•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Asteroid 558 Carmen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:28 AM

Spent an hour tracking 558 Carmen, a pretty faint 13.6 magn asteroid presently in Cetus.  80mm APO @ f/6, Atik 414EX with IR blocking filter.

558-carmen_asteroid_invert_jferreira_06d

• Sunspot, PrestonE, sfugardi and 11 others like this

#2 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Viking 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

Incredible... Thank You for your post and image. bow.gif 

#3 einarin

einarin

Apollo

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:36 AM

Nice to see asteroids here once in a while.

Looked up and this asteroid seems to have 11h period so with just a few nights could produce a light curve (granted I couldn't find how much brightness varies).

I just recently imaged asteroid  44 Nysa which has a period of only 6 hours and varies between 8.8 and 12.5 mag. Could only image about 1 hour but brightness variation was obvious.

• old_frankland and happylimpet like this

#4 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

Nice to see asteroids here once in a while.

Looked up and this asteroid seems to have 11h period so with just a few nights could produce a light curve (granted I couldn't find how much brightness varies).

I just recently imaged asteroid  44 Nysa which has a period of only 6 hours and varies between 8.8 and 12.5 mag. Could only image about 1 hour but brightness variation was obvious.

How large a scope are you using for photometry?  I'm still in the dabbling stage, but am looking to do astrometry with my C9 once I get the computer time synch thing going.

#5 einarin

einarin

Apollo

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Nysa is so bright that I could measure it with my 80mm refractor.

But I have done exoplanet transit measurements of a 13 mag star with my C8 scope.

• old_frankland likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics