•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I have started EAA

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 R&WMnuts

R&WMnuts

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rural east Texas

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

I received a new Revolution 2 monday. Just beginning to learn the ins and outs. Right now its hooked up to a Celestron Omni XLT 120 refractor. I put in a polar aligner and drive motors. If this something I think I'll stick with I might then get a different scope. Had to do some tinkering to get it to focus. Other than that is seems to work well. One benefit is I don't have to constantly take off and on my glasses. I'll keep you posted as I progress.  

• Relativist, Gary Z and ghostboo like this

#2 jtsenghas  Happy Birthday!

jtsenghas

Gemini

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio --Bloomdale

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

I too have just started down this path and received my Revolution 2 imager Saturday.  I had been considering this for a year, and when the price temporarily dipped to $249 a week ago I couldn't resist.  After tinkering with it a bit I've decided to build a new scope especially for it using a 127 mm f/5.5 (700 mm FL) achromatic objective I already have.  That 700 mm focal length with the supplied 0.5 focal reducer will get me a decent enough image size for a lot of objects that I want to look at. I don't think I'd want to go any longer in focal length based on the field of views I see testing in my homemade dob. 

I see your refractor is listed as having 1000 mm focal length, and suspect that you may be having trouble getting enough in-focus with the reducer.  If you attach the reducer to the camera before the 1.25" adapter (and possibly the IR/UV filter as well) you won't require as much in-focus, though your true field will be a little smaller.  If you are after DSOs like I am, however, I think you'll find too many of them will be larger than your true field using the R2 with your scope. 

I know the sensor size is fairly small, as far as such things go, but consider this purchase great for the price.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics