•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Long ED doublets at last !

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Theys

Frank Theys

Vendor (FrTelescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:37 AM

Logo2red.jpg

Well, it took nearly 2 years for the first 120 mm F12.5 ED doublets to become reality at last. As some of you already know these are designed and produced by Lichtenknecker Optics, Hasselt-Belgium and have very good color correction besides being very lightweight (only 1.15 kg!) so with very fast cooling characteristics. 

spotdiagramFrT120EDredb.jpg

They are available lens only or as a complete telescope tube, the FrT120dED (weight : 7.9 kg).

FrTdED120_02a.jpg

FrT120lens01a.jpg

First observations on the moon show a lens that has no color that I can see and that accepts high magnifications with ease retaining high contrast and brightness.

This is a run of only 10 pieces, so if you have for a long time wanted such a long focus ED lens this is your chance.

Best regards,

Frank Theys

FrTelescopes

http://www.frtelescopes.com/frt120ded

• stevew, Jeff B, OleCuss and 5 others like this

#2 dothead

dothead

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:37 AM

very good news, indeed!

This is a nice alternative for those for whom the 150 mm F/15 ED doublet, available from AOK Swiss (lens also made by Lichtenknecker) is a bit too large a telescope.

Could you please disclose which glass types are used in your 120 mm F/12.5 ?  FPL 51 ?

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Skylab

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:17 AM

While anything but cheap, these are interesting and hopefully they will be useful to some regulars.  I am somewhat confused.  The link says "7.9 kg" for "telescope weight" (OTA?) vs. 1.15 kg above?  I like the option, even if am not waiting for an ~5" diameter, long ratio ED refractor.

I assume the focuser in the original link is 2", vs. 1.25"?  This sort of info should be in the description.

Glass type should be listed.   FPL-51 might be respectable at this ratio.  FPL-53 doesn't require any pencil sharpening.

#4 Frank Theys

Frank Theys

Vendor (FrTelescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

To clarify some things :

"telescope weight" is indeed "OTA weight" which is 7.9 kg  and the 1.15 kg is the weight of the lens only (lens with lenscell).

It is a 2" focuser (Moonlite) as explained in the "general specifications".

The precise glass types used are proprietary to Lichtenknecker Optics who prefer not to divulge them, there is certainly no FPL-53 used. What is of importance is the end result in the spotdiagram : all colors come to focus inside the Airy disc, performance was shown to be better than a classic Steinheil FPL-51 doublet of the same dimensions. The goal is NOT to minimise CA to the max but to reduce it significantly and at the same time reduce other second order abberations often present in short focal ratio lenses, certainly doublets.

Frank Theys

• Catapoman likes this

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:23 AM

To me it would seem like a waste to use FPL53 in an F12.5. If I am going to pay up for FPL53 I want a shorter tube.

• Jon_Doh likes this

#6 dothead

dothead

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

Well, at least some people thought/think different - the very reason of the APOMAX's (130 mm F/12 ED oiled triplet) existence was its superior color correction & image quality.

FPL53 or CaF2 is mandatory in a 10 inch F/12 doublet, for instance. A 10 inch F/12 FPL 51 doublet would not exhibit APO color correction - neither would a 10 inch F/8 FPL 53 doublet...

Edited by dothead, 09 December 2017 - 06:35 PM.

#7 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Any word on optical quality? Do they come with test report?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics