•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Bubble Nebula

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:04 PM

Here’s my latest image of the Bubble Nebula in the Hubble Palette.  This is such a cool area of the sky, and I never get tired of imaging it.  Eventually, I’d like to do some more higher resolution work of it, but this data from October with my TMB130 will have to do for now. 

As always, C&C are welcome and encouraged!  Thanks for looking!

Description:
The Bubble Nebula is an emission nebula in the constellation Cassiopeia and lies some 11000 light years away. The bubble is 10 light years in diameter and is formed by the strong stellar wind of a large hot star at the 11 o'clock position in the bubble. This wind is causing the bubble to expand at roughly 6 million miles per hour. This star is 2 million years old and will likely go supernova within 10-20 million years. Surrounding the bubble are expansive molecular clouds that are also excited by the hot central star.

Details:
Scope: TMB130SS @ f/5.6
Reducer: ATREDT30 0.8x
Camera: QSI690-wsg8
Guide Camera: Starlight Xpress Ultrastar
Mount: Mach1 GTO
SII: 25x15min
Ha: 18x15min
OIII: 24x15min
Software: SGP, PHD2, APCC, Pixinsight
16.8 hrs total exposure

get.jpg?insecure

• jaddbd, TimN, psandelle and 12 others like this

#2 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

Bubble Nebula in the Hubble pallet, is a name that makes absolutely no sense and is completely unknown to me. Please use standard nomenclature.

Edited by HarryRik9, 12 December 2017 - 07:09 PM.

#3 psandelle

psandelle

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

Bubble Nebula in the Hubble pallet, is a name that makes absolutely no sense and is completely unknown to me. Please use standard nomenclature.

The Bubble Nebula: an emission nebula located in the northern constellation Cassiopeia. The nebula lies at a distance of 7,100 to 11,000 light years from Earth. It is also known as Caldwell 11 or Sharpless 162. Its designation in the New General Catalogue is NGC 7635. It was nicknamed the Bubble Nebula because of its shape, which was created by a strong stellar wind from a young, massive, hot Wolf-Rayet star that shed its material to form the nebula. The star has the designations SAO 20575 and BD+60 2522.

Hubble pallet: the bed, or mattress of straw, that Edwin Powell Hubble (November 20, 1889 – September 28, 1953), an American astronomer, slept on.

Nice image!

Paul

Edited by psandelle, 12 December 2017 - 07:38 PM.

• jaddbd, AstroGabe and wrnchhead like this

#4 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Vanguard

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:45 PM

Gabe,

Great looking capture, and with NB it really helped the definition. The Bubble is not easily imaged for the impatient. Really love the blue bubble ... grin.gif

#5 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:47 AM

Great capture. The Bubble has always looked so surreal to me.

#6 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

Thanks guys for the nice comments.  

The Hubble Palette is a specific assignment of narrowband filters to RGB.  In this case R, G, B = SII, Ha, OIII.  I believe it is standard to refer to this assignment as simply the "Hubble Palette".  Here's a link for more info on it and other assignments:

http://www.almadenob...or_Imagery.html

Hubble pallet: the bed, or mattress of straw, that Edwin Powell Hubble (November 20, 1889 – September 28, 1953), an American astronomer, slept on.

lol.gif

Gabe

• FiremanDan likes this

#7 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

Very nice image, well done!!! :waytogo:

#8 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Soyuz

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

NGC7635. 

Much easier to just say "Bubble Nebula" 

https://www.nasa.gov...eature_864.html

Here is a link to a NASA image of it, that also uses the term. I do not see a problem with this. 

• psandelle and FiremanDan like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics