•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

35mm manual camera help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Doug

Doug

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:09 PM

Hi All, I'll be doing some deep sky photography soon with my C14. I have most of the components selected (guider etc.) except for the camera. I would like to pick up a used all manual 35mm camera body, any suggestions? :question:

Thanks.....Doug

Celestron CG-14
Celestron C6-R
TV102 / TV76
SolarMax 60 / BF-30
Losmandy G11

#2 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:37 PM

Nikon F3 HP, with DW-4 and a Beatie screen. You can pick them up on astomart for around 450 to 550 dollars. When buying the camera used make sure and ask them if the seals have dry rotted. WHen I bought mine all the seals were dry rotted and the speeds were all off. I kind of planned for that anyway though. I had already talked to a friend who can rebuild cameras in his sleep. It cost me an additional 125.00 to get the camera back to new specs.

Charles

#3 Suk Lee

Suk Lee

Aurora

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:52 PM

Ditto Charles recommendation - I have and really enjoy the same camera.

Also check out old Olympus OM1's and 2's, or the Nikon FM2.

Suk

#4 Doug

Doug

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:55 PM

Charles, Thanks for your reply but I'm trying not to spend so much $$$ right now. This type of photography is all new to me so before I really put some big $$$ into it I want to make sure that I will enjoy it. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks again.....Doug

Celestron CG-14
Celestron C6-R
TV102 / TV76
SolarMax 60 / BF-30
Losmandy G11

#5 Doug

Doug

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:56 PM

Suk, Thanks, I'll also check those out....Doug

Celestron CG-14
Celestron C6-R
TV102 / TV76
SolarMax 60 / BF-30
Losmandy G11

#6 Suk Lee

Suk Lee

Aurora

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:07 PM

Try looking on KEH.com. They're completely reliable but consequently prices are high-ish (for used stuff).

Even the stuff listed "bargain" is usually in pretty good shape and they have a 30-day no-question money-back guarantee.

Suk

#7 Allen

Allen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:28 PM

Doug,
You might find an electronic camera less expensive. Canon's Rebel or Élan for instance. Laws of supply and demand. There are not that many all manual cameras being made any longer. In the same way zoom lenses are now less than prime lenses.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:32 AM

I just picked up an F1 by canon for 175 off Astromart... An FTB will do as well, and they are around 50 bucks...

#9 Simon Chung

Simon Chung

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:36 PM

Any manual camera from Canon or Nikon will do. You basically need the mechanical 'B' (bulb) mode and a shutter release cable. I personally use Nikons for my work. The Nikon FM, FE, or even the basic EM will work like a charm - no need to spend big dollars on more expensive bodies (unless, you intend to use the same camera for terrestrial work).

Also, invest in a good knife edge focuser or ronchi screen...looking through a magnifying eyepiece or a bright focusing screen isn't always accurate, because it depends greatly on your own visual acuity.

Simon

#10 litespeed

litespeed

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:59 PM

Doug,

Those Nikons are AWESOME! That is really what I wanted and I just wasnt ready to spend that kind of dough until I knew what I was doing. I was not even sure if I would like it at all.

As it turns out my digital cameras are staying in the bag and my film cameras are getting more use? (Thanks SUK) LOL....

I started with a Pentax Spotmatic and quickly got a used Olympus OM-1N ($65.00). What a camera! I use it all the time. Mostly for non asto stuff (the exact opposite of what I bought it for). Fun easy camera to use. It is also very small and light. Which is awesome for mounting on the scope. If I ever get a clear dark night here I will post some pics from it.

Anyone want to buy a used Nikon N75? It has been covered in cobwebs since I got the Olympus.......

AJ

#11 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:48 PM

I have never used the OM-1 but it has been highly respected and was one of THE cameras to get when I was getting into 35mm. Naturally I bought a Pentax. :)

I have the KX in motordrive (two now!). Heavier than the OM-1, mechanical, nice size for my hands and has mirror lockup. Basicly a fancy Spotmatic with bayonet mount lens.

KEH.com is one of the best online places to shop. I've used them and their customer service is great.

Nikons are over rated - not a bad camera by any means, but you could do just as well with several other brands too. Depends on what you want to do.

The spotmatic has mirror lock up too by the way. There is just small trick to make it work. I was taught in half a minute.

#12 Blueshark928

Blueshark928

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:39 PM

I'll put a word in for the OM-1. I got mine on ebay two years ago for 75 dollars. The only other accessories i use with it is the varimagnifinder and screen 1-8. I like it fine so far. I have an OM-2 too. I like it alot. I use it more than the 5 year old Nikon N65 I have. At the rate i've been buying OM gear on Ebay and pro shops i'll have just about every piece of superfluous gear they made pretty soon.

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:54 AM

Just about any manual focus Nikon will have a mechanical Bulb setting for time exposures. FG, FG-20, FE/FM, FE-2/FM-2, FA, and the Nikkormats, and a bunch of other, including the pro bodies (F, F2, F3, etc.). The FG bodies are probably the lightest in weight. The EMs are fairly light as well, and I think they have mechanical bulb settings as well. The FE/FM/FA series have interchangeable focusing screens. Nikkormats are heavy. You can drive nails with them.

You could always get a Pentax K-1000.

If you want new, look at the Vivitar V3800 or V4000. About $150 from B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com, and look under SLR Cameras) and you get a lens and warranty!

#14 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:20 PM

One thing to be mindful of on "manual" cameras...
What is commonly refered to as manual nowdays, isn't necessarily a true manual camera. Most cameras of the last 25 years are electronically controlled... meaning exposure calculation and setting AND electromagnetic control of the shutter curtain. I found this out long ago when I attempted star trail photography. Set up the camera (Canon A1), on Bulb, aimed at Polaris, locked down the cable release, and went to enjoy a few BEvERages while letting a couple of hours pass by. When I went to check on the camera, the shutter had closed. All metering was dead, too. Turns out, the first half of the shutter opens by spring, and then an electromagnet holds the other curtain for the time set on shutter speed... or until the battery runs out. :foreheadslap:
There are true manual cameras available... I think the Pentax K-1000 is one and is still available. Better research make/model specs before purchasing. Long exposures will eat up batteries.

#15 Suk Lee

Suk Lee

Aurora

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:12 PM

Most cameras of the last 25 years are electronically controlled... meaning exposure calculation and setting AND electromagnetic control of the shutter curtain.

Good point. My F3 is like that, using an oscillator and electromagnet to control the shutter. However, it also has a fully mechanical "T" setting that works without batteries: open with the special mechanical release lever, close by changing the shutter speed.

My Mamiya 645 1000s has an electro-mechanical "B" setting that needs the battery to open and shut the shutter, but not to hold it open.

Suk

#16 Blueshark928

Blueshark928

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 April 2004 - 09:47 AM

So with that in mind, would the F2AS make a good astrocamera too. There are deals to be had on ebay for those things. I've been looking at the F3 to add to my collection, but i always wanted an F2AS. They just have that look that screams professional.

BTW - For astro purposes the OM-1 can be run without the batteries, which is a good thing since you cant buy the correct batteries anymore in the US.

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:02 AM

These are the camera bodies I have heard recommended a lot. They each have their advantages and disadvantages but I understand they all satisfy the majority of features required from an SLR for astrophotography.

Canon F1 and F1-N
Nikon F3
Nikon F2
Pentax LX
Pentax MX
Olympus OM-1
Olympus OM-2

More models are listed (with their features described) at an excellent page below which shows the results of a usenet survey to find out which cameras have particular features useful for astrophotography:

http://seds.lpl.ariz...nts/cameras.txt

Jason

#18 Blueshark928

Blueshark928

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:59 AM

Not much use if they cant get it right.

The OM-1 and the OM-2 both have mecahnical self timers and interchangeable focusing screens. The footnote doenst mention this, only the bit about the Varimagnifinder. You need screen 1-8 for astrophotography. Olympus also has its own t-adapter system.

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:02 AM

http://mir.com.my/rb...wares/classics/
most of the popular astrophotography cameras are coversd here in some detail if you want to make comparisons of features( albeit from a terrestial point of view)

#20 Blueshark928

Blueshark928

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:52 AM

Matt,

I've known about that site for years. It is the best web reference site ever for Olympus OM Systems gear.

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:54 PM

Does any one out there no or hear about a pentex k2?I have had it since about1975 or about.Not many people no about the k2.I have a 50 mm 1.4 lens and just got a pentex 100mm 1.4 lens for the big price of$9:95 and got a 200 mm 4.0 and want to try and get the comet with them on my power barn door.

#22 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:00 PM

I got a k2 pentex does any one no any thing about this camera,i havent found to many people no about the k2.I got it about 1975 and it is all black.I have a 50mm 1.4 lens and just got a 100mm 1.4 pentex lens for the big price of $9:95 and all so got a 200mm 4.0 lens .I am planning to take pictures of the comet with my power barn door.

#23 Blueshark928

Blueshark928

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:41 AM

If it holds film, has a bulb setting and you can tread on a cable release, it should work just fine. Buy yourself a hat, a roll of Elitechrome 200 or Fuji Provia 400 and a cheap digital kitchen timer and you'll be good to go.

#24 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 15 May 2004 - 11:26 PM

Kinda similar to my KX, a nice camera from what I read about it. Sometimes I think I should have bought the K2. But what did I know back then? You have a very nice setup for general picture taking and a great start for astro shooting.

#25 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:50 PM

Does any one know of a free ware program that tells you what f stops and time to use when taken pictures of stars.I went to a star party this week end and there was a guy who had a program.Because i ask him what film and f stops.He just asked what lens i was usen.And he said he got it off the web for free.Since i am new this program if i can find it would help me with what f stop to use.THANK YOU

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics