•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can BackyardNikon be used as standalone?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pinzmann

pinzmann

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Yucca valley, ca

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

I thinking about getting BackyardNikon to control my D5300 but am not interested right now to do autoguiding. Just want to get used to using it before I get involved with autoguiding. 

Also if possible what cable would I need to connect to computer? 

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Gemini

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

BackyardNikon doesn't support autoguiding, so yes, you can. You need a USB cable that hooks to your camera. I don't know which type of USB connector your camera has, you would need to check the manual.

• Pitter likes this

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

Request the trial version first so you can play around with it.

• guyroch likes this

#4 droe

droe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

I have used BackyardNikon many times without guiding, it works well.

• guyroch and poobie like this

#5 Zachricornus

Zachricornus

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:56 PM

Select the Make & Model from the drop down menu.

https://www.tethertools.com/

• poobie likes this

#6 BHPR

BHPR

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

I have used this program which works on Mac and Windows and is free. Might be worth a look see :)

https://dslrdashboard.info/

#7 pinzmann

pinzmann

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies 

#8 GoFish

GoFish

Viking 1

• Loc: Kentucky/Colorado

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

You don’t need a special, expensive USB cable for the D5300. I use a generic cable without any problems. 

BYN is a fantastic program. One of the best things I use. HIGHLY recommended. 

• guyroch and 17.5Dob like this

#9 Kendahl

Kendahl

Apollo

• Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:43 AM

Backyard Nikon works well with a D5300 independently of guiding. It's an excellent program worth far more than its modest price. When you do decide to guide, run PHD2 which works together with Backyard Nikon. Note that you could get by with the control software that came with your camera or a stand alone intervalometer.

#10 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

Just be carefull when choosing the usb cable.It has to be specific for the D5300 usb connection, not any usb. I had this problem, when i bought a longer usb cable, i didnt took care and bought a usb/micro usb cable, and then...it didnt work, because the micro usb is different than the usb connection on the camera. It is, if im not mistaked, a UC-E6 , or something similar, the shape is a little different.

I use one from Tether Tools and it is very good. BackyardNikon will do everything for you after making the choices for exposure that you want, very cool. And as the guys said, when you start guiding, BYN is also very nice to use together with the guiding programme, specially if it is the PHD software. smile.gif

• WALee likes this

#11 WillCarney

WillCarney

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, ILL

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

BackYardNikon does not guide at all.  It just controls the Nikon camera not the mount for guiding.  It does really well for controlling the Nikon.  You can live focus and many things.  Guiding can not be done with any Nikon camera.  You need a guiding camera that has a ST-4 jack for guiding.  That jack plugs into the mount from the camera as well as another usb cable to connect to the computer.  I use an Orion guider or a G3 camera as a back up if needed.  Both guider cameras I use PHD2 to control them and the mount.  So if you guide and control the Nikon you are running two programs at the same time.  BYN and PHD2.  I often also use Cartes for GOTO on my Atlas as well.

#12 Bretw01

Bretw01

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: IL USA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

I use the cable that came with the camera, the one for uploading images to the computer. Just purchase a USB extension cable for the extra length needed.

#13 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Soyuz

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

I bought BYN to control my camera when it was coupled to my telescope on it's huge mount. But after getting used to the frame/ focus feature, and seeing my images on my lap to vs  the little BOC LCD, I now also use it to focus my smaller camera lens' using my little iOptron SkyTracker.

This is hands down, the best software you can buy if you're shooting a supported Nikon camera !

• guyroch and GoFish like this

#14 Timothy S

Timothy S

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bakersfield, CA

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

If you want stand alone without guiding you can also use a Vello Remote Timer to program multiple exposures.  Also good to have as back-up for laptop / BYN. 

#15 pinzmann

pinzmann

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:40 PM

I've been using a Vello remote which has worked well. Lately I've been intrigued by the idea of using BYN with a computer which is something I've never tried. Also with the weather getting colder, the idea of controlling exposure, etc from a small shelter I have next to my scope mount seems like a good idea. I went ahead and ordered the 15' USB cable from tether tools so that should reach into my shelter.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics