing limits what I can achieve, especially in the winters here in the midwest.  One every couple of weeks I can make use of the 8mm Brandon, and I've been able to push a Baader 6mm I have a couple of times in the last several years.   

Someone else mentioned the Fujiyamas and I concur.  The 12.5mm I have is nearly as good as the Brandon 12; it's not as sharp, but it's brighter, and more economical, to be sure.  

Good planetary EPs do well on the moon, too.  What makes the most difference to me is the lunar phase, though.  The moon gets so bright near full moon than I tend to prefer an 8 to a 12 even in poorer seeing or a barlowed view of my 16mm or 24mm Brandons to the 8 or 12 as it cuts the light down a bit.  I never have that consideration when doing planetary viewing.  

#24 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Okanagan, BC

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

I was looking for some insight on what EP/scope combinations others prefer when viewing luna when I cam across this thread.  Instead of starting a new thread I thought I might build on this one.

I recently added some new-to-me eyepieces to my arsenal; those being Naglers 22T4 and 17T4 plus an APM-84 12.5mm.  I already have the range of Pentax XW from 20mm to 5mm.

Now that comet Neowise has done its thing I thought I would turn my sights back on luna and test my newer EPs in my 10" dob.  Unfortunately last night I discovered that the shrubs on the south side of my dobs had grown tall enough to interfere with my view of the ecliptic.  Today I started to do some major thinning and height reduction of those shrubs.

What I did discover is that the views through the Naglers were very clean but the magnification was low (without a barlow).  The APM 12.5 shows a distinct yellow fringe and although quite comfortable that colouring was not what I had hoped.  My Pentax 10XW was very clean and filled 80% of the view.

My next night out will be a comparison of my EPs to see if I have a preferred EP/scope combination.  I am surprised I have never done this until now.

Scopes:

Stellarvue SV80L

10" dob

16" dob

EPs:

35 Pan

24Pan

22T4

17T4

APM 12.5

Pentax XW, 20, 14, 10, 7, 5

Baader Zoom

2 X Barlow

#25 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:21 PM

I have never felt the need for special “lunar” or “planetary” EPs. Any good EP works well enough for me for everything. My EP decisions are based on the trade off between physical size, FOV, and eye relief.  Happen to be using Delites these days because they are light weight and have good eye relief. When I didn’t need as much ER, used Nagler T6s. Tried Delos and found them too chubby for me, but otherwise fine. 

Edited by gwlee, 11 August 2020 - 06:35 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics