•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
941 replies to this topic

#926 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

• Loc: Blaine, Washington

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

It's also missing the German equatorial mount! I will be returning this and I am sure you be seeing it pop up on ebay again.

Edit: It has has fungus growing between the lens elements.

Be sure and leave them feedback, other buyers need to be aware of this sellers tactics, I am sorry it happened to you.

Frank

#927 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

Help! I need to share my pain with others who might understand! I ordered a vintage refractor from ebay (my first and last purchase there) and the beautiful wood box was shipped with NO protection! They just taped the label to the outside and shipped it! It's now in pretty bad shape. To top it off, it was left outside in the pouring rain! I am afraid to open it, I am absolutely heartbroken and sick to my stomach. I paid a premium for this as it looked to be in really good condition. Has anyone else had this happen to them? What did you do, just send it back?

Relax, make a good assessment of what you got and see if its worth negotiating the price down in your favor.

#928 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

It's also missing the German equatorial mount! I will be returning this and I am sure you be seeing it pop up on ebay again.

Looks like it may not be worth the effort... What scope was it?

#929 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

A Tasco 15TE 76mm refractor. Ebay won't let me file for a return until tomorrow. I sent the seller a message explaining the situation. His auction states "No Returns", but since this is missing the mount and the damage, I am hoping I can still return it for a full refund since it's definitely not as described (auction stated "Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.". Item lacking the mount most definitely is not fully operational and does not function as intended. Looking over the auction, seems to me the seller was fully aware it was missing the critical mount and was very deceptive with his description and photos to not mention it or show the empty areas in the foam where the mount would go. He has zero feedback too.

Did you use PayPal?

#930 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

A Tasco 15TE 76mm refractor. Ebay won't let me file for a return until tomorrow. I sent the seller a message explaining the situation. His auction states "No Returns", but since this is missing the mount and the damage, I am hoping I can still return it for a full refund since it's definitely not as described (auction stated "Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.". Item lacking the mount most definitely is not fully operational and does not function as intended. Looking over the auction, seems to me the seller was fully aware it was missing the critical mount and was very deceptive with his description and photos to not mention it or show the empty areas in the foam where the mount would go. He has zero feedback too.

If the seller doesn't give you satisfaction, give them their first feedback report, just saying that's what I would do. evillaugh.gif 

#931 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Is this the Tasco from Port Townsend, WA ? if it is I seem to remember it not showing a photo of the mount and the seller never got back to me when I inquired. That is when I stopped bidding. Once again I am sorry this happen to you and I hope you can reach a settlement with the seller but be aware they don't communicate well.

Edited by levidog2, 19 January 2018 - 08:03 PM.

#932 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Be sure and leave them feedback, other buyers need to be aware of this sellers tactics, I am sorry it happened to you.

Frank

This is why i have not done any deals with Ebay since 2005.

#933 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

I used PayPal (he wanted me to pay cash, so glad I didn't now!) I have sent him two messages and I have tried hard to be fair and reasonable. I explained it was still valuable to me for the parts, but he really needs to issue a partial refund to cover the damage and missing mount. Lacking that, I would be forced to ask ebay and PayPal to get involved. Whether likes it or not and even if it says no returns, I am hoping they will give me a return label to print and I can return it for a full refund at his expense. Surely, he would rather issue a partial refund than be stuck with the scope and paying shipping both ways? I just worry that since he has zero feedback, he'll just take the money and run. With zero feedback he really doesn't have much to lose.

YMMV, but in my experience, this is where Paypal can be a great benefit.  Log on, and go to their claims section.  File the claim with an explanation that you are not receiving communication with the seller.  When Paypal initiates the claim on your behalf, I am fairly certain that they extract the money from the seller's account, freeze it, or something of that nature.  They will then attempt to communicate with the seller.  Depending on his/her response, they will attempt to mediate.  Short of a response from the seller, they will make a ruling in your favor.  

My experience with Paypal turned out well in the end.  It just took some patience, and good communication.  I hope this helps. 

#934 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:14 PM

I used PayPal (he wanted me to pay cash, so glad I didn't now!) I have sent him two messages and I have tried hard to be fair and reasonable. I explained it was still valuable to me for the parts, but he really needs to issue a partial refund to cover the damage and missing mount. Lacking that, I would be forced to ask ebay and PayPal to get involved. Whether likes it or not and even if it says no returns, I am hoping they will give me a return label to print and I can return it for a full refund at his expense. Surely, he would rather issue a partial refund than be stuck with the scope and paying shipping both ways? I just worry that since he has zero feedback, he'll just take the money and run. With zero feedback he really doesn't have much to lose.

If the seller is who I think he/she is, they are trying to make a business selling on ebay, so yes negative feedback is critical to these sellers. I for one always read feedback before bidding, I also ask lots of questions, sometimes sellers don't like it but if you can't physically inspect something all you have is your ability to get all the information you can to make an informed decision.

#935 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

Dakin 4" f/10

https://www.cloudyni...-refractor-ota/

#936 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

Another dissatisfied  E mart  shopper . Sorry to hear about your loss . frown.gif

#937 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:21 PM

This is his response:

"Hello, I am very sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the telescope. In the case of the shipping, I was told at the post office in Port Townsend that I should ship it without a box so if you feel that the item was damaged you should definitely talk to the postal service but the item is from the sixties and the box did have general wear and tear as shown in the photographs. As far as a refund I did list the item as returns not accepted. I was not aware that a piece was missing as I am not telescope savvy, merely listing this as I came across it in an attic. I took pictures of everything included and felt I portrayed all the items you would be receiving clearly. I would also like to remind you that I was very patient with you both in receiving late payment (not selling the item to someone else) and storing the item for you. This was simply a used, as is listing and everything was shown in pictures."

He very carefully photographed everything to NOT show the areas in the case and foam where the mount went. I am certain he was intentionally deceptive. I am waiting for PayPal to return my call in about an hour, will leave negative feedback, will no longer accept a partial refund, and will be returning it and filing complaints.

PayPal will take care of you but you may have to pay return shipping...

#938 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

This is his response:

"Hello, I am very sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the telescope. In the case of the shipping, I was told at the post office in Port Townsend that I should ship it without a box so if you feel that the item was damaged you should definitely talk to the postal service but the item is from the sixties and the box did have general wear and tear as shown in the photographs. As far as a refund I did list the item as returns not accepted. I was not aware that a piece was missing as I am not telescope savvy, merely listing this as I came across it in an attic. I took pictures of everything included and felt I portrayed all the items you would be receiving clearly. I would also like to remind you that I was very patient with you both in receiving late payment (not selling the item to someone else) and storing the item for you. This was simply a used, as is listing and everything was shown in pictures."

He very carefully photographed everything to NOT show the areas in the case and foam where the mount went. I am certain he was intentionally deceptive. I am waiting for PayPal to return my call in about an hour, will leave negative feedback, will no longer accept a partial refund, and will be returning it and filing complaints.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. Sounds like you're new to ebay. 

The description you posted earlier: "Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections." This is a generic description that ebay automatically uses when a seller selects the item as Used in their listing. It's commonly the only description given by lazy, uninformed, or dishonest sellers. The best sellers give good descriptions. If a seller doesn't give their own detailed description, it can be a red flag and or you have no idea of what your getting.

It depends on the item, but I usually won't buy anything described that way unless it has very good photos, I have asked the seller questions first, or decide to take the risk. I also never buy from inexperience sellers and without checking their feedback score. When paying I sometimes include a note asking them to be sure to pack it well and to wrap any loose parts.

I recently passed on a fairly nice Unitron 114 OTA in box for a few reasons. 1. The seller was inexperienced (only 10 sales and not 100% positive) 2. His shipping cost was high. 3. Not the best photos. 4. He said he'd add photos but didn't. 5. When I asked him about the areas of the box not shown, he told me it had damage.

Ebay can be slow to help, but I'm sure PayPal will help you out. For added protection, my brother always uses his credit card thru PayPal since they will back him up too.

You shouldn't necessarily give up on buying on ebay. Purchasing on ebay can be risky if you don't use some due diligence before buying.

Edited by Kasmos, 19 January 2018 - 10:07 PM.

#939 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:08 PM

B&L 4000. Missing finder, but very attractive price.

https://www.ebay.com...6MAAOSwALhaYoDs

OT C90, at least one pic has been in another ad. Scam???

https://www.ebay.com...QkAAOSwU91aYina

#940 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

On the bright side, I did pay with a credit card. If I absolutely have to, I suppose I can call the bank and pursue a refund that way too.

If he wasn't sure, why didn't he just put "for parts, not working"? Why the big cover up with the pictures? Why not say he wasn't sure because he didn't know anything about telescopes? I showed my neighbor (who doesn't know anything about telescopes either) and he says just glancing at it, it was obviously something big was missing and when he looked closer, he asked "where's the part the legs attach to and how do you attach and use the telescope?" I think this seller knew it was missing the mount and was trying to be as deceptive as possible to hide this. I really hate to say that, but it's the only way to make things add up.

1. This probably doesn't belong in this thread.

2.  You bought a telescope without photos of the mount and you just assumed it was there?  If that is the case, it's not the seller's fault IMHO.

#941 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:24 PM

George is right, this isn't the right thread for discussion of problem transactions.  Bring it back on topic please.

Thanks gang!

#942 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:41 AM

As this thread is getting long in the teeth, I am going to close it and open a new one.

Brian

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics