•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon 18x50 IS - Which Accessories to Buy?

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:53 AM

My new Canon 18x50 IS binos arrived a couple days ago.  These are my second pair of image stabilized binoculars.  I already have the Canon 10x42 IS and like them very much.  I bought long lens hood, a hard case and filters for those binos.  Now I'm looking for long lens hood and a hard case for the 18x50's.

Of course, the skies have been cloudy since the 18x50's arrived, and yesterday we had the first snow of the year.

The eyepiece caps are single units, not the silly dual eye cap that came with the 10x42's.  So I don't have to look for single caps for the eyepieces.  (I never did find ones to fit the 10x42's.)  However, the 18x50's did not come with any caps at all for the objectives.  Silliness. 

There should be dew/glare shields for the objectives.   I definitely want some kind of attachment to shield the objectives from dew and glare, and for general protection.  The threading at the objectives is 58mm.  I should look for long lens hoods with 58mm threading.  

I'm full up with DSO filters for the objectives.  When I bought the 10x42's, I purchased some extra DSO filters so I could have pairs of filters  (I didn't get UV or clear filters.  They seem useless to me if you have good caps for the objectives or long lens hoods.)

The aperture of the 10x42's was too small for the DSO filters.  Not enough light to show the DSO very well.  I don't use filters on the 10x42's any more. 

But maybe I should get a pair of step-down rings to try the DSO filters on the 18x50's?  For the sake of convenience, I'd probably attach the step down rings and filters on the end of the lens hoods. The threading on the lens hoods would be 58mm.  So I need 58-48mm step-downs. 

The padded case is not bad.  But it does not include a strap!  I have a box full of bino straps.  Maybe one of those will let me hang the case comfortably at my side.  On the other hand, the point is moot, because when I put long lens hoods on the objectives, the 18x50's will be too long to fit in the padded case.  I'll want to buy a hard case to fit them instead.

Any ideas on these accessories for the Canon 10x42 IS?

Mike

#2 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

Here is a 58mm lens hood, including a lens cap.  Sioti. $9.99  

https://www.amazon.c...uct_top?ie=UTF8

The lens cap fits on the end of the lens hood, where it ought to be.  Actually, I don't even bother with lens caps on my Canon 10x42 IS.  The lens hoods are long enough to keep dew off the lenses.  When I'm not using the binos, I keep them stored in a hard case.

From the Q&A, I get the idea that the hood is only 35mm long, about 1.4". 

I'd like the hoods to be longer.  The ones I bought for the 10x42's are 78mm (3").  Long lens hoods prevent condensation on the lenses and block ambient glare.

Another 58mm lens hood.  CEARI $7.42 

https://www.amazon.c...1512999056&sr=1

According to the product description, it's about 40mm high.  (Only 1.6".)

This one is more expensive, but is supposed to be 4.3" long. Heliopan. $39.49.  

https://www.amazon.c...lens hood&psc=1

It does have nice anti-glare threading on the interior.   

Eyeballing the pics, though, it doesn't look any longer than the other two.  I wish the product descriptions would give accurate specs.  (For some, they even give the box dimensions rather than the product dimensions!)  If buyers want a long lens hood, they just might want to know exactly how long "long" is.

Another one, even less expensive. $2.74  https://www.ebay.com...~MAAOSwHLNZUM2T

Maybe I'll buy four of the less expensive ones and stack two for each objective?

Truthfully, I'd gladly pay $40 each for a pair of 58mm lens hoods that are 3" long.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 11 December 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#3 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

Here is a 58mm rubber lens hood. B+W.  $12.95 https://www.bhphotov...ing_Rubber.html

I had originally bought two of the 52mm version for my 10x42's.   They worked well, but were shorter than what I wanted.  So I bought two 3" long metal lens hoods for the 10x42's.  I ended up attaching the rubber lens hoods onto the ends of the metal lens hoods. 

Too bad I can't find 3" long metal lens hoods in 58mm threading for the 18x50's.

Another 58mm rubber lens hood.  Altura. $7.99 https://www.amazon.c...BVTYR6P7QNSXB3F

Maybe I'll order a pair of the "long" metal lens hoods and a pair of the rubber lens hoods.  Together, they should be adequate. 

The Altura rubber lens hoods look pretty wide, though.  They might smash up against each other when fitted to the objectives.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 11 December 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#4 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

A pair of Thousand Oaks Solar Filters: http://thousandoakso...camera-filters/

grin.gif

I use the older glass filters on mine and really love it!

#5 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

Here are 58-48mm step-down rings:  $5.50 https://www.bhphotov..._Down_Ring.html

I'll order two of these.

Mike

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

grin.gif

I'll think about it.  I don't do solar astronomy ... so far.  Well, I did hook up a Quaker Oats box to my 4.25" f/10 Palomar Jr. Reflector for solar projection back in the early '70's.

:grin:

Mike

• Mad Matt likes this

#7 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

grin.gif

I'll think about it.  I don't do solar astronomy ... so far.  Well, I did hook up a Quaker Oats box to my 4.25" f/10 Palomar Jr. Reflector for solar projection back in the early '70's.

grin.gif

Mike

I don't either but the 18x50 are great for quick 5 minutes looks during a lunch break to simply see what is going on. 18x is enough to see the larger scale granularity, faculae and of course sunspots. That is enough for me wink.gif

• Stellarfire likes this

#8 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

Thousand Oaks does have solar filters to fit the Canon 18x50's and 10x42's.

Mike

#9 Kimmo Absetz

Kimmo Absetz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Mike,

I used to own the 15x50 Canon and now have the 10x42. With both, whenever I had the binocular in its case and wanted to carry it by a strap, I just left the binocular strap outside of the case. It looks to me that the cases were designed specifically so that this could be done, and it sure worked well.

Kimmo

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

Yes, you're right about the cases and straps.  I had forgotten that the cases worked this way, since I never used the case for Canon 10x42 IS.   Once I put the long metal lens hoods on the 10x42, it would no longer fit in the soft Canon case.  That will also be true for the 18x50's. 

IMO, a major defect of the Canon IS binos is the lack of lens hoods on the objectives.   Binoculars need lens hoods to prevent ambient glare from entering the objectives.  Also, at my dewy observing sites, absence of lens hoods would mean dew on the objectives within an hour or less.

As soon as I acquire lens hoods for the 18x50's, they will no longer fit in the soft Canon case.  Then I'll look for a hard case to fit the 18x50's.  The hard case will be for when I take the binos to a dark site.  When I use them around home, I'll carry them in a bigger soft case that will fit the 18x50's with their new lens hoods on.  I do the same for my 10x42's.

The original soft Canon cases for both IS binos will be stored away until some time in the future when maybe I'll sell the Canon IS.

IMO, it really is bizarre that Canon would take such pains to make nice IS binos, and fail to equip them with lens hoods.  Makes no sense at all.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 11 December 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#11 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

Last night I placed an order with Amazon for

- two Sensei 58mm Lens to 48mm Filter Step-Down Rings

- four CEARI 58MM Metal Lens Hoods

- two of 58MM Altura Collapsible Rubber Lens Hood

Mike

#12 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

Just got my pair of 15x50 IS......dust caps from 10x50 Fujis fit perfectly.

Now I just need to find another set.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1428.JPG

• Sarkikos likes this

#13 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

Mike

Mike 

PM me when you sort this out....

Bill

• Sarkikos likes this

#14 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, buying another pair of 10x50 Fuji's would be an expensive way to get dust caps for the 18x50 Canon's.  :grin:

But caps for the 18x50 Canon's are easy to find.  Just look on-line for camera lens caps that have 58mm threading.

https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=931

I didn't order any caps for mine.   I probably should have.  But with long lens hoods the objectives are pretty well protected without caps.

Mike

#15 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Mike

Mike 

PM me when you sort this out....

Bill

I'll probably use all of this gear. 

Two 1.5" metal lens hoods stacked on each objective, with a collapsible rubber lens hood at the end of each stack.  This is essentially the setup I have on my Canon 10x42 IS binos, except I was able to find metal lens hoods that are 3" long.  I've never experienced dew on the 10x42's objectives, even though I observe in very dewy areas.  Seems to shield from glare very well, too.

The two 58-48mm step-down rings are for DSO filters.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 December 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#16 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

Would this work?

https://www.bhphotov...&m=Y&sku=125291

#17 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

Yes, that should do it.   A little expensive for lens caps, though, at $12.95 each.

But I'd put lens hoods on the objectives, and attach the lens caps to the hoods.  These Canon IS binos have no built-in lens hoods.  Every other pair of binoculars I've ever owned has had lens hoods projecting from the objectives.  The Canon IS objectives are exposed to all kinds of potential problems:  dew, glare, scratches.  I have no idea why Canon designed the IS binos this way.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 December 2017 - 12:00 PM.

#18 eyespy

eyespy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: BC Canada

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:08 PM

Hi Mike,

Good to hear that you are enjoying your new IS binos.  Amongst my collection of IS binos I have the 15x50's.  There is a glass plate that protects each actual objective lens and I guess adds to the rain 'proofness' of the binos.  As soon as I had unpacked mine, I screwed a 58mm clear UV camera lens filter over each objective so they have never been exposed to the outside.  Optically, they do not affect the images.  As I do not use objective end covers I can clean the filters whenever necessary without fear of damaging the actual binoc glass and optics.  I do use a cover over the eyepieces that falls away when I observe and hangs onto the neck strap.

Other accessories I have include a pair of 58mm lens hoods to reduce stray light and dew.  I also picked up a pair of 58mm Thousand Oaks solar filters.  It is fascinating watching the sunspots etc crossing the solar image.

I am sure that you will enjoy your new binos and especially once you receive the accesories.

Good luck,

Doug.......

Edited by eyespy, 12 December 2017 - 09:19 PM.

#19 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

Yes, that should do it.   A little expensive for lens caps, though, at $12.95 each.

But I'd put lens hoods on the objectives, and attach the lens caps to the hoods.  These Canon IS binos have no built-in lens hoods.  Every other pair of binoculars I've ever owned has had lens hoods projecting from the objectives.  The Canon IS objectives are exposed to all kinds of potential problems:  dew, glare, scratches.  I have no idea why Canon designed the IS binos this way.

Mike

Actually, the lens caps fit over the OD which is 70mm... I need 70mm, not 58mm

Edited by Mr. Bill, 12 December 2017 - 05:32 PM.

#20 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

I wonder if Canon 58mm camera lens caps that fit inside rather than outside would work on the 58mm IS binos?

https://www.bhphotov...8mm.html?sts=pi

Rich

#21 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:53 PM

Looks like it might.....and it says Canon!

grin.gif

#22 eyespy

eyespy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: BC Canada

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:56 PM

Hi Rich,

Those Canon or indeed any 58mm clip on lens caps will fit the 15x50 and 18x50 IS binos perfectly as they have the same/standard 58mm threading that most cameras and telephoto lenses use.

Doug........

Edited by eyespy, 12 December 2017 - 11:58 PM.

• Rich V., Mr. Bill and Sarkikos like this

#23 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the confirmation that those caps fit, Doug.  

Rich

#24 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:10 AM

I wonder if Canon 58mm camera lens caps that fit inside rather than outside would work on the 58mm IS binos?

https://www.bhphotov...8mm.html?sts=pi

Rich

Any camera lens cap with 58mm threading will fit on the Canon 18x50.  It doesn't have to be specifically for "Canon."  

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 13 December 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#25 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:22 AM

What does everyone else think about the snub-noses on these Canon IS binos?  They only have a short brim around the objectives, not real lens hoods like virtually every other binocular sold today.  Does no one else observe under dewy conditions or ambient glare?  The first accessories I thought about buying when I received either of my Canon IS, was metal lens hoods. 

Actually, I wouldn't want to put the usual squeeze-and-release camera lens caps directly on the Canon IS bino objectives.  These binos need metal lens hoods.  If I use caps, I'll put them on the hoods.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 13 December 2017 - 07:59 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics