•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I have started EAA

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 R&WMnuts

R&WMnuts

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rural east Texas

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

I received a new Revolution 2 monday. Just beginning to learn the ins and outs. Right now its hooked up to a Celestron Omni XLT 120 refractor. I put in a polar aligner and drive motors. If this something I think I'll stick with I might then get a different scope. Had to do some tinkering to get it to focus. Other than that is seems to work well. One benefit is I don't have to constantly take off and on my glasses. I'll keep you posted as I progress.  

• Relativist, Gary Z and ghostboo like this

#2 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Gemini

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio --Bloomdale

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

I too have just started down this path and received my Revolution 2 imager Saturday.  I had been considering this for a year, and when the price temporarily dipped to $249 a week ago I couldn't resist.  After tinkering with it a bit I've decided to build a new scope especially for it using a 127 mm f/5.5 (700 mm FL) achromatic objective I already have.  That 700 mm focal length with the supplied 0.5 focal reducer will get me a decent enough image size for a lot of objects that I want to look at. I don't think I'd want to go any longer in focal length based on the field of views I see testing in my homemade dob. 

I see your refractor is listed as having 1000 mm focal length, and suspect that you may be having trouble getting enough in-focus with the reducer.  If you attach the reducer to the camera before the 1.25" adapter (and possibly the IR/UV filter as well) you won't require as much in-focus, though your true field will be a little smaller.  If you are after DSOs like I am, however, I think you'll find too many of them will be larger than your true field using the R2 with your scope. 

I know the sensor size is fairly small, as far as such things go, but consider this purchase great for the price.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics