•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Continuing Problems with DSS

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Tapio

Tapio

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

Didn't know there was a 4 gb patch for DSS.

#27 dciobota

dciobota

Viking 1

• Loc: Omaha, Nebrrrraska

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

Interesting, very interesting.  I think I am still using 3.3.4, I wonder if I should upgrade?  I haven't had any issues with mine, but still.  Although my higher reasoning center tells me "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  ;-)

#28 poobie

poobie

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:01 PM

Pretty sure 3.3.6 is a beta, but I used it for several months with no issues.  OTOH, like your brain is telling you, if it ain't broke...

• dciobota likes this

#29 poobie

poobie

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

Also, you might want to grab a copy of Siril when you get a chance.  it's a little different; the processing procedures are more manual, and it preserves intermediate files, but it also seems to make tighter stacks for me than DSS.  It uses libRaw for camera raw support, so it will work with a ridiculous variety of cameras (basically anything with a bayer sensor, sadly excluding my Fuji X-Trans bodies).  it's also under active development, meaning new bug fixes and features.  The windows port is flagged as beta, and it does crash on me occasionally, but I really enjoy using it.

• dciobota likes this

#30 dciobota

dciobota

Viking 1

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

Interesting, thanks for the info Matt.  From my brief reading, Siril seems to be a continuation of Iris (hence the backward name reference I guess)?  I had a go at Iris a long time ago, it was pretty hard to figure out.  This new version does claim is easier to use.

I have PI and still working up the nerve to use is for registration and stacking.  I see a lot of posts talking about how much better it is at giving tighter stars also (which, like everyone else, I would love to have), but also that it is a cpu and memory hog.  And disk space.  Which may bring my little pc to its knees.

I have some vacation coming up though, and since it will be mostly under a full moon, might as well dive in and try to improve my processing skills.  I am a VERY slow learner lol.

But I agree with everyone that DSS is getting past its prime.  I really wish the original writer had released it as an open project back when he quit supporting it, it has been such a boon to the astronomy community in general.  Pretty intuitive, fairly easy to use, decent results out of the box.  Much like PHD.  Perfect for first timers and perennial novices like me.

Thanks for the tip.

#31 poobie

poobie

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

Hey man, no problem.  (channeling my inner tommy chong today.)  It is _much_ easier to use than Iris, for sure.  It's not as intuitive as DSS, sadly, but it is a lot more powerful as well; more like a cut down PI.  They've got some really decent tutorials up, and now that they've got somebody porting it to windows for them, I think it's a viable choice to point new folks toward.

Hell, I like it, and I sure don't know what I'm doing.

#32 dciobota

dciobota

Viking 1

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

Lol Matt, I actually do talk a bit like Tommy Chong.

I'll give it a whirl.

#33 calypsob

calypsob

Gemini

• Loc: Roanoke, Virginia

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

http://deepskystacke...yStacker336.rar and then to unrar it http://www.7-zip.org/ and then after you unrar it do the 4gb patch http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Wow this is great.  So does DSS crash if you try to stack more than 4gb of data? 

#34 scott4comp

scott4comp

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

Forgive if already checked: where is your Output Location ?

(Stacking Parameters, Output tab, Output Location )

default is same location as reference frames, but some create own file structures....or the location has changed / gone missing...

#35 dciobota

dciobota

Viking 1

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:54 PM

Wes, I don't know the answer, but I have stacked over 600 fits from an asi1600 color cam.  I think the fits were 32mb each, so it's a lot more than 4gb.  I think dss warned me once about using over 20gb of data, but still worked.

#36 dakight

dakight

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Gilbert, Arizona, USA

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

I was referred to this thread by skygzr because I too am having trouble with DSS. Yesterday I downloaded DSS 3.3.6 and applied the 4GB patch. I then loaded up about 40 lights from a session with The Plaedes. I registered the files then attempted to stack them. I tried various score thresholds but nothing seemed to work. It went through the stacking process but refused to create an image file. It just displayed a little yellow triangle with a red ! in it. No output was generated.  I have used DSS many times before and have had it work, including with this same dataset so I'm somewhat baffled. 

Several have suggested using the best scoring light file as a "reference" but I don't see how to do that unless it is in the command line version which I have not attempted. Honestly I am about to dump DSS and look for something else, but what?

Edited by dakight, 28 December 2017 - 10:54 PM.

#37 Tapio

Tapio

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

After registration you can right click over frame and set as reference.
But better to move on to something better.
There are lots of alternatives: PI, Nebulosity, Regim, APP, Iris etc.

#38 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

Several have suggested using the best scoring light file as a "reference" but I don't see how to do that unless it is in the command line version which I have not attempted. Honestly I am about to dump DSS and look for something else, but what?

There is a column labeled "Score". By clicking on that column, it will sort the frames from best to worst, or vice-versa. Having the highest score @ the top, then right click on that frame & then select "use as refrence frame". One can also scroll down using the slider bar on the right to check the scores of all the others. Deoending on the aprx average, one can then elect to remove those with low scores, or low # of stars that may hinder getting a final image.

I also have gotten into the habbit of previewing all subs & deleting/rejecting those that are blurred, over exposed, or with other imperfections. Do believe this helps with getting a good final, workable result.

#39 dakight

dakight

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Gilbert, Arizona, USA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

Well, I haven't changed a thing, but recently DSS has been working flawlessly. I have fed it up to 160 frames and left it over night. Invariably in the morning I have an image file. It isn't always what I wanted, but that's on me. lol.gif

#40 TimN

TimN

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 01:45 PM

I was having trouble with DSS awhile ago and switched to Astro Pixel Processor. It costs money but I think its the best for pre-processing and also has some neat post processing tools. Its got a 30 day free trial.You can always try it  to see if its worth buying. It was to me.

Edited by TimN, Yesterday, 01:48 PM.

#41 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Apollo

• Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted Yesterday, 05:17 PM

http://deepskystacke...yStacker336.rar and then to unrar it http://www.7-zip.org/ and then after you unrar it do the 4gb patch http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Wow this is great.  So does DSS crash if you try to stack more than 4gb of data? 

Nope. I've fed it over 20gb before to see what would happen.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics