•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Asteroid 558 Carmen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:28 AM

Spent an hour tracking 558 Carmen, a pretty faint 13.6 magn asteroid presently in Cetus.  80mm APO @ f/6, Atik 414EX with IR blocking filter.

558-carmen_asteroid_invert_jferreira_06d

• Sunspot, PrestonE, sfugardi and 10 others like this

#2 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Viking 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

Incredible... Thank You for your post and image. bow.gif 

#3 einarin

einarin

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:36 AM

Nice to see asteroids here once in a while.

Looked up and this asteroid seems to have 11h period so with just a few nights could produce a light curve (granted I couldn't find how much brightness varies).

I just recently imaged asteroid  44 Nysa which has a period of only 6 hours and varies between 8.8 and 12.5 mag. Could only image about 1 hour but brightness variation was obvious.

• old_frankland and happylimpet like this

#4 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

Nice to see asteroids here once in a while.

Looked up and this asteroid seems to have 11h period so with just a few nights could produce a light curve (granted I couldn't find how much brightness varies).

I just recently imaged asteroid  44 Nysa which has a period of only 6 hours and varies between 8.8 and 12.5 mag. Could only image about 1 hour but brightness variation was obvious.

How large a scope are you using for photometry?  I'm still in the dabbling stage, but am looking to do astrometry with my C9 once I get the computer time synch thing going.

#5 einarin

einarin

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Nysa is so bright that I could measure it with my 80mm refractor.

But I have done exoplanet transit measurements of a 13 mag star with my C8 scope.

• old_frankland likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics