Canon EOS 70D at TS Photoline 60 mm f/5.5 - FPL-53 apochromatic refractor with flattener
Tracked by Skywatcher StarAdventurer mount on carbon tripod, no filter
Controlled by Eclipse Orchestrator software via laptop
Location: Total Eclipse Camping, between Mitchell and Service Creek, Oregon
Exposure: Composite of 39 images with exposure times from 1/3200 seconds to 4 seconds, ISO 200
At first, I calibrated the single frames (dark frames, flat frames for images with exposure times longer than 1/30 sec exposure time. Then I applied the Pellett method (with a radial blur filter, amount: 10, method: spin, quality: best) as described by Jerry Lodriguss on his website, by using Adobe Photoshop. And then I additionally applied the Larson-Sekanina-Filter with Fitswork (5 different versions with radius 0.5 pixels and rotation 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 degrees, respectively). I multiplied each of these filtered results with the original stacks. Then I removed artifacts (2 dark spots next to each brighter star) with the clone stamp tool in PS and stacked the 5 images together.
Then I created another composite of 2 images with 1/2 sec and 1/15 sec exposure time, extracted the moon's "disk" from that exposure, enlarged it slightly, and pasted it onto the TSE composite image.
The whole procedure with several intermediate steps (and a few alternative versions not included in this contest) is documented here:
Summary of software used: Fitswork, Adobe Photoshop
TSE_composite Robin.jpg 70.81KB