•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C9.25 corrector & secondary centering & looseness problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Helsinki, Finland

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

I just received a new-to-me second-hand and probably rather old C9.25 XLT (standard, non-Edge) I bought from a UK dealer with a good reputation for selling preowned scopes. The price was very reasonable and on the surface the scope is in a good, clean, but obviously used condition. No problem with that.

I noticed from the reflection that there was quite a bit of big dust particles on the secondary, and since it has Fastar secondary assembly, I figured it would  be easy to remove the secondary and give it a good blow with a blow bulb. The "Fastar" text was obliquely upside down, but I didn't pay much attention to it first. Removed the secondary, blew the biggest dust bits away, and re-installed the secondary and tightened the locking ring. Dang! Only then I realized the whole secondary assembly was rotating freely. Not super-loosely, but without excessive force anyway. Quick internet search revealed that I'm not alone with this problem, and that it should be possible to tighten the assembly by pulling the corrector plate and tightening the assembly rings from both sides.

However, the assembly was not only rotating, but also wiggling sideways in any direction as well. Maybe appr. 1 mm or so. Another quick search, and I came across John Hayes' instructions on how to check the corrector plate centering by looking at the concentricity of reflections from a distance with the secondary removed. Dang again! The corrector plate itself seems to be decentered, because wiggling the secondary holder as much as it could move in its slightly larger hole was not sufficient to make the reflections concentric.

The third problem related to all this was that - probably due to lateral movement - there's a ring of glue (or something) residue visible around the secondary holding ring on the corrector glass. Not much, maybe extending appr. 2 mm from the side of the ring here and there, and perhaps invisible to the primary because of secondary baffle, but still a bit nasty.

Now, if this was a brand new scope, I would obviously return it. I may consider returning it even it's a second hand scope (I contacted the dealer and told about my findings - still waiting for a reply), but then again, I'm pretty sure that these are issues that come with aged SCTs, and I might as well bite the bullet and try and learn to deal with them. Especially since I immediately fell in love with the size and form factor of C9.25 - easily handled, reasonably light, yet not a small scope anymore smile.gif

If I'll take that last route, I probably need some advice from you guys.

- How am I going to re-centralize both the corrector plate and the secondary holder ring based on concentricity of reflections, since I now have two degrees of freedom (decentered secondary ring & decentered corrector plate)

- Am I able to detach the whole secondary holder from the corrector plate to clean the glue (or whatever that gooey stuff is) - or should I even care, since it's such a narrow ring?

Thanks in advance!

• Live_Steam_Mad likes this

#2 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:44 PM

Did some actual measurements to help you put the problem into perspective:

- the freedom of lateral movement of the secondary within its hole in the plate is less than I thought: 0.4-0.5 mm. Perhaps this is so little, that I don't really have to care about its exact position within the hole, as long as I get it tight enough so that it doesn't move by itself (free, uncontrolled movement of 0.5 mm would obviously make preservation of accurate collimation impossible, I presume). E.g. John Hayes in his corrector centering instructions tells that the accuracy of "concentricity of reflections" -method is appr. 0.5 mm. Still, let me tell ya, when something's moving that's not supposed to be moving, it feels SCARY, and 0.5 mm feels like 5 mm bigshock.gif

- as I wrote above, based on concentricity of reflections, the corrector plate is decentered. Just based on simple ruler measurements, it seems to be off center by about 2 mm (i.e. much more than explained by the loose secondary).

Now, my thinking of the solution to the problem would be:

1) pull out the corrector (making notes of its orientation to ensure proper re-installation), tighten the secondary holder, without stressing too much about its lateral position within the hole of the corrector.

2) now, with the appropriately immobile secondary holder, center the corrector plate using the "concentricity of reflections" -method

3) collimate secondary using a star

4) observe and be happy

Comments?

P.S. Note that I still don't know what to do with the gooey residue around the secondary holder. Maybe cleaning that should happen somewhere during step #1.

Edited by Axunator, 05 December 2017 - 06:30 AM.

#3 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

Loose secondaries seem to be endemic to C9.25s for some obscure reason. I had one and it had a loose secondary too.

Now, a secondary doesn't have to be centered absolutely. This is because it is spherical and a lateral motion of a sphere off the optical axis can be compensated by tilting it, i.e., collimating it to bring it back onto the optical axis. You'll just end up with slightly uneven field illumination at the edges but that is all. What is more important is to have it in the same rotational position as the marks on the secondary indicate. There is usually a mark/serial number visible at the edge of the corrector when you remove the corrector retaining ring. There is also usually a mark on the secondary edge. Both should align for best performance. In my case, I verified this with Roddier testing.

Regarding the secondary centering, this is important but I would assume it was centered correctly at the factory and if you remove it to tighten the secondary assembly, either measure its position beforehand, using the corrector cell rim as a reference, or mark the positions of any shims and make sure they are replaced exactly as before. It also goes without saying that the corrector should be reinstalled in the same rotational position as before. If you have centering screws for the corrector, people have recommended loosening only two a measured number of turns and then tightening them the same amount.

Starizona sells replacement gaskets that keep the secondary securely in place.

Good luck!

Tanveer.

• Live_Steam_Mad and Axunator like this

#4 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

Thanks Tanveer! I got excellent instructions also from John Hayes on how to address this problem - they were very much in line with your experience. I also ordered a new gasket from Starizona. 

My secondary mirror edge itself does not have any markings or serial numbers. If I rotate it so that the "fastar" text is horizontal and upright, this will place the alignment notch of the Fastar assembly at 6 o'clock position, but I don't know whether the orientation of the text has any real meaning for this purpose. I'll have to check if there's an alignment mark on the corrector plate to align the notch with, as per John's suggestion.

It's obvious that the corrector plate of my scope is clearly off center. While it remains a possibility that it was adjusted this way at the factory on purpose, I have a suspicion that the previous owner has removed the plate at some point (hopefully reinstalling it at proper rotational orientation!), and may have messed up the centering while doing this. I may try to re-center it using John's method.

#5 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

My secondary mirror edge itself does not have any markings or serial numbers.

If you can't find any markings on the glass edge of the secondary mirror, that would be strange...

#6 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:13 PM

Thanks Tanveer! I got excellent instructions also from John Hayes on how to address this problem - they were very much in line with your experience. I also ordered a new gasket from Starizona. 

My secondary mirror edge itself does not have any markings or serial numbers. If I rotate it so that the "fastar" text is horizontal and upright, this will place the alignment notch of the Fastar assembly at 6 o'clock position, but I don't know whether the orientation of the text has any real meaning for this purpose. I'll have to check if there's an alignment mark on the corrector plate to align the notch with, as per John's suggestion.

It's obvious that the corrector plate of my scope is clearly off center. While it remains a possibility that it was adjusted this way at the factory on purpose, I have a suspicion that the previous owner has removed the plate at some point (hopefully reinstalling it at proper rotational orientation!), and may have messed up the centering while doing this. I may try to re-center it using John's method.

Forget about the text orientation.  As I mentioned in my instructions, you should orient the notch in the secondary holder to line up with the mark on the corrector plate.  Sometimes the mark on the glass is on the bottom where it is bonded to the tilt plate so that you can't see it.

John

#7 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:01 AM

My secondary mirror edge itself does not have any markings or serial numbers.

If you can't find any markings on the glass edge of the secondary mirror, that would be strange...

No markings whatsoever. There's a picture of it below, looks like that all around the edge of the glass. However, it's not a problem, because the secondary holder can go into the metal ring in the corrector plate in only one orientation, because of the notch in the holder ring, also pictured below. This notch dictates the rotational orientation of the secondary, just like John mentioned.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2555.jpg
  • IMG_2556.jpg

#8 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:13 AM

Forget about the text orientation.  As I mentioned in my instructions, you should orient the notch in the secondary holder to line up with the mark on the corrector plate.  Sometimes the mark on the glass is on the bottom where it is bonded to the tilt plate so that you can't see it.

John

waytogo.gif Gotcha! My next problem will be these pegs pictured below. They prevent me from detaching the outer corrector plate retaining ring (there are two of them on the opposite sides). Their function is to hold the front dust cap in place. They are not screws, and they seem to be in place very tightly. There is not enough space to slide the retaining ring and the corrector plate under the pegs. I'm afraid to use a lot of force and metal tools so close to corrector plate.  I don't want to cut them, because then the dust cap would not stay in place anymore. And I need to be able to remove the corrector plate to 1) check the markings to orient the notch in the secondary holder, and 2) install the new secondary holder ring gasket once it arrives.

How should I remove these pegs?

EDIT: These pegs are basically rivets. It seems impossible to remove them without destroying them (half destroyed the other one already by trying - luckily no functional damage..). How can I pull out the corrector from the front then? confused1.gif

Right now I'm thinking of cutting the other one, drilling and tapping a hole through it, and replacing it with a small screw.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2558.jpg

Edited by Axunator, 06 December 2017 - 07:23 AM.

#9 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

The ring is flexible plastic. You should be able to bend it a little to get it out even with the pegs in place.

• TG and Axunator like this

#10 GolfSierra

GolfSierra

Ranger 4

• Loc: Michigan North of 45

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

The ring is flexible plastic. You should be able to bend it a little to get it out even with the pegs in place.

I second that, you have to be careful when bending the ring but it will come off over the pins and on again.I actually thought of splitting the the ring to ease a future removal.It never ceases to amaze me how they always make the easiest solution the most difficult. I can hear it now "why would you want to remove the retaining ring" so says tech support. It makes you wonder if anyone there ever puts to use what they manufacture.

• Live_Steam_Mad and Axunator like this

#11 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

If the pins weren't right next to the retaining ring fasteners, a couple of small notches would be a better solution.  

• Axunator likes this

#12 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:43 PM

Sheeze.  Celestron probably saves 1.0356 cents per scope by using those things instead of a threaded screw that would serve the same purpose.  That just seems stupid.

John

• Axunator likes this

#13 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:56 AM

John

Yes, I remember the marking on my C11HD secondary lined up with the notch.

#14 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:55 AM

Thanks y'all, I'll give it another try.

I can hear it now "why would you want to remove the retaining ring" so says tech support. It makes you wonder if anyone there ever puts to use what they manufacture.

funnypost.gif

If the pins weren't right next to the retaining ring fasteners, a couple of small notches would be a better solution.  

Notches would be a good idea. And they wouldn't have to be right next to screw holes, because you could always rotate the ring after removing the screws to align the notches with the pins.

Sheeze.  Celestron probably saves 1.0356 cents per scope by using those things instead of a threaded screw that would serve the same purpose.  That just seems stupid.

John

My thoughts exactly.

Come to think of it, it might be a good idea to replace both of them with detachable screws anyway. Even if it is possible to remove the retaining ring and the corrector plate with the pins in place, it 1) makes it unnecessarily difficult, and 2) poses an unnecessary risk of damaging the corrector plate, as I can already see with my mind's eye how I will hit the edge of the corrector plate to that tiny, sharp pin, chipping the plate bawling.gif

• Cpk133 likes this

#15 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

Mission almost accomplished! grin.gif  I was able to remove the retainer ring and corrector plate, now that I had the courage to bend the ring enough (still, I think that those unremovable pegs are just inexcusably bad engineering). Lo and behold, there was a black line drawn at the edge of the corrector plate (and no other markings), which I believe indicates the direction of the notch in the secondary holder ring, just like John said there would be! Moreover, there was an old tape remnant at the edge of the corrector cell, which gives me hope that the previous owner had been smart enough to mark the rotational orientation of the corrector plate before removing it. So now I hopefully have the rotational alignment of both front elements in order (or at least as they were set at the factory). Huge thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement! bow.gif flowerred.gif

I don't have the new gasket from Starizona yet, so I will have to do the whole exercise once more, but at least now I know how to do it laugh.gif I did tighten the secondary holder ring from both sides a bit while I had the corrector off, so now it's good enough to at least have a test look through the scope and practice collimating the secondary, while waiting for the gasket.

Today I also received Baader ClickLock 2" visual back and ADM Vixen-Losmandy Dual Saddle for my HEQ5 (really nice piece of work, albeit quite a bit heavier than the original saddle - the C9.25 came with Losmandy dovetail so ADM was a no-brainer), so I'm starting to get ready to rock'n'roll with this baby! Now I just have to get rid of the clouds somehow...tongue2.gif

• Cpk133 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics