•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Parks Optical

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#201 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:36 AM

I never thought of having a tube custom rolled. I will have to look into this. Thanks to those who brought this up.

Can someone give an estimate of the cost of say a 12" OD 48" tube?

-drl

I bought a 12" OD tube from Hastings some years ago, 72" long, for a 10" Newt.  Seems the price was under $200 shipped back then, ~10 years or so.  They have pricing on their website and will quote shipping.

$12 bucks a foot.   rolling the ends is extra.

• tim53, Chuck Hards and Terra Nova like this

#202 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:24 AM

Not sure how one would get paint to stick inside of a long bare tube, no way to sand it by hand if it's longer than a persons arm.  I used a soft toilet bowl cleaner mop head to paint the inside of my Cave tube.  But for sanding you would have to rig up something for the long reach down the rabbit hole.

• steve t likes this

#203 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

Not sure how one would get paint to stick inside of a long bare tube, no way to sand it by hand if it's longer than a persons arm.  I used a soft toilet bowl cleaner mop head to paint the inside of my Cave tube.  But for sanding you would have to rig up something for the long reach down the rabbit hole.

That was one of the benefits I found by using cork to line the inside of the aluminium tube. I painted the cord before I installed it. 

• tim53 and Terra Nova like this

#204 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

ProtoStar flockboard! He is still in op. Shipped some just a few weeks ago. The stuff is great!

• Mr Magoo and steve t like this

#205 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

ProtoStar flockboard! He is still in op. Shipped some just a few weeks ago. The stuff is great!

Flockboard sounds like good stuff.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but to get the best of both worlds, some day I'd like to try Flockboard on top of the 1/8" cork lining in my 6" newtonian . That way there would be the insulating benefits of cork with the light trapping of Flockboard. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#206 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

That was one of the benefits I found by using cork to line the inside of the aluminium tube. I painted the cord before I installed it. 

Ya i guess that would do the trick rick.

• steve t likes this

#207 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

Yes it is, my 10" has stone jet black contrast and great insulation because of that stuff, and it's very easy to work with - you score it with a knife and break it and it makes perfect lines. You need not cut through it.

-drl

• steve t likes this

#208 WoodyEnd

WoodyEnd

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Ithilien

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

Pole sanders are used in construction. They would be easy to adapt to a round tube.

• steve t likes this

#209 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Pole sanders are used in construction. They would be easy to adapt to a round tube.

Pole sanders are the best.  

Edited by starman876, 15 January 2018 - 10:19 PM.

#210 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

But not for the inside of round tubes.  

#211 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:40 AM

read above. it says if adapted.  Would be an easy fix. Take a piece of wood shaped as the same diameter as the tube, attach it to the pole sander and sand away.   You need  to use your noggin to make these things work.

Edited by starman876, 16 January 2018 - 09:23 AM.

#212 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:33 PM

read above. it says if adapted.  Would be an easy fix. Take a piece of wood shaped as the same diameter as the tube, attach it to the pole sander and sand away.   You need  to use your noggin to make these things work.

Too much trouble to go thru. I used my head to paint the inside of the Cave you sold me and bet you would have never dreamed up the way i did it. I use my head fred.

Edited by CHASLX200, 16 January 2018 - 06:34 PM.

#213 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

Too much trouble to go thru. I used my head to paint the inside of the Cave you sold me and bet you would have never dreamed up the way i did it. I use my head fred.

you used your head?  How did you get the paint out of your hair?

• BullTerrier and AstroKerr like this

#214 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

you used your head?  How did you get the paint out of your hair?

I keep my hair short blare.  But i did post pics on my Cave build thread showing what i used to paint the inside of the tube with.

#215 jonbosley

jonbosley

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:27 AM

I thought that Lumicon took control of the remaining Parks stock, they shared the same building and the Parks phone went through to them for orders for a while. 

I was in contact with Parks just before they closed. I was looking at purchasing a 12.5 HIT but was not interested in the heavy clock mount, which looking back was probably a mistake as it’s so retro now. I would build a roll off for that bad boy. I read somewhere that the drive was so precise it could do 40 min unguided subs, if that was true Parks didn’t advertise that to me. With up to 18 month lead time on their bigger scopes I would most likely have never seen the scope or my money as their doors closed.

• tim53 and starman876 like this

#216 Rustler46

Rustler46

Apollo

• Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:53 AM

After all these years, I just now noticed that the finder is one of those ubiquitous elbow scopes that were used in military equipment. But, how the heck do you use it?!

-drl

My 1967 home-made 8-inch f/4.8 reflector still has that old war surplus M17 elbow telescope. That elbow scope had previously been used as a finder on my home-made 6-inch f/7 Newtonian. I believe these were used as gun sights for a tank cannon. And that stands to reason since they are MIL-spec - "built like a tank". Edmund used to sell these with either coated or uncoated optics. Mine was uncoated, due to the challenged finances of a teenage student.

As for how to use them, the technique was to sight along the inside right-angle edge, below the filter carousel. With some care and practice it was possible to point the telescope close enough for the intended target to be within the FOV of that 8X50 scope. This was, of course well before the go-to revolution. For 45 years (from 1963 until 2008) it had been sky atlas, finder scope, and star hopping to the intended target. Now with my Losmandy G-11 (Gemini go-to), I don't miss the low tech, manual method. At 72 years of age my old back appreciates the ease. Now it is hard enough bending over to center 3+ stars in the Telrad on my SCT scopes, for go-to alignment.

But if the battery goes dead or the electronics go up in smoke, I can still find my target the old way.

• deSitter, tim53, Mr Magoo and 3 others like this

#217 bjkaras

bjkaras

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

I have a 10” Parks newt that I bought in 1986. It gives some really good deep sky views from a dark site, which I have to do now because of the street light right in front of my house. But anyway, it’s a good scope. The GEM is a beast and I do have some issue with it, but it’s nothing I can’t work around. Anyway, when I ordered it they kept me updated on its progress and gave me a reasonable time of delivery (about 7 months). All things considered, I thought their customer service at the time was pretty good.

About 15 years ago I went to the Scope City in Costa Mesa (close to where I lived at the time) to buy a minus violet filter for my refractor. They sold me a Lumicon filter, which surprised me because I didn’t know Jack had sold Lumicon. Anyway it was simple; in and out. I chatted with the guy for a couple minutes and that was it. It’s too bad about Parks though, I would have wanted to buy some parts for the 10”, but their spare parts were pretty expensive.

Brian

• mattyfatz and Terra Nova like this

#218 Wildcat

Wildcat

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:25 PM

Where or who would give value of Parks Telescope?!?

#219 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:37 AM

Where or who would give value of Parks Telescope?!?

I can.  Just tell us what it is.

#220 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:39 PM

Funny... the website is STILL UP & RUNNING! I wanted one of those 8" astrolight pedastal newts. Should have pulled the trigger 13 years ago.

#221 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:33 AM

They sold me a Lumicon filter, which surprised me because I didn’t know Jack had sold Lumicon. 

Lumicon actually closed their doors in 2003.  The name was resurrected by entities who acquired the remaining inventory and there was quite a legal battle over the Lumicon name.  To this day I'm not sure if it's still settled.

#222 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:47 PM

I remember those days.  Been doing this on and off for 44 years now.  I know Company 7 blames the C8 for killing the RV-6.  I am not buying it, nor did the C8 kill off the Eq Newts.  The Dobs killed the Eq Newts.  Sure the C8 grabbed some of the market (especially the AP market), but it was the Dobs that did them in.  Starting in the late 70s, very early 80s, it seemed everybody and their dog wanted a Dob. 

I had to agree with Marty from my viewpoint. Had used an RV-6 in JHS and bought my own in HS in 1964. During my time in the Navy I acquired a Unitron 128. As soon as I got out of the service I bought a C8 from Celestron thru Bob Little. I never bought another Newtonian until I bought a 14.25" Dob in the 90's.

#223 bjkaras

bjkaras

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:01 PM

Lumicon actually closed their doors in 2003.  The name was resurrected by entities who acquired the remaining inventory and there was quite a legal battle over the Lumicon name.  To this day I'm not sure if it's still settled.

A few years after that I bought another Lumicon product from Parks/Scope City, a reticle eyepiece. This was a year or so before Parks closed their doors. I hope someone else eventually takes over from them. The Parks products were a little pricey, but the quality was very good. I’ve been using my 10” for 34 years and it still gives great images. The dec drive needs work, but that doesn’t keep me from using the scope. One of these days, after some personal matters get settled, I’ll deal with that. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics