•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bresser EXOS-2 mount - Skywatcher Dual Drives?.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 morden8uk

morden8uk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southampton, England

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:40 AM

Hi All,

Can you fit Skywatcher Dual drives to a Bresser EXOS-2 mount?. I understand the EXOS-2 is a LXD75 / EQ5 clone?!!.. I'm just looking to see if my EQ5 dual drive set would work with this mount?.

Regards, Rob

https://www.telescop...ASABEgKtePD_BwE

#2 gs2offroad

gs2offroad

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:03 AM

Hi All,

Can you fit Skywatcher Dual drives to a Bresser EXOS-2 mount?. I understand the EXOS-2 is a LXD75 / EQ5 clone?!!.. I'm just looking to see if my EQ5 dual drive set would work with this mount?.

Regards, Rob

https://www.telescop...ASABEgKtePD_BwE

From all I've read online the answer is yes but never know for certain until making the plunge.  APM telescopes in Germany lists the Skywatcher RA drive on Ebay for $117.58 but the shipping from overseas costs $32 so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

#3 morden8uk

morden8uk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

Its only because I have the Dual drives already and hoped they would retro fit directly :)

#4 gs2offroad

gs2offroad

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

I finally went ahead and ordered a Skywatcher EQ5 drive from the UK.  Will take a few weeks to receive but will report back how it fits the EXOS-2.

#5 morden8uk

morden8uk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:53 AM

Cool.. will be good to hear how you get on :)

#6 gs2offroad

gs2offroad

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:33 PM

Cool.. will be good to hear how you get on smile.gif

So I received and installed a Skywatcher EQ5 drive on my Bresser EXOS-2.  I ordered just a single drive for RA.  It fit and works fine, the only problem was the supplied mounting bolt was too short, I had to use one about 10mm longer.  Just got done studying the moon for the last hour.  So nice to not have track manually anymore!  Just did a rough polar alignment, got it within a degree which was close enough to keep my subject centered in the eyepiece for as long as I cared to look.

So the bottom line is the EQ5 RA drive works on the EXOS-2, I'm sure the dual-drive kit would work also.  Hope this helps!

11jnfci.jpg

2i0f67n.jpg

• morden8uk and petmic like this

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

LOL, one issue with fitting the LXD55/75 drives on the CG-5 was that the RA bolt was too LONG! As far as I know that's the only issue.

Rolling my own. Software and electrons are done. Now I have to work on the motor mounts.

Dual Drive.jpg

#8 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

So the bottom line is the EQ5 RA drive works on the EXOS-2, I'm sure the dual-drive kit would work also.  Hope this helps!

Just for what it's worth (additional data point only)...

A friend has an EXOS-2 with dual axis Meade (LXD70?) motors on it, which look pretty much identical to your photos. He and I both have come to the conclusion that the manual Dec slo-mo with a flex shaft is more useful and easier than the motor. The motor is geared presumably for guiding, not slewing (certainly) and IMO not really even visual 'adjusting'. It's just too slow.

I agree 1000% that RA tracking is phenomenal - That's how I felt years ago when I added an aftermarket RA motor to my old Celestron Polaris, following a decade or more of manual tracking. Heaven!!  :)   So I initially thought the Dec motor would be nice, but it turned out that after figuring out which button was the right direction (in the eyepiece) and waiting for it to creep over (or finding the right direction to move the speed switch), etc., I could've adjusted the view five times with the manual knob.

If it's goto mount, it's a different universe, but for just tracking, IMO, motorized RA - Absolutely, but motorized Dec? meh...  

We're keeping his Dec motor as a replacement if the RA motor fails.  :)

#9 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

Len, I agree, at least for GEMs. The PowerStar is more limited with its tangent arm Dec correction. Thus good polar alignment helps minimize corrections. The Dec knobs can be difficult to reach on a wedged fork mount and much like using the focuser, using the knobs can cause vibrations. The Dec driver on the Arduino system can be easily used for the focuser if Dec is not desired.

#10 morden8uk

morden8uk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the update.. Really good to know it works.

Rob

#11 morden8uk

morden8uk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:13 AM

Sorry forgot to ask what the bolt size is?. M5/M6 maybe?. Also as aside, I'm also guessing a further upgrade could be to the Skywatcher Synscan goto?.

Thanks

Edited by morden8uk, 20 February 2018 - 05:20 AM.

#12 Adun

Adun

Vanguard

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

Rolling my own. Software and electrons are done. Now I have to work on the motor mounts.

Interesting.

I recently got the much smaller Exos Nano, which I planned to motorize and was considering making a go-to project with Arduino/ESP8266. Just yesterday I did the numbers, and for RA at sidereal speed to get several steps per second (a "smooth view") I'd need a stepper with gear reduction ($41) because a cheap ($12) 200spr wouldn't do. That made me feel I was better off just getting the ($34) Celestron drive that fits this mount and forget about the go-to project. Given that the price difference between the Exos 2 and it's go-to brethren is around $150, using $40 motors on a DIY upgrade sounded less appealing.

Now, since you did this for RA+DEC driving, which stepper did you use for RA? Did you add any extra reduction? How satisfied are you with it? Is the result good enough for imaging?

#13 petmic

petmic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Europe

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

So I received and installed a Skywatcher EQ5 drive on my Bresser EXOS-2.  I ordered just a single drive for RA.  It fit and works fine, the only problem was the supplied mounting bolt was too short, I had to use one about 10mm longer.  Just got done studying the moon for the last hour.  So nice to not have track manually anymore!  Just did a rough polar alignment, got it within a degree which was close enough to keep my subject centered in the eyepiece for as long as I cared to look.

That is a very useful information. I am just wondering if the plastic cover (in red circle) fits over the stepper motor. Could you confirm that, please?

1.jpg

#14 gs2offroad

gs2offroad

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

That is a very useful information. I am just wondering if the plastic cover (in red circle) fits over the stepper motor. Could you confirm that, please?
attachicon.gif 1.jpg

There is some interference between the stepper motor housing and the plastic cover and the hole doesn’t exactly line up with the controller port. You could make it fit with some Dremel work but I just leave it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • petmic likes this

#15 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

There is some interference between the stepper motor housing and the plastic cover and the hole doesn’t exactly line up with the controller port. You could make it fit with some Dremel work but I just leave it off.

That's exactly what I did on my friend's mount. I enlarged the hole to accomodate the port. Once done, it fits fine and provides at least a modicum of dust protection.

• petmic likes this

#16 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

Adun, this set up is for an old Celestron fork mount that had a Vixen based DD-1 controller. The RA is a 359 tooth Byers worm gear set. The OEM stepper is a Nippon Pulse Motor with 7.5° steps and a 300:1 gear reduction:

PS.jpg

With the setup the stepping rate is fine and accurate to 0.2%.

The EQ-3 with a 200/1.8° step and no gearhead and running it at 16X microsteps/step looks like this. 

Nano.jpg

So you can get about half the resolution of the Powerstar gearing by simply using 16X microstepping. The UNO/Nano/Pro mini Easy Driver can handle that. The DRV8825 will double that and the LV8729 64X. Frankly, I don't see the need for 128X+, complexity and expense of the TMC2660. Not sure that they will work with the 8 bit Arduinos. if not, you're looking at an more expensive, like 10X, processor.

You mention the ESP8266 are you also intending to embed wifi?

This $2 UNO and $3 L293 motor shield had not trouble driving this LX5 at 16X with 12VDC. The shield is also driving 2 DC motors, such as, a Dec and focuser.

LX5 Drv.jpg

• gillismail7 likes this

#17 gillismail7

gillismail7

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Thirroul

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

I hope this is the right place to post as per PM. 

I would,like to use this same controller setup  for a celestron powerstar.

Could you please post complete details for the motor driver board and arduino setup. ? I can solder a damaged capacitor on a board but that is about it. Attached is photo of identical base with Nippon pulse 300:1 motor wired to face plate din plug.

Adun, this set up is for an old Celestron fork mount that had a Vixen based DD-1 controller. The RA is a 359 tooth Byers worm gear set. The OEM stepper is a Nippon Pulse Motor with 7.5° steps and a 300:1 gear reduction:

attachicon.gif PS.jpg

With the setup the stepping rate is fine and accurate to 0.2%.

The EQ-3 with a 200/1.8° step and no gearhead and running it at 16X microsteps/step looks like this. 

attachicon.gif Nano.jpg

So you can get about half the resolution of the Powerstar gearing by simply using 16X microstepping. The UNO/Nano/Pro mini Easy Driver can handle that. The DRV8825 will double that and the LV8729 64X. Frankly, I don't see the need for 128X+, complexity and expense of the TMC2660. Not sure that they will work with the 8 bit Arduinos. if not, you're looking at an more expensive, like 10X, processor.

You mention the ESP8266 are you also intending to embed wifi?

This $2 UNO and $3 L293 motor shield had not trouble driving this LX5 at 16X with 12VDC. The shield is also driving 2 DC motors, such as, a Dec and focuser.

attachicon.gif LX5 Drv.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics