•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone Have Two Scopes On One Mount?

equipment Maksutov mount observing reflector refractor SCT tripod
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Aperture Mask

Aperture Mask

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Anyone have two scopes on one mount? What are the advantages of a two scope on one mount setup? Would you be so kind as to show me/us an image of your two scope setup? Thanks to you all.

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

Two scopes (for visual) allow you to view two different type targets without having to swap out OTA's.

Examples could be Planets/Luna, Wide Field DSO's, smaller and/or fainter DSO's.  Also, using two OTA's can give a different view of the same target.

Some people prefer the views of Stars through a refractor instead of a Mirror. Others prefer the mirror.  Some (like me) enjoy both.

Various ways to mount two scopes

Piggyback (on a Forkmount)

NS11AT111.jpg

• havasman, kellyvictoria and wrnchhead like this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

Side by side configuration using a Dual Saddle set up.

Trio2.jpg

• hersey0308, havasman and kellyvictoria like this

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

Dual mount

M10SCTDuoa.jpg

M152EDEdgeHDDuoT.jpg

• hersey0308 and kellyvictoria like this

#5 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

I like to compare scope views.,With this set-up I use the 127 as a finder and then see if I can spot the target with the 80mm..,Or I can have a wide view .,,or a wider view.,:).,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150819_190738.jpg
  • 20171003_173429.jpg

• dtran1968, vtornado, cosmo823 and 2 others like this

#6 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

Two solar scopes, one white light and the other much more narrowband, can make for some fascinating observing. 

• cosmo823 likes this

#7 vtornado

vtornado

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

A little lower on the food chain ...

It is nice to have the ST80 wide field and a 6" f/8 on the same mount.

The ST80 is like a super finder.  You can use a digital angle meter to match the AZ of each scope.

This also helps with "shoot outs, between two scopes"

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3484.JPG

• zjc26138, havasman, clearwaterdave and 3 others like this

#8 cosmo823

cosmo823

Vostok 1

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

Crutches?

That's brilliant! Love seeing your set up, Dave.

#9 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

This past summer at Astronomy on the Beach at Island Lake Metropark.  I took my Sears 6339a, and mounted a Sears 6309 on it.  My plan was to show how an object looked at different magnifications.  A viewer could look thru one, and then the other.

Guide scope 2.jpg

-on old CG5 mount and homemade tripod

Did the same thing a few years ago.  6" Meade with a 90mm Meade.

6-inch Meade Refractor b.jpg

-on homemade mount and pier

Edited by Garyth64, 12 December 2017 - 05:04 PM.

• kellyvictoria likes this

#10 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

You might like this

https://www.cloudyni...-pro/?p=7857612

• kellyvictoria likes this

#11 Bonham

Bonham

Sputnik

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

thank you  so much for asking this good question!!!!  thank all of you folks who sent those wonderful pictures of your set ups! i am very fond of the pipe fitting creations!!!!   all of you have given to me some good ideas to work with this winter  on this topic.   thank you again for asking and responding.

#12 baron555

baron555

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lockport, IL

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:59 PM

I can do close-up and wide-field imaging of DSOs simultaneously.  It's great to be able to capture hours worth of images during one night.  (Just don't have autofocus on the 80mm, yet!)

gallery_145354_7061_73326.jpg

• hersey0308 and kellyvictoria like this

#13 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

My left eye was always complaining mad.gif  about being bored fingertap.gif  while my right eye was seeing the beautiful sights wink.gif   of the heavens above me so I decided to give my left eye a scope all its own waytogo.gif  :

( and there is still room next to the counterweight for another scope for a friend )

Edit:  OK, so probably not what the OP meant but still two scopes on one mount flowerred.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_4914.jpg

Edited by Kunama, 12 December 2017 - 03:21 PM.

• psandelle, FiremanDan and JamesMStephens like this

#14 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

Another take on twin scopes:

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_4587.jpg
  • MIS_4591.jpg

• psandelle, FiremanDan and JamesMStephens like this

#15 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

Two, then a different two, then three for solar observing at different wavelengths.

Originally it was a Lunt Ha scope and a Sky-Watcher Esprit 80 for white light.

Then a Lunt Calcium-K scope and a Lunt Ha.

Then a Lunt Ha, William Optics Zenithstar 61 for white light, and a Lunt CaK scope.

I've never used two for dark time observing, but I guess it would be something like my SW80 for wide field, and my C6 or C8 for zooming in.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160219-005.jpg
  • cak-012.jpg
  • tres.jpg

• Philip Levine, psandelle, Kunama and 1 other like this

#16 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

My left eye was always complaining mad.gif  about being bored fingertap.gif  while my right eye was seeing the beautiful sights wink.gif   of the heavens above me so I decided to give my left eye a scope all its own waytogo.gif  :

( and there is still room next to the counterweight for another scope for a friend )

Edit:  OK, so probably not what the OP meant but still two scopes on one mount flowerred.gif

Two Takahashi scopes as a binocular. That has to be a dream setup!!!!

• Kunama likes this

#17 DaveJ

DaveJ

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

Someone mentioned dual solar scopes: one for Hydrogen-alpha and another for white-light viewing. Here's a photo of my wife and me at the August 21 solar eclipse event. Incidentally, We had 1000 people attend which was a huge surprise for us! On the left is a double-stacked Solarmax 90 and on the right is a SkyWatcher Pro ED100 with a Baader Herschel Wedge. I (wisely) left the binoviewers at home, but they are normally both used with Baader Mark V binoviewers.
05.jpg

Edited by DaveJ, 13 December 2017 - 11:55 AM.

• zjc26138, Philip Levine, psandelle and 3 others like this

#18 Philip Levine

Philip Levine

Viking 1

• Loc: near Boston, MA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

Dual scope setup on an iOptron AZMP/with Mini-pier.  William Optics 80mm Zenithstar II with a white light Baader ASTF filter, TeleVue 70mm Pronto with a Coronado Solarmax II hydrogen-alpha filter.

Phil

Attached Thumbnails

• iOptron AZMP ProA.jpg

• NMBob likes this

#19 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:08 AM

Dual scope setups can be useful for different purposes but they can also be difficult to work with to get the best setup possible.  Alt/Az dual scope setups can be great for being able to see two different views of the same object or part of the sky without having to change the mounted scopes, eyepieces, etc.  In a more permanent setup, it can be used simply to allow the use of one scope for one purpose and another scope for a different purpose again without having to change equipment.  The difficulty comes in getting the two scopes aligned so that they are both aimed at the same point in the sky if the goal is to be able to use both scopes at the "same time".  This is easiest done with some type of separate aiming device that allows for the precise adjustment of one of the two scopes (most mounts do not have a means to do this built-in).  Below is an example of an Alt/Az configuration with two different solar scopes (H-Alpha and white-light) set up to view the eclipse this year.  Other Alt/Az configurations may use scopes on either side the mount head, but in any case, you want to have a way to aim both scopes together, be it an aiming device or shimming.

TTS-160_Dual_Solar.png

Another common dual scope mounting is the side-by-side or piggyback (i.e., over-and-under) setup on a German equatorial mount.  While sometimes used for visual, this type of setup is more often used for imaging purposes.  It can allow you to shoot images at different scales at the same time with different scopes/cameras, or different wavelengths at the same time with different filters on identical scopes.  It can also allow you to use each scope individually for different purposes (e.g., wide-field or deep-sky imaging).  The difficulty with dual-scope setups on a GEM is two fold, aiming just like the Alt/Az mounts, and balancing.  Parallel aiming can be taken care of in the same fashion as the Alt/Az mounts (i.e., aiming devices or shimming).  Balance can be a problem because you may have two completely different optical/imaging trains next to each other that have different, possibly significantly different, weights and lengths.  This complicates balancing in both axes since the weight balanced on top of the mount is far less equal and centered and is more dynamic when moving.  It may not only be necessary to significantly offset the different scopes from the center of the axis, but to even have to add additional counterweight to one side of the SBS setup. 

Piggybacked mounting can be difficult depending on the size and weight of the scopes used.  The higher the stack of scopes get, the more counterweight is needed and the greater likelihood that flexure may become a problem.  Small scopes are often used for guiding on top of larger scopes, but just like SBS setups, they may be used for the same purposes like simultaneous imaging. 

Below is an example of a small 70mm scope for wide-field imaging mounted next to a large (C14HD) scope for photometry.  Balancing this setup in all directions is a challenge but allows the setup to be used for different purposes at different times.  This is necessary in a remote observatory where access to change things is very limited and size is not sufficient to have two different mounts (not to mention the expense).. 

MDRS_GM2000HPS.png

Beyond dual-scope mounting, there are good examples of people using three, four or most scopes on the same mount for both visual observation and imaging. 

Edited by EFT, 17 December 2017 - 11:29 PM.

• Doug D., psandelle and FiremanDan like this

#20 42 degrees north

42 degrees north

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

I have three on my mount.....a Stellarvue SV70, a Stellarvue SV105T, and a Celestron Edge 8HD.  They are mounted in a Losmandy side-by-side saddle on a Paramount MX+.

9FDF4F6C-EBCA-45FC-9849-72D9B84DB582_zps

Matt

• psandelle and kellyvictoria like this

#21 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

My two OTT OTAs

get.jpg?insecure

• psandelle likes this

#22 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

Here is a triple setup.

Attached Thumbnails

• 14980295837365.jpg

• psandelle likes this

#23 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

Another setup.

Attached Thumbnails

• Img_4805.ajpg.jpg

• psandelle and NMBob like this

#24 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

Another.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4804.JPG

#25 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:04 PM

More.

Attached Thumbnails

• 06220009.jpg
  • Img_5740.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, Maksutov, mount, observing, reflector, refractor, SCT, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics