•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Powermate 4x on xx14g

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reinverse

reinverse

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:34 AM

Hello, I recently upgraded my scope from 8” to 14” and still somewhat experimenting eyepieces.

So far the two times I observed the 82* of ES and meade work great!

I was looking into getting more higher magnification and came up with the idea of using a 2” powermate 4x on my eyepieces.  This would allow me to use all my 2” and 1.25” eyepieces with different magnifications.

I understand observing over 400x is rare and probably not so practical unless really clear conditions, but I read reviews that larger dobsonians can handle higher magnification?

Please let me know if this would be a good idea or if there are other potential issues I might be facing.

Thank you in advance!

#2 starcam

starcam

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:57 AM

Dawes limit the 14" should go up too x700 and it will and beyond on certain items like binaries and the moon, saturn.

I was viewing the orion nebula at x800 and I do not have pristine skies like mag 3.5. It was like i was in the cloud.

I also prefer to use minimal glass, so no barlow. Using the vixen 2mm hr as not easy, it didn't show a lot of the nebula and and constant nudging. The contrast was great.

• Jeff Struve and aeajr like this

#3 aeajr

aeajr

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:22 AM

I have an XT8i.   However XX14G has been a possible upgrade target for some day, so I am interested to ready the feedback you receive.

I would think a major factor would be atmospheric conditions.    Starcam, it is exciting to hear you have been able to take your 14" scope to 800X and still have a usable visual image.   

I am going to follow along to see what guidance is provided.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics