•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wireless Control of an Astro-Video Camera’s On-Screen Display (OSD) Options and Video

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 F Wegener

F Wegener

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

Astrovideography has been around for a number of years now. The video cameras used cover a wide range of manufacturers and price points. Some are designed specifically for the astronomy community, while others are high resolution security cameras that have been adapted for use. There are already a number of articles online detailing the use of these cameras, so I won’t go into that. Most of the cameras have buttons on their back panels that are pressed to make adjustments using their OSD (On Screen Display), options. This, of course, requires the user to physically touch the device multiple times once it has been aligned to a desired target, so is not ideal! If you know what you’re doing, you can very carefully add a multi-wire cable to the camera, soldering connections to the internal switching. After running said cable to a homemade switch box, you can then adjust the settings without touching the camera; however, you now have a 12 volt cable to the mount, another one to the camera, a video cable from the camera to the monitor and another cable running to the homemade control box. I wanted to simplify this issue!

Click here to view the article

#2 MMBARS

MMBARS

Sputnik

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

It would be great if this set up could be made commercially available at a reasonable rate for those of us who do not have the electronic skills of the author. 

• shadowpdiggity likes this

#3 jj_morgan

jj_morgan

Lift Off

• Loc: Springfield, IL

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

As a disabled observer I am very interested in building a good setup for visual astronomy!

#4 AC5TF

AC5TF

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: tennessee

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

I wish I had the resources to MAKE it commercially available! If I could find a source for the UTC chips, I believe I could make it considerably smaller and simpler. Electronics is both a career and hobby interest and I enjoy designing gadgets. A few years back, I wrote up an article on building a Bluetooth wireless control system for the (then new), Meade LX80 mount. I have since discovered it is adaptable to virtually any mount that offers RS-232 serial control and can be built for around $40 or less. If anyone has an interest, you might Google "Bluetooth wireless control of meade lx80."

#5 shadowpdiggity

shadowpdiggity

Vostok 1

• Loc: new haven, indiana

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

I need something like this as my controller for my dso1 got stepped on somehow. Unfortunately I am not skilled enough to do this myself. All looks foreign to me. Oh how I wish this was on the market.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics