•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Powermate 4x on xx14g

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reinverse

reinverse

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:34 AM

Hello, I recently upgraded my scope from 8” to 14” and still somewhat experimenting eyepieces.

So far the two times I observed the 82* of ES and meade work great!

I was looking into getting more higher magnification and came up with the idea of using a 2” powermate 4x on my eyepieces.  This would allow me to use all my 2” and 1.25” eyepieces with different magnifications.

I understand observing over 400x is rare and probably not so practical unless really clear conditions, but I read reviews that larger dobsonians can handle higher magnification?

Please let me know if this would be a good idea or if there are other potential issues I might be facing.

Thank you in advance!

#2 starcam

starcam

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:57 AM

Dawes limit the 14" should go up too x700 and it will and beyond on certain items like binaries and the moon, saturn.

I was viewing the orion nebula at x800 and I do not have pristine skies like mag 3.5. It was like i was in the cloud.

I also prefer to use minimal glass, so no barlow. Using the vixen 2mm hr as not easy, it didn't show a lot of the nebula and and constant nudging. The contrast was great.

• Jeff Struve and aeajr like this

#3 aeajr

aeajr

Cosmos

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:22 AM

I have an XT8i.   However XX14G has been a possible upgrade target for some day, so I am interested to ready the feedback you receive.

I would think a major factor would be atmospheric conditions.    Starcam, it is exciting to hear you have been able to take your 14" scope to 800X and still have a usable visual image.   

I am going to follow along to see what guidance is provided.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics