•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

De-forking a Meade LX50 EMC 10 inch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Berrett

Berrett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

Hey all,

I no longer use this old scope primarily due to the fork mount.  Its been sitting in my house doing nothing for years now so i've been trying to sell it.  Looking around though I see that some people have managed to de-fork the things and remount them on CGEM mounts.

Is it worth going through the hassle of doing this?  What dovetail mount plate would even fit this model if I went through with it?  Its a great scope and I feel bad trying to sell it.

• Augustus likes this

#2 bobito

bobito

Viking 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:23 PM

I'm about to do the same on my 12" LX200 so I can use it in tandem with my refractor on a side by side alt/az mount.  ADM sells the radius blocks and dovetails, I think it was $125 for the 12".

#3 CharlesW

CharlesW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

I deformed a Meade 10” not too long ago. It isn’t at all obvious how they attach the OTA mounting plates to the forks. Keep a drill handy so you can just bore through the fork to reach the socket heads holding the OTA on. 

#4 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Messenger

• Loc: Encinitas, CA

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

I bet you deformed it!

Trivial five minute job, no drill required (ugh) if you just lay the scope down on a table with the clutch loose, unscrew the fasteners from the rear casting of the telescope and back off the fasteners on one of the forks and presto. Ready for a Losmandy dovetail:

http://store.losmandy.com/dm-10

Clear skies,
Bill
  • jdupton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics