•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Abell Galaxy Cluster 426

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:14 AM

Not long after I got my first "good" telescope, my 8-inch Criterion RV-8 Dynascope Newtonian reflector, as my Christmas gift in 1971, I became fascinated with the Perseus Galaxy Cluster.One reason I am so fond of this collection of more than 500 galaxies is that the cluster grows as the telescope's aperture increases. Small backyard scopes will show the two big kids on the block, NGC 1272 and NGC 1275, but even the largest amateur instruments fail to show all of the "little guys."

Click here to view the article
  • okiestarman56, Miguelo, happylimpet and 2 others like this

#2 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:34 AM

Nice one Phil!

On the bucket list - yes, I have a Sky Safari list appropriately labelled "Bucket List"!

• PhilH likes this

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Skylab

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

500 galaxies...what did I do to you, Phil?  Are you trying to kill me via sleep deprivation?  

Oh well, I guess there are worse ways to go than seeing how deep one can peer into an Abell Galaxy Cluster.

Thanks for the article, I suppose I need to start marking up that A4 Uranometria chart so that I am ready to go really deep.   

Kudos for listing v, b, and p where known.  V is often 0.5 to 1.0 mag brighter than b or p so this can have substantial impact on visibility for those with smaller scopes and/or in poorer skies.

• PhilH likes this

#4 NiteGuy

NiteGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

And now this, just when I thought knocking off 60 of M31's globular clusters in one night with the 17.5" was a nice accomplishment. Turns out that was just a drop in the bucket (list).

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 AM

Thank you, Phil. Abell Clusters are my favorite objects! Ah, yes! I looked at A426 this past Oct18/19, with the JMI RB-16 binos. Here's from my journal: "1281, etc. Perseus Cluster, loaded with galaxies! Individual galaxies tough among stars at 102x. So, yes, I do see it pretty well, but recall the 29, under great conditions was much easier. Night Vision definitely helps, shows myriad galaxies in field, ten, at least distinct ones vs like two with the Panos at 102x. But, the NV impression is WAY different [80x]. The galaxies (vs stars) have soft halos and all have star-like, softish cores (ie the NIR penetration). The NV is not aesthetic, but certainly distinguishes galaxies from stars. Good Night! ~fin~"  Then, just last night, Dec 10th, I reviewed all of my astrophoto negatives from 1984-1992. Quite a few Abells in there too!  Tom

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted Yesterday, 09:25 AM

Ummm... Phil, your annotation to the eyepiece sketch, "the author's 18-inch (46cm) refractor." REFRACTOR?! If so, WOW!  Tom

#7 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted Today, 02:28 AM

The last time that I observed A426 was on the night of November 24th. I had a brief look at the center of the cluster through a 25" Obsession Dob belonging to a fellow CAS member. I would have tried to do a better count than I did but the position I was in on the ladder was a bit uncomfortable.

Dave Mitsky

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics