•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

...just what have i done..?!?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:41 AM

Ok...this seems ridiculous - my first thread/post about becoming a "vintage Japanese refractor addict" seems to have become self-fulfilling...I'd say I need some serious help except I know that at 68 I'm way past that..! rofl2.gif

I expect the Eikow/Zemex 60mm scope & mount kit & caboodle to arrive in the next  few days...& a couple of days before Xmas Rafe will come home with the Royal Astro 4" f10 reflector on its pier mount setup...and, wait for it, the Dai-Ichi Kokagu 80mm achro should be picked up in Brisbane tomorrow for its journey to Adelaide..!

Add that to the little Sears 6333 I received from Milt in Florida a week or so ago & this all starts to seem absurdly ridiculous..! rolleyes.gif wron.gif

There I was happily conducting hi-res Neptune & Uranus etc, etc imaging with the C14 about 3 weeks ago - & now this...

Not long back "Nersky" (Nathan) posted here on CN asking about the Dai-Ichi Kogaku he inherited from his late uncle, interested in its background & resale price...

After receiving Milt's Sears & buying the Eikow in Perth I saw an ad in an online trader advertising Nathans D-I Kogaku...after some further enquiries & negotiations we did the deal today...the only confession I have to make is that when roscoe suggested in a post that Nathan might clean the objective I replied advising him to leave it well alone - sorry roscoe, there was definitely vested self-interest motivating that post of mine then..! rofl2.gif I was unaware of Nathan's CN post until after I started negotiating with him, & I understand his reasons for selling btw - at $120Aus ($90US) - reasonable from both perspectives imo. waytogo.gif

The most drawn-out affair has been the Royal Astro 4" f10 - I blame Milt for that if I've made a blooper purchasing it - with his comment to me in a recent email: <"If it were me, I would buy it in a heartbeat, sight unseen.  :-) ">

It was the "sight unseen" (500 miles away) that was the major impediment for me but the seller was very obliging & Rafe (my eldest son) inspected it the other night & used his phone & flashlight to take a whole lot of piks of the primary & secondary specifically...

I'm reasonably satisfied that any scratching is only surface coating &/or tolerable for something old...resurfacing in Oz is much more difficult & expensive because there is only 1 coater in NSW who does this in the whole of Oz..!

<.............................................................................................................................> "break in writing for a couple of hours to renegotiate Royal Astro terms & check re-coating prices with Wayne!!! lol.gif

Actually just spoke to Wayne from Saintech in NSW & he'll do an enhanced aluminium plus overcoat for $150Aus including stripping old coating...

This is relevant in that one of the piks suggested someone - the seller denies any involvement, picking it up at an auction house some months ago - looks like they might have tried to use some sort of polish on the primary surface.....the bottle of "Silvo" on the bench next to where Rafe photographed it last night just being "circumstantial" evidence..! lol.gif

The white depositions around/adjacent the mirror clips at least seems to indicate that the mirror has been rotated by a 1/4" or so not too long ago adds to that suspicion...as do the few little scratch-marks that Rafe also thought might be from ill-considered (if somewhat careful) polishing attempts! wink.gif

However, the seller denies any involvement & I believe him on this score - he is an antique clock collector & restorer & knows well the damage that interfering in such delicate things causes...

So we have agreed on $100Aus ($75US) for the scope & mount...& I think I am happy ...I include some close-ups of the primary with the salient aspects & if anyone comments negatively, please be gentle in your prognostications! lol.gif

I believe with a strip-back & recoat at worst, I am still on a winner - hopefully..! fingerscrossed.gif

But I hope that I might be able to get away without doing that for the near-future anyway after a good wash, something I am well-experienced in...

Incidentally, am I imagining "Mizar" or something similar etched onto the little finder ep end, which has a helical focus mechanism..? 

The Dai-Ichi Kogaku should be picked up in Brisbane on Friday: I include a pikky that Nathan posted in his thread plus an  image from a Japanese catalogue of yore of this very scope, the Model #8803.

I'll post a few of the piks of the primary for comments as well as the D_I Kogaku & a catalogue pikky I found here also.....I intend to restore each scope as best I can (Milt's is fine, I'm restoring a little similar-era Tasco EQ mount for that however) & perhaps down the track be able to show them off (hopefully) in all their refurbished glory!

But as importantly it will be nice to carry them outside or take them in the caravan on our regular imaging trips to set them up for some more relaxed AA activities!

ps: expect some folks with specific expertise in some of the scopes & issues I might encounter to be solicited for advice also down the track..! wink.gif

RoyalAstroMirror-1.jpg

RoyalAstroMirror-2.jpg

RoyalAstroMirror-3.jpg

RoyalAstroMirror-4.jpg

RoyalAstroMirror-5.jpg

RoyalAstroMirror-6.jpg

• jcruse64 likes this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:48 AM

...the rest of the mirror piks of the Royal Astro's primary plus the "Mizar" ??? on the finder ep as well as a pikky seen before on Nathan's thread of the Dai-Ichi Kogaku - also a Japanese catalogue pikky of said model...

RoyalAstroMirror-7.jpg

RoyalAstroMirror-8.jpg

RoyalAstro-Finder.jpg

Dai-Ichi KogakuAchromat80mm.jpg

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Model8803-WEB.jpg

• terrapin, deepwoods1, rcwolpert and 2 others like this

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:06 AM

Does this mean the 18" and C14 are in a state of utter perfection and will never need a moments more attention? Slippery slope man!

:)

#4 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:18 AM

These are wonderful finds. You are going to be happy with them. Here's what I do not know:

Obviously, one does not polish a first-surface mirror with any kind of polishing creme meant for ordinary mirrors, yet this appears to have been done, so you would want to know how much damage, if any, the mirror sustained. Was the smoothness of its surface harmed? Smoothness allows sharp images at high powers. It is possible to damage glass this way without knowing it, because it will work about the same as before at low powers, and, as a new owner, you might never know how much higher power it used to accept before. Would the mirror benefit from an expert's polish before it were recoated, or would the recoating fix any damage that may have occurred? I do not know the answer, but someone here will.

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:44 AM

...too old to worry about that Nick, those big fellas have no worries, we're taking a well-earned sabbatical from imaging for a month or 2 btw... wink.gif

Joe, it isn't certain but it looks suspicious...I will not only examine it very thoroughly under high magnification after I give it a proper wash in the traditional manner, but also carefully check its performance on real targets: I agonised a lot over the possibility that the scratches penetrated below the coatings before I decided to take it & of course spoke at length to the seller, renegotiating the price down from $150Aus to $100Aus. (& there are only a few scratches I'm particularly worried about, the first image in Post #2 is a close-up of the 2 most outstanding - & the other 2 real concerns are at about 11:00 o'clock & just past 3:00 on the primary's peripheries)

Speaking to Wayne who has a lot of experience in these matters, he thought they were more likely coating-deep at most...but of course he cannot be sure from these: if I do decide to recoat it, I'll get him to strip it & give me an on the bench examination before any re-coating is applied btw...I'll cross any bridges I have to when I have to on that issue, but the $100Aus ($75US) reflects these "problems" in the renegotiated price Rafe paid for it in Melbourne tonight...telling me it is a birthday present from the other week - so I'm not out of pocket at all actually!!! grin.gif

Worth a punt I thought... wink.gif

#6 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:47 AM

Oh my!  I do hope you have a mask and snorkel on, because you've dived right in to this pool!!!!

That mirror, by the way, doesn't look awfully awful...I'd set it up and run it before sending it off to the coaters!  Mirrors always look horrid when brightly lighted and close-up photo-ed.    As the polishing didn't go through the coating and into the glass, likely there is no permanent damage to it.  It'd be worth taking the time to star-test it, because if it's a not-so-special mirror, you can get it refigured as well as recoated, and have a really good one when you are done.  Even scratched up, it'll star-test OK.

That tan eyepiece is a Swift, likely quite a good one......but now you're really doomed, because you're gonna have to get an entire Swift 831 to go with it!  (those early Swifts were Takahashi-made, and are highly regarded here on the forum.)

• happylimpet likes this

#7 PeriodicTrends

PeriodicTrends

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valparaiso, IN

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

I agree on the mirror, looks good. I cleaned mine up with a rinse and a very thick coating of dawn agitated using light finger pressure. I also found a circle of wedged foam under the mirror that resulted in me having a heck of a time getting things lined up, even after adding push pull screws. I eventually removed it and just placed in three pieces of felt. I could try to tell you how great the views were, but you'll see for yourself ;-) It will be awesome!

#8 PeriodicTrends

PeriodicTrends

Vostok 1

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

A pic from when it was on the operating table.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5308.JPG

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

Oh my!  I do hope you have a mask and snorkel on, because you've dived right in to this pool!!!!

That mirror, by the way, doesn't look awfully awful...I'd set it up and run it before sending it off to the coaters!  Mirrors always look horrid when brightly lighted and close-up photo-ed.    As the polishing didn't go through the coating and into the glass, likely there is no permanent damage to it.  It'd be worth taking the time to star-test it, because if it's a not-so-special mirror, you can get it refigured as well as recoated, and have a really good one when you are done.  Even scratched up, it'll star-test OK.

That tan eyepiece is a Swift, likely quite a good one......but now you're really doomed, because you're gonna have to get an entire Swift 831 to go with it!  (those early Swifts were Takahashi-made, and are highly regarded here on the forum.)

Ha-ha roscoe - that's what I'm renown for, diving in at the deep end all my life...always "sink or swim"..! lol.gif

Really, I did feel a little uncomfortable jumping in & telling Nathan not to clean his D-I Koguka's objective lens at the time after you suggested he do so - my thoughts were along the lines of "don't you dare clean it Nathan - it's mine!" lol.gif

I agree on the mirror, looks good. I cleaned mine up with a rinse and a very thick coating of dawn agitated using light finger pressure. I also found a circle of wedged foam under the mirror that resulted in me having a heck of a time getting things lined up, even after adding push pull screws. I eventually removed it and just placed in three pieces of felt. I could try to tell you how great the views were, but you'll see for yourself ;-) It will be awesome!

Thanks Chris - I presume you have a RAO both by your comments & the primary mirror cell piks...any possibility that you can elaborate further on the "push-pull" modifications & any piks..?

I won't have that scope in my hands till about the 23rd/24th December so it is all theorising & conjecture on my behalf until then tbh... wink.gif

But I am fairly confident I will work things out with it to my satisfaction one way or another...& on the matter of suddenly having 3 scopes to work on (plus the EQ mount for the Sears) I think it might be a good thing in that I have a lot of "to do's" ahead of me to keep me busy - of course, if I do see another interesting scope for sale, who knows rofl2.gif - it certainly seems to be making a nonsense of my claim that the variety of these vintage Japanese scopes was very limited in Oz..!!!

#10 PeriodicTrends

PeriodicTrends

Vostok 1

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

I'm not sure I do have an RAO...mine was a no name. I have my suspicions, but I hunted everywhere for a label or remnants of a label. Nada. It has a round base focuser like the 11TE from Tasco though, so that is what I am going with. The push screws are there in the picture as the little brass shiny ones next to the pull holes for the pull screws. I just found some laying around that fit ok, it had none when I picked it up. Yours looks to have them already. My diagonal was also really loose too but I got that sorted amongst other things. Now it is a beaut!

Edited by PeriodicTrends, 13 December 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#11 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

Thanks Chris - I'll know more when it's in my hot little hands..! smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics