•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Continuing Problems with DSS

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 jstrandberg

jstrandberg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

I have been using the download of DSS 3.3.2. in Windows 10 for about a week. Today it all of a sudden it stopped working. What is happening is that after processing and stacking my images and indicating that the process was complete, there would be no image displayed. When I click on the "save picture to file" link it even says that "there is no picture to save."  After trying with several different stacks of pictures of various numbers, I reinstalled DSS.  Now, it is not importing my raw CR2 files correctly (only about the upper 1/4th of each image is actually opening).

When I tried using a stack of TIF images, they imported correctly but I still get the same result after stacking is complete that no image is created.

I have looked on DSS's site for a different version other than 3.3.2, but there only seems to be a RAR file for 3.3.4, which Windows 10 does not seem to know how to install.

Please help.

Edited by jstrandberg, 09 December 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Gemini

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

I have been using the download of DSS 3.3.2. in Windows 10 for about a week. Today it all of a sudden it stopped working. What is happening is that after processing and stacking my images and indicating that the process was complete, there would be no image displayed. When I click on the "save picture to file" link it even says that "there is no picture to save."  After trying with several different stacks of pictures of various numbers, I reinstalled DSS.  Now, it is not importing my raw CR2 files correctly (only about the upper 1/4th of each image is actually opening).

When I tried using a stack of TIF images, they imported correctly but I still get the same result after stacking is complete that no image is created.

I have looked on DSS's site for a different version other than 3.3.2, but there only seems to be a RAR file for 3.3.4, which Windows 10 does not seem to know how to install.

Please help.

RAR is a file archive, kind of like Zip files. You need to open it. Try WinRAR.

#3 poobie

poobie

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:02 PM

7-zip is another compression utility that will open RAR files, and it's still being actively developed.  BTW, the actual latest version of DSS that I'm aware of is 3.3.6, but it's not linked anywhere on the main site.  you can get it here:

http://deepskystacke...yStacker336.rar

once you use winRAR or 7-zip to extract the files in the RAR archive to a folder, you just copy them over the ones in your existing DSS installation, likely c:\program files (x86)\Deep Sky Stacker.  

You might also try using Siril to stack your files; I've gotten tighter stacks from it than DSS anyway.

• xiando likes this

#4 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:11 PM

http://deepskystacke...yStacker336.rar and then to unrar it http://www.7-zip.org/ and then after you unrar it do the 4gb patch http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

• calypsob and xiando like this

#5 jstrandberg

jstrandberg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

http://deepskystacke...yStacker336.rar and then to unrar it http://www.7-zip.org/ and then after you unrar it do the 4gb patch http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Loaded 3.3.6 as suggested. CR2 files are now importing properly, but the final stack still does not produce any image at all.

#6 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:11 PM

Loaded 3.3.6 as suggested. CR2 files are now importing properly, but the final stack still does not produce any image at all.

Find your autosave.tif from the same folder your light frames are in and load it into DSS, then save that picture to file.

#7 jstrandberg

jstrandberg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:33 PM

Find your autosave.tif from the same folder your light frames are in and load it into DSS, then save that picture to file.

I looked in the same folder that contains my images. There are DSS .info files for each image, but there is no autosave.tif. It is as if the program just stops without completing the process.

#8 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

I looked in the same folder that contains my images. There are DSS .info files for each image, but there is no autosave.tif. It is as if the program just stops without completing the process.

Make sure you check all your settings again, and also do the 4gb patch in case it is crashing on you. Once it gets done let it load everything. After stacking it has to align channels, etc. just let it go and it will load the auto save.tif on its own.

#9 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

Wait, you did stack after registering them, right?

#10 bobharmony

bobharmony

Vostok 1

• Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

Way back when, I found that 3.3.2 wouldn't handle the CR2 files from my Canon 60D.  Going to 3.3.4 resolved the issue.  I haven't tried 3.3.6 so can't help with resolution there.

Bob

#11 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:02 AM

I had the same problems. and found no clue for a long while. Then it helped to: load all the lights, flats, darks into DSS -> save file list -> close DSS -> open DSS -> load file list -> register files -> close DSS -> open DSS -> load file list -> start stacking. This always works on my system without problems.

I now always do so since it takes only 1 minute longer than doing it all in one circle but does not lead to waiting long times without result or with an error message.

Edited by Pete_xl, 10 December 2017 - 05:03 AM.

#12 Tapio

Tapio

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:22 AM

Pet's advice sounds complicated.
Because DSS is so old I recommend trying some other software.
Some cost something but are worth it.
Sirius was mentioned, then there are Nebulosity, APP, AstroArt PI etc.
  • mikefulb likes this

#13 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:06 AM

Its just closing and opening the program/file between the steps. If that already is complicated - what is the rest of astrophotography and ap-processing then......?

Edited by Pete_xl, 10 December 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#14 jstrandberg

jstrandberg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

I had the same problems. and found no clue for a long while. Then it helped to: load all the lights, flats, darks into DSS -> save file list -> close DSS -> open DSS -> load file list -> register files -> close DSS -> open DSS -> load file list -> start stacking. This always works on my system without problems.

I now always do so since it takes only 1 minute longer than doing it all in one circle but does not lead to waiting long times without result or with an error message.

Pete, when I register files, DSS automatically proceeds to stacking once the registration process is complete. Loading the file list and then registering the files (which automatically then stacks them) produces the same results. Nothing. So I did a new save list. Reopened DSS and went straight to stacking, still nothing. What is really maddening is that 3.3.2 was working fine one day and then the next day it didn't. Even trying 3.3.4 and 3.3.6 both act this same way -- everything goes along fine it is just after the "computing final picture" dialog box goes away, no picture is displayed and no autosave.tif image is stored in the file folder.

#15 Tapio

Tapio

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

Just to make sure - there is still save tiff image in DSS settings?

#16 dciobota

dciobota

Apollo

• Loc: Omaha, Nebrrrraska

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

One thing I would suggest to check, but a question first.  Have you ever been successful in stacking the present files?  If no, then try this:

In the Stacking parameters dialog, choose "Mosaic mode" in the Result tab.  

Now, reload all your lights, recheck "register already registered images" then proceed to register and stack.  See if you get an image.

If your previous mode was "Intersection" it's possible some of your frames are far enough apart from each other to generate a zero intersection result.

If the above doesn't work, look at the "Score" column for each image after registration is complete (at the end of your registration/stacking).  If all your frames have N/C I believe, then they weren't stacked. 

Another way to verify how many of your images were stacked is to check the box marked "Create HTML description file" in the Output tabl of the stacking parameters dialog.  It will create a .html file in your folder (or one of the folders, if you stack images from multiple folders) which will tell you how many images were stacked and other info.  Very useful and it costs nothing to produce.  It is also possible that for some reason none of the images were stacked.

Hope this helps.

• calypsob, xiando and bobharmony like this

#17 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

Star detection threshold checked prior to registering/stacking? Register settings>Advanced>slide the slider (less=more stars, more=fewer stars).

I have moved to register all files first, prior to stacking to find the one w/the highest score & select that one as the reference frame.

Also, need to make sure you have selected where/what folder DSS is actually saving the 32b Autosave file in. If "save in same folder as reference image" has not been selected, then it will save it in another folder based on what's selected under Stacking Parameters>Output>Create output file in the folder of the reference frame.

If "Create Output file in" is selected, the output file will be in that folder, & not where all the main picture files / stacking data are.

#18 jstrandberg

jstrandberg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

Wait, you did stack after registering them, right?

My version of DSS proceeds automatically to the stacking process, selecting 90% of the best images. But I did try running "Stacked Checked Pictures" anyway and still get nothing. No image displayed and no autosave.tif generated.

#19 jstrandberg

jstrandberg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

One thing I would suggest to check, but a question first.  Have you ever been successful in stacking the present files?  If no, then try this:

In the Stacking parameters dialog, choose "Mosaic mode" in the Result tab.  

Now, reload all your lights, recheck "register already registered images" then proceed to register and stack.  See if you get an image.

If your previous mode was "Intersection" it's possible some of your frames are far enough apart from each other to generate a zero intersection result.

If the above doesn't work, look at the "Score" column for each image after registration is complete (at the end of your registration/stacking).  If all your frames have N/C I believe, then they weren't stacked. 

Another way to verify how many of your images were stacked is to check the box marked "Create HTML description file" in the Output tabl of the stacking parameters dialog.  It will create a .html file in your folder (or one of the folders, if you stack images from multiple folders) which will tell you how many images were stacked and other info.  Very useful and it costs nothing to produce.  It is also possible that for some reason none of the images were stacked.

Hope this helps.

I had been using the "Standard mode" before the program started malfunctioning. Tried doing a stack using "Mosaic mode" and still got no results. I am getting a .info text file for each image at the end of the stacking session, but it does not generate the html description file even though that option is checked. So, does this mean that none of the images are stacking?

#20 dciobota

dciobota

Apollo

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:13 AM

Interesting.  Do you get any popups that say "Stacking 1 out of xxx" or something similar?  If not then it's not stacking any images.

Also, when dss is finished, look at the list of images to be stacked and check the score numbers.  If they dont have numbers then probably something is wrong with star detection.

Speaking of that, you can play with the star detection threshold.  Also change it to 100%.

Another thing you could try is to just stack two frames (no flats, darks, etc,just lights) and see if you get something.

#21 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:16 AM

It seems pretty much obvious that you are doing something incorrectly/have some settings set incorrectly.  Welcome to the struggles of imagining...

How many lights are you attempting to stack? Have you just tried putting (1) in the first group, then adding others in the other groups? (All individually grouped in the same exposure times?).

As mentioned previously, have you checked your star detection threshold prior to registering/stacking? If DSS reports zero stars, you will not get an output file....

#22 jstrandberg

jstrandberg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:37 PM

Interesting.  Do you get any popups that say "Stacking 1 out of xxx" or something similar?  If not then it's not stacking any images.

Also, when dss is finished, look at the list of images to be stacked and check the score numbers.  If they dont have numbers then probably something is wrong with star detection.

Speaking of that, you can play with the star detection threshold.  Also change it to 100%.

Another thing you could try is to just stack two frames (no flats, darks, etc,just lights) and see if you get something.

I used 15 images and the star count at 40% indicated 383 stars. The score numbers for each image after the session indicate that there is nothing wrong with start detection. DSS goes through the full stacking process indicating 1 of 13, 2 of 13, etc.  DSS then compiles the image and then just ends. No compiled image is ever displayed and there is not .html file in the image folder.

#23 dciobota

dciobota

Apollo

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:59 AM

That is weird.  Last resort, uninstall dss, all versions.  Remove any dss folders you find, then restart your pc and reinstall the latest version.  If that doesn't work I'm completely stumped.

• poobie likes this

#24 Rayh

Rayh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ, USA

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

I was having trouble with DSS 3.3.4 producing either no picture or a partial picture, or one the disappeared after clicking on it.  Using the links above I downloaded DSS 3.3.6 and applied the 4 Gb patch.  DSS 3.3.6 works perfectly for me and seems to run much faster in the stacking and image rendering stages.  Thanks to poobie and ImNewHere.  I use Win10.

Ray

#25 Timothy S

Timothy S

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bakersfield, CA

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:10 AM

Haven't tried this for a while but if I remember correctly DSS would never write back to my memory card.  So I always transferred my subs to a folder on the hard drive.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics