•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Dai-Ichi 80mm f15 has landed - Help required..!

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#51 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

Thanks shredder...simply, Lunar imaging isn't my forte, nor is the pre-requisite processing of it! wink.gif

I've probably only ever taken a dozen & a half Lunar images over the last dozen years...& the "full disk" through the sub-scope was processed in planetary mode because I ran out of memory using Lunar/Solar mode...reminds me a bit of my own memory! lol.gif

But I appreciate your compliments! smile.gif

We also ob.d a few star clusters & even imaged M42 before the Moon rose on the 2nd night with a reasonably black sky - that's something else I have to work out how to process most effectively from the type of data gathered! lol.gif

Another nice little view was that of Uranus...a tiny, very pale blue, sharp disk in a black fov, very satisfying! smile.gif

I want to use the barlow next session...too tired after we got home yesterday to set it up even though it was supposed to be a decent night...very tired & I think age is showing a bit wink.gif but the temperatures in the low 40°'s C range isn't filling us with energy - seems another aspect of ageing is being not so enamoured with the heat! frown.gif

Being honest I'm still torn a bit between aspects of these scopes as completely original entities or making some modifications that would clearly improve their performance...I think the first element of that dilemma is to make sure I restore/refurbish each scope so that it is as original as possible, but with this particular scope either make the sort of modification to the focuser I suggested a bit earlier, or else fabricate a "swap-over" focuser that I'd try to have look as if it is retaining some of the aesthetic uniformity of the instrument's overall character whilst improving the performance...

That way I could revert it to full originality at anytime should I wish...

The mount is part of this situation - I think the original with its 4 separate c/weights, wooden tripod legs, etc is a real beauty...but "heck!" when it rides on the EQ6 I can just about lean on the scope & get no shakes or deviations...employ "go to" even if I wanted to. (never use it normally lol.gif )

That's sort of saying that in practical use it's a no-brainer what mount to use tbh...even though set up in my studio to say to anyone "come & have a look at this" or just for personal eye-candy, the totally-original appearance cannot be surpassed!

As I said, I could convert the focuser to have 3 Teflon guide tracks at 120° intervals & all you would see would be a few more little grubscrews flush with the crinkle-black focuser finish...but one element of the design that surprised me, & perhaps Bob touched upon about "Seems to me that D-K aimed to keep the cost down, but chose some of the better elements around at that time" is the lack of a collimatible objective cell - all the other aspects of its quality would suggest to me that this would've been an essential - but clearly it wasn't!

Now for just about all intents & purposes I could counter that with a collimatible focuser assembly...& zero image shift & being able to collimate would just about put the "S" into "schmik!" lol.gif

Excuse the ramblings, probably something most classic scope owners etc aren't worried by in the least & I fully-understand that...but it does me...& these ramblings help me articulate/clarify my own thoughts...hopefully it at least interests a few other folks!

At present if I followed this path I envisage the preceding would necessitate a coupling ring at the end of the ota to secure the focuser to - instead of the direct(fixed) mounting of it to the tube proper...with another 3 grubscrews to provide tilt/collimation adjustments to the original (improved) focuser - probably the best option...

At any rate, besides being an inveterate tinkerer I'm also a happy vintage Japanese scope addict now...although in the long run I see the Dai Ichi Kogaku & the Royal Astro 4" f10 Newt being my real "keepers" amongst this lot, with the RA being as absolutely kosher as I can make it... smile.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 05 January 2018 - 09:34 PM.

• shredder1656 likes this

#52 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:03 PM

Ok - I realise I'm in for eternal damnation & my application for "Vintage Japanese Refractors" membership will be torn up immediately...not to mention that Bob will cross me off the Registry I only just got on..! lol.gif

My only mitigating circumstance is that I have termed this my "alternative/swap-over" focuser & I can revert to the kosher, 100% original within about 5 minutes at most, anytime someone from the US Embassy is sent out to do a spot check - I'll get Pattie to stall them at the front door while I make the switch! twitch.gif

All I need to do now is make a "finishing ring" for the scope when it is in this mode, thicker than the flange of the original focuser to be flush with this Crayford reflector focuser's original mounting flange, crinkle black it & make stainless plugs in the edge facing the focuser flange so that the collimating grubscrews push against something harder than the ally I'll make the finishing ring from...neat little rubber plugs will hide the original mounting holes visible on this focuser's flange & it'll be held the same way as the original...tap this finishing ring for 2 setscrews to hold the finder-scope as well...

Almost looks like it could've been made this way - I'm so sorry bawling.gif  but along with using it on a modern mount for anything but show/storage I cannot see the sense of the original when I've eliminated image shift, given it extra-fine focusing capabilities and collimating function... smile.gif

All for nothing btw...except those little rubber plugs if I've run out of them lol.gif - this Crayford was a spare from switching over to another Moonlite in my 18" Newt...a reflector unit but readily converted to a refractor...no money spent! smile.gif

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Focuser-Swap-Over.jpg

Edited by Kokatha man, 06 January 2018 - 11:05 PM.

• Bomber Bob, AndresEsteban, walter a and 1 other like this

#53 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

Not like. What's wrong with the original?

-drl

#54 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

-drl

lol.gif I guess that's what makes folks different mate!

Nothing "wrong" either way imo, but I think I explained my reasons for doing this quite clearly wink.gif...& also why I've made it so that it can be reverted to its original appearance very quickly, within minutes actually...

I really like these old f15 scopes, & 80mm gives appreciably more "grunt" than 60mm tbh: I mentioned elsewhere that when I purchased Uncle Milt's Sears 6333 part of the attraction for me was the little finder he'd constructed from different parts...focusing cross-hairs & 27.5mm Kellner bino ep, Kodak lens rings, prism etc - a real little work of art imo!

I've even refined my alterations so that I won't drill a single extra hole or mar the ota in any way whatsoever...& anyone who knows about machining will appreciate this approach requires a bit more thought & work...it should be finished tomorrow sometime. smile.gif

I figure at almost 70 I can indulge my own desires whilst still appreciating many aspects of "vintage Japanese refractor" quality...but with a preference for modern mounts when using them as well, I guess when the committee meets to determine my membership (mentioned in my last post! grin.gif ) I won't be getting your vote..! rofl2.gif

• memento likes this

#55 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:02 AM

-drl

lol.gif I guess that's what makes folks different mate!

Nothing "wrong" either way imo, but I think I explained my reasons for doing this quite clearly wink.gif...& also why I've made it so that it can be reverted to its original appearance very quickly, within minutes actually...

I really like these old f15 scopes, & 80mm gives appreciably more "grunt" than 60mm tbh: I mentioned elsewhere that when I purchased Uncle Milt's Sears 6333 part of the attraction for me was the little finder he'd constructed from different parts...focusing cross-hairs & 27.5mm Kellner bino ep, Kodak lens rings, prism etc - a real little work of art imo!

I've even refined my alterations so that I won't drill a single extra hole or mar the ota in any way whatsoever...& anyone who knows about machining will appreciate this approach requires a bit more thought & work...it should be finished tomorrow sometime. smile.gif

I figure at almost 70 I can indulge my own desires whilst still appreciating many aspects of "vintage Japanese refractor" quality...but with a preference for modern mounts when using them as well, I guess when the committee meets to determine my membership (mentioned in my last post! grin.gif ) I won't be getting your vote..! rofl2.gif

I don't know what to say - the idea of removing the focuser of any of my 5 classics and replacing it by a cheap Chinese impostor is unthinkable. I did do that surgery on a scope that is already cheap and Chinese - actually quite good optically, and the focuser that got replaced was plastic.

-drl

#56 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:58 AM

I don't know what to say - ...

-drl

...nothing is probably best drl: I'm long past altering my opinions for anyone else's, with all due respect! :lol:

#57 galakuma

galakuma

Mariner 2

• Loc: Japan

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

810A.jpg

This telescope is made in Towa. Towa goes bankrupt, and Daiichi who took stock back takes charge of and is selling it.

Edited by galakuma, 10 January 2018 - 10:00 AM.

• deSitter, Kokatha man, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#58 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

こんにちは!galakuma

-drl

Edited by deSitter, 10 January 2018 - 01:00 PM.

• galakuma likes this

#59 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

Thank you for your expert input Galakuma! bow.gif

You say:  <"Towa goes bankrupt, and Daiichi who took stock back takes charge of and is selling it">  Does this mean Dai Ichi supplied the telescope parts to Towa in the first place..? confused1.gif

If I interpret correctly, this means the Towa 810A becomes the Dai Ichi Kogaku 8803..?

Your picture of Towa 810A is identical to my Dai Ichi Kogaku 8803 scope in all aspects! :)

Also, the Towa 810A is virtually the same or identical to the Towa 339 which Bob has referred to earlier in this thread..?

Thank you one again Galakuma & I would be very appreciative of any more information &/or links etc that you might be able to provide! smile.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 10 January 2018 - 07:25 PM.

#60 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

この情報をありがとうございました!

これ以上写真やリンクはありますか?smile.gif

これは十和810Aが第一8803となったことを意味しますか?confused1.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 10 January 2018 - 08:36 PM.

#61 galakuma

galakuma

Mariner 2

• Loc: Japan

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:54 PM

I`m sorry that I`ve mistaken.

The Daiich optics had gotten telescopes and many parts, after bankruptcy of Towa.

But this telescope seem to be made of Daiich optics. 

This has no characteristic, and mark in Towa. And I think it was made before Towa`s finish.

I apologize to everyone.

http://yumarin7.saku...okan/Daiiti.pdf

http://yumarin7.saku...an/Towa1995.pdf

http://www.daiichiko...seihin80mm.html

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#62 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:24 PM

Certainly no need for an apology Galakuma, we very much appreciate you sharing your knowlegde. Thank you! :)

#63 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:14 AM

Most definitely no apologies needed my friend - it was some of your information & links that enabled me to even determine just what this scope was...the Dai Ichi Kogaku certainly seems quite a rare telescope with very little internet etc references, certainly outside of Japan - & I thank you for what you have provided here on CN! smile.gif

I've completed the adapters for using a modern focuser - btw, this is certainly a good one from a mechanical perspective having measured the draw-tube deviation over its full movement & it runs very true...as for mechanical build it is certainly not a "fake" (ie, imposter) & as for "cheap" - well, it cost nothing because I happened to have it as a spare...but if I had paid for it new (which to all intents & purposes it is) it costs nearly double what I paid for the Dai Ichi Kogaku..! lol.gif

I really am "old school" being born as I jokingly say "in the first half of the last century" wink.gif but I think I know a thing or 2: for example, the Chinese C14 is a cut above the US C11, as I've articulated several times...but I also own a Dremel motor tool as they were once called, made in the US (Racine, Wisconsin if I remember correctly) & a US made Homelite chainsaw (nothing fancy like chain brakes btw! lol.gif) but the Dremel was purchased in 1971 & the Homelite in 1979...both have seen an amazing amount of use over almost 50 & 40 years respectively, with the Dremel having had the bronze motor bushes replaced once & the Homelite its bar once, along with many chains naturally - they are still fantastic working tools for me! waytogo.gif

By the same token it should be remembered that Japanese industry (including optics) was only just coming out of a stage where many products were widely-disparaged at the time some of the earlier (now) vintage Japanese refractors hit the scene...& here in Oz the stories of towns that were named "USA" or "Sheffield" were apocryphal - it seems to me that Chinese goods have suffered a similar phase in their expansion of technology & industry...& are possibly subject to sweeping appraisals that might have been true in some quarters, more specifically in the past - but are no more (or less!) applicable to goods from other countries in many ways... 

I won't go into the vexed question of local production & employment et al where Australia also suffers from the waves of imports & its effects upon local industry, but one does need to be balanced when one appraises anything imo. wink.gif

Anyway, this scope will be used in outreach at times where I think the overall appearance will "wow!" some folks, younger ones possibly even more with its armada of scopes clustered together...& to me the light, smooth & fine focusing of a Crayford 10:1 will be far more workable for many, as will the ep's...especially when on its original mount at times!

And of course it can be quickly reverted to fully-original: to maintain some integrity with these modifications requires quite a bit of ingenuity...but enough of this, I have no need to justify what I do to my scopes to anyone, respectfully flowerred.gif - & the Royal Astro reflector will certainly be fully-kosher to assuage any guilt-trips I might have lol.gif although these r&p focusers do seem to work much better in a semi-vertical position on Newts for obvious reasons! smile.gif

Crinkle-black finish for exposed parts & flat black for interior aspects will be next...

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Focuser-Swap-OverParts#1.jpg

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Focuser-Swap-OverParts#2.jpg

• Bomber Bob, AndresEsteban and PeriodicTrends like this

#64 PeriodicTrends

PeriodicTrends

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valparaiso, IN

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

Looks like with those adapters (if I understand them right) you won't even touch the paint with the screws. Clever!

#65 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

Hi Chris - you're correct, but the end of the scope has marks & paint scrapes etc due to the original R&P having a 13mm flange covering the tube end which is how it is secured to the ota...that's why the thinner "cosmetic ring" is in the pikkies above, it covers that up due to a stuff-up when turning up the puck...which was meant to go over the outside for those 13mm originally.  frown.gif

No problems however & probably makes assembly & dis-assembly a tad easier: I've opted to only paint the cosmetic ring to give a nice contrast with the bare aluminium of the visible portions of the puck & the ota...using a stipple-brush approach to avoid over-use of the crinkle-black spray paint.

It looks nice btw imho but unfortunately I do have to assault the ota just forward of these components: I've agonised, thinking of an aluminium clamping band around the ota to hold the finder bracket as well as other possibilities but really the only thing to do is drill 2 small holes in the ota...

The finder was mounted on the r&p focuser in its original guise but this isn't a possibility with this focuser...when reverting to original anytime I'll put 2 little rubber plugs in those holes so it shouldn't mar the appearance then...

A pity but in nearly all other aspects I think the new focuser will enhance the appearance somewhat, forgetting about a far superior action & being able to collimate the scope...

Although I do appreciate other people having strong views about utter originality, I have my own druthers & am too old & cantankerous to have any whipper-snappers "lecture" me on the subject lol.gif but it's all with good heart ultimately, I know. flowerred.gif   

I'll post completed pikkies later today hopefully...

On another interesting aspect, after Galakuma's posts & following on from what Bob said earlier I did a bit more research on the Towa 339, it appears to me that the Towa has one of the standard small EQ mounts with either worm & screw or similar tangent arm-type declination axis mechanisms - & I'm sure I'll be reprimanded if I'm wrong on that score..! lol.gif

The Dai Ichi looks like having a somewhat beefier mount - certainly to the Tasco one I'm also restoring atm that has the aforementioned type of Dec mechanism - but the Dai Ichi also has a proper worm & wheel Dec drive as opposed to those other types...to my mind a considerable improvement & one of the aspects that seem to make this quite a rare & fine beast..! waytogo.gif

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-MountAsIs.jpg

#66 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:58 AM

Well, that's it with the Dai Ichi Kogaku for the moment...I'll make up a disk for a laser alignment & hopefully tweak on a star sometime in the not-too-distant future. fingerscrossed.gif

Not content to ravage the D-I's ota with 2 X 4mm holes for the repositioned finder scope, in a lust of looting & pillaging I stole the little RA finder that Milt had lovingly crafted from a binocular ep with focusing X-hairs & a little prism etc, sprayed it white & crinkle-blacked all other parts & stuck it on the D-I..! (I need a pirate icon with a cut-throat dagger in his mouth!)

The Sears 6333 is hiding in the caravan as we type wondering what else might befall it...but fear not, I have a lovely little alternative finder of similar vintage for it, albeit a straight-through variety. smile.gif

I had to make up a fitting plate for the base of the finder stalk because the profile was different on the ota compared to where the finder stalk originally was situated on the r&p focuser's body...laminating 2 sections of PVC came to the rescue there with the tubing used fitting the finder base & the lower layer of the lamination being profiled to that of the ota in the time-honoured way of sanding it on a similar diameter pipe section to the ota's...then switching to a smaller diameter sanding-block pipe to adjust this profile for a good fit... 

As said in my last post here I opted for stippled satin black on the cosmetic ring for the ota tube as well as the finder holder: I didn't want to overdose on wrinkle black & this ring gave a good contrast to the bare aluminium next to it of the focuser flange/puck & then the Crayford focuser which also has a subdued black texture on it... wink.gif

I'll take a break for a day or 2 & then finish of the refurbishing of the EQ6 which will carry this scope a lot of the time, although when stored will be on its original mount, the parts thereof you can vaguely see in the background of the last 2 pikkies below.

You can almost see the upright ota of the Royal Astro 4" f10 in the background with the nice little ding in the tube...that's a job coming up soon: the dis-assembled mounts on the table in the background are the Tasco & Dai Ichi...the Tasco is in pieces washed etc ready to paint & re-assemble, which I'll do for the practise  as well as get it out of the way before I start on the D-I's EQ mount.

WARNING: purists please avert your eyes from the following pikkies - this fella has no taste or shame & will stop at nothing, even shaming the honour of an original "classic scope" in the reckless pursuit of maximising optical performance without substituting the actual optics themselves...hmmm, maybe I could... rofl2.gif

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Fin#1.jpg

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Fin#4.jpg

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Fin#5.jpg

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Fin#7.jpg

• Jim Curry, neo, AndresEsteban and 3 others like this

#67 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:08 AM

...oops, more disgusting close-ups of that fake focuser fitting..! lol.gif

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Fin#8.jpg

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Fin#9.jpg

• neo, TSSClay, AndresEsteban and 1 other like this

#68 roscoe  Happy Birthday!

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

I do understand why it is nice, and important,  to keep old scopes, particularly the more rare of the lot, in original condition, but I also am one who sometimes replaces older components with newer ones, keeping the originals on hand so I can if wanted return them to stock.  My wonderful Swift 77mm now has a Vixen 1.25 tailpiece and 1.25" diagonal on it (sprayed Swift brown) so I can use my better-performing EP's in it.  Not only that, but it rides atop a Polaris, because it is way more stable than on its elegant but somewhat undersized (by modern standards) original mount.  No new holes, no irreparable damage.

• AndresEsteban, earlyriser and shredder1656 like this

#69 earlyriser

earlyriser

Apollo

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

If replacing a few components means that the telescope gets used to observe rather than sitting and gathering dust, than I am for making the changes. Unless a telescope was used to make some significant discovery, the historical value of keeping it exactly as it was is kind of limited in my opinion.

• roscoe, AndresEsteban and shredder1656 like this

#70 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

Well that turned out poorly after a great start.

-drl

#71 roscoe  Happy Birthday!

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

And...if you look at most real observatory scopes that WERE used to make significant discoveries, they've almost all been tweaked and modified and sometimes (gasp!) had actual holes drilled in them since that fateful night of wonder......

#72 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

That's really not the point. These scopes were from a specific era when quality was high, and price was relatively low, consumers world-wide had the wherewithal to purchase them, interest in science was at an all-time high, optimism for the future was colored by fear of self-annihilation - and many of us lived through it and received the classic telescopes during the course of our science education. For many of us that first telescope was a pivotal event. To take one of this class and butcher it this way is unthinkable to many of us. If you want a scope with this cheap focuser but good optics, it would be far better to find a modern version and blind the good old telescope by stealing its objective. At least it would then look like a telescope from the classic era. Better in a sense blind than disfigured.

The point is - in classic land there is much more to the story than function. I can improve any one of my classics in dozens of ways, but I leave them be, or restore them to original condition, for the next owner to enjoy.

-drl

#73 roscoe  Happy Birthday!

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

That's a good viewpoint.  My first scope was one of those Gilbert reflectors.  I have no fond memories of it at all.

And I completely understand. Before I put my Swift 831 on a Polaris, I did a full pro-grade repaint/refinish as close as I could get it to original, later replaced the damaged objective with one from another parts-scope, and used it at home and at star parties that way.  All the kit is still right there in the case, if I want the actual classic look, as most of us who mod our scopes do.

#74 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

-drl

Rats! I've blown it drl - I didn't realise you had such interest/enthusiasm for my scope "project"...tbh, for someone such as yourself who seems to post so often on so many threads here, I'd presumed you had almost no interest whatsoever in it with just a single "Like" registered from you for anything I've posted here, & that way down in Post #49 for a pikky of the Moon - what have I done!?! rofl2.gif

That's really not the point. These scopes were from a specific era when quality was high, and price was relatively low, consumers world-wide had the wherewithal to purchase them, interest in science was at an all-time high, optimism for the future was colored by fear of self-annihilation - and many of us lived through it and received the classic telescopes during the course of our science education. For many of us that first telescope was a pivotal event. To take one of this class and butcher it this way is unthinkable to many of us. If you want a scope with this cheap focuser but good optics, it would be far better to find a modern version and blind the good old telescope by stealing its objective. At least it would then look like a telescope from the classic era. Better in a sense blind than disfigured.

The point is - in classic land there is much more to the story than function. I can improve any one of my classics in dozens of ways, but I leave them be, or restore them to original condition, for the next owner to enjoy.

-drl

"Crikey!" as one of those who really is "Old School" used to say down here, what a mouth-full..! bigshock.gif

Je ne sais pas quoi dire - you of course have your right to your own opinion; even, if I might suggest, using words such as "imposter"..."butcher"...or "unthinkable to many of us" have less worthy undertones- although at least with that last phrase I appreciate you are making your point as the spokesperson for those "many of us"..!  scratchhead2.gif

But I really liked that opening for the 2nd quote above btw...a sort of "Finding Redemption with a Japanese Refractor  in The Valley of  the Shadow of Death..." - I like it a lot, it cracks me up! lol.gif

Unfortunately however, it won't make me take this scope apart & revert back to original...nor will it stop me from cracking jokes when I see the kind of absurdist (to me) commentary my activities seemingly evoke!

But really my friend, I do think that as in just about every other sphere of activity & existence, there is room for a veritable plethora of viewpoints & approaches that do not require any negative commentary nor pompous declamations: I know you struggle with eccentric bushes...perhaps you struggle with any type of eccentricity - & if so, you & I will never mix..! lol.gifflowerred.gif

#75 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

-drl

Rats! I've blown it drl - I didn't realise you had such interest/enthusiasm for my scope "project"...tbh, for someone such as yourself who seems to post so often on so many threads here, I'd presumed you had almost no interest whatsoever in it with just a single "Like" registered from you for anything I've posted here, & that way down in Post #49 for a pikky of the Moon - what have I done!?! rofl2.gif

-drl

"Crikey!" as one of those who really is "Old School" used to say down here, what a mouth-full..! bigshock.gif

Je ne sais pas quoi dire - you of course have your right to your own opinion; even, if I might suggest, using words such as "imposter"..."butcher"...or "unthinkable to many of us" have less worthy undertones- although at least with that last phrase I appreciate you are making your point as the spokesperson for those "many of us"..!  scratchhead2.gif

But I really liked that opening for the 2nd quote above btw...a sort of "Finding Redemption with a Japanese Refractor  in The Valley of  the Shadow of Death..." - I like it a lot, it cracks me up! lol.gif

Unfortunately however, it won't make me take this scope apart & revert back to original...nor will it stop me from cracking jokes when I see the kind of absurdist (to me) commentary my activities seemingly evoke!

But really my friend, I do think that as in just about every other sphere of activity & existence, there is room for a veritable plethora of viewpoints & approaches that do not require any negative commentary nor pompous declamations: I know you struggle with eccentric bushes...perhaps you struggle with any type of eccentricity - & if so, you & I will never mix..! lol.gifflowerred.gif

You can laugh all you want with your little icons but I know my point is valid. I have several period pieces, all optically excellent (that's why I have them), all as they were when I got them, and none of which will be butchered. Hit me with some more icons dude.

-drl

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics