•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron Maks

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Darkskyaz

Darkskyaz

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Maks from Ioptron, in particular the 150mm Mak?  

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:07 PM

https://telescoperev...escope-review/ 

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:30 AM

Yes plenty of people do. In a nutshell, they consistently have very good optics, very well built/solidly built, Rumak design for best correction. Comes with a 2" visual back, dual speed focuser, nice aluminum dew shield and a not so nice 50mm finderscope. The finderscope bracket is also slightly odd in that it has a wider than usual base, so you can't use it on other scopes. But you can use other finders with this scope. Not really a problem until your observing buddies telrad battery dies and he asks to borrow your finderscope long enough to do his goto alignment. In terms of technical stuff, it has a respectable 145mm operating aperture, and it operates at F14 with a 2" diagonal. So it generally maxes out at about 1.25 deg FOV. Not bad for a Mak. Little to no image shift due to using a spring loaded thingy in the focus mechanism. No idea how that works but it works as advertised.

In general people praise the optical quality and Rumak design and dew shield, and people complain about the finderscope and the heavier weight than other 6" Maks. Personally I think it is a slight cut above the 6" Chinese Gregorian Maks, as long as you don't mind carrying a couple extra pounds and focusing the finderscope by partially unscrewing the front objective lens. Or just upgrade the finderscope. The Gregorians arguably win in terms of value, and tend to be a bit better accessorized. They may include a 2" diagonal for example. Already having paid for and accessorized mine, I wouldn't trade it for one of the Gregorians. But if I was starting all over, that Meade with the blue accents would be pretty on my SXW mount. You know, when it isn't dark out. 

Scott

• RAKing likes this

#4 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:35 AM

Chinese Gregorian Maks

Sorry but I'll pull you up on that one. They're "Gregory Maksutovs" with a secondary consisting of an aluminised spot on the corrector, as distinct from a Rumak (secondary mirror is separate from the corrector).

There are also Gregorian maks - which are rare but do exist mainly as spotting scopes for birders - a gregorian has a corrector that is CONVEX to the sky and produces an upright image.

Edited by luxo II, 15 December 2017 - 05:36 AM.

#5 Ed D

Ed D

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:41 AM

I have owned my iOptron 150mm Mak for several years and use it a lot for observing and imaging planets.  Scott pretty much summed it up very well.

I don't use the factory finder scope, opting instead for either a red dot finder or a green laser pointer.  I live inside horrendous light pollution and this is what works for me.  As for batteries dying, I learned long ago to have a spare in my kit.  smile.gif

The focuser is really nice, and the two speed fine focuser knob allows me to dial in the sharpest focus possible.  To me it is well worth the cost.  The 2" visual back is nice to have, allowing use of lower magnification 2" eyepieces for wider fields of view.

The optical quality is superb.  Bosma, the makers of the iOptron Mak, used to advertise that they hand finished their primary mirrors in a controlled temperature environment.  I get nice flat fields with pinpoint stars from edge to edge.  Visually, I have used it up to 360x on Mars and was able to see very good detail.  It can go higher, but 360x seems to be the sweet spot for me.  I also use a binoviewer for planets and the moon with mine.  Image quality is a close second to my premium, high end ($$$$) APO refractor.

Scott did point out that it is a very well built scope and is very robust.  Cooldown does take a bit of time, even in South Florida.  Cooling can be helped along, one member using a reusable medical ice pack.  All scopes need cooldown time.

I don't use the factory aluminum dew shield.  The owner of Astro-Zap made me one for my Mak.  It is much longer than the factory one to keep out the neighboring lights.  It's also half the weight.  I also fully flocked my Mak, both the tube and baffle tube.  But, before my neighbors went crazy with floodlights and tens of thousands of more people moved into the area, I really didn't need it.  BTW, all my scopes are heavily modded to deal with the light pollution in my area.

I mount mine on a Celestron CG-4 GEM with a motor drive.  It works well visually and for imaging.  The CG-4 is about the lightest GEM I can recommend for this scope.

Ed D

• mdowns likes this

#6 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:53 AM

It looks nice but... 22lbs (10Kg) shocked.gif ?!?

To the people who have this scope: is the secondary glued or screwed onto the meniscus? Can it be adjusted?

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

I had an Astronomics AT6M (150mm F12) Mak made by Bosma which was fantastic. 

• RAKing likes this

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

Chinese Gregorian Maks

Sorry but I'll pull you up on that one. They're "Gregory Maksutovs" with a secondary consisting of an aluminised spot on the corrector, as distinct from a Rumak (secondary mirror is separate from the corrector).

There are also Gregorian maks - which are rare but do exist mainly as spotting scopes for birders - a gregorian has a corrector that is CONVEX to the sky and produces an upright image.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying

Scott

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:00 AM

To the people who have this scope: is the secondary glued or screwed onto the meniscus? Can it be adjusted?

22lb? Is that the shipping weight? I have a 24lb scope that is considerably heavier. Tube advertised as 13.5lb. Maybe finderscope is a pound, dew shield will add a little. Diagonal might be another pound. If you put a Terminagler in it I could see hitting 20+ lbs I guess. 

I believe the secondary is glued. It cannot be collimated. Which I prefer.

Scott

• 1074j likes this

#10 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

22lb? Is that the shipping weight? I have a 24lb scope that is considerably heavier. Tube advertised as 13.5lb. Maybe finderscope is a pound, dew shield will add a little. Diagonal might be another pound. If you put a Terminagler in it I could see hitting 20+ lbs I guess. 

I believe the secondary is glued. It cannot be collimated. Which I prefer.

Scott

You're right. I mistook the 'as shipped' weight with the weight of the OTA. 

#11 Darkskyaz

Darkskyaz

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:31 AM

Thank you all for the insights. I currently have the 127mm Orion Mak on a Star-Seeker IV mount. Fantastic Optics, OK mount. Actually its a very good mount with the 127mm Orion Mak. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Ioptron Urban 150 package, which includes the 150mm Mak on their Alt Az Pro mount. I big part of my motivation is the Alt Az Pro mount, which I think would be a much better fit with my ES 6" Mak Newt "Comet Hunter" than the Star Seeker IV is. 

Edited by Darkskyaz, 16 December 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#12 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

I think the Alt Az Pro would be great for your comet hunter. But why get the 6" Mak with it when you have the 6" Mak Newt? Is iOptron giving away the Mak with purchase of the mount?

Scott

#13 Darkskyaz

Darkskyaz

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

I think the Alt Az Pro would be great for your comet hunter. But why get the 6" Mak with it when you have the 6" Mak Newt? Is iOptron giving away the Mak with purchase of the mount?

Scott

That's a reasonable question. iOptron is not giving away the Mak, but it is $250 cheaper when you purchase it with the mount, compared to buying it separately. Although both the iOptron Mak and Comet Hunter are both 6" telescopes, the iOptron Mak is F-12, and the Comet Hunter is F-4.8. That makes them completely different telescopes. One excels on the Moon and Planets, the other is second to none for rich field observing, putting other objects in the sky in context. I enjoy both. I don't enjoy collimating the Mak Newt, but I put up with it for the fantastic wide field views. Most Maks seem to have really good optics. Sure the Comet Hunter optics are good enough to barlow up the power, but the Mak Cass is really more convenient when your not doing wide field observing. 

Edited by Darkskyaz, 16 December 2017 - 05:59 PM.

• RAKing likes this

#14 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

That sounds like a very reasonable reason to try the Mak-Cas, IMHO.  cool.gif 

I loved my Mak-Newts, but the ergonomics were not as good for me as the Mak-Cas.  The Mak-Newt is a bit longer, a little heavier, and I had to stand up more often during a viewing session.  While I loved the views, I eventually let the Mak-Newt go and stayed with the MCT. 

YMMV - Trying both will give you a good opportunity to see for yourself if one design works better than the other.

Cheers,

Ron

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics