•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Dai-Ichi 80mm f15 has landed - Help required..!

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#76 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

<"Hit me with some more icons dude.">

Err, it's not the icons "dude" - they're just expressive adjuncts to what you're meant to "read" - with the last one in my last post saying something along the lines of "peace dude!" - your point is certainly valid to yourself, you've made that abundantly clear & the only reason why you've posted in my thread at all tbh - but not for me!...as I said originally, you would've been best saying nothing in someone else's thread if you harboured such strong "thoughts" & only came on to criticise me imho.

#77 jcruse64

jcruse64

Mariner 2

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

You can laugh all you want with your little icons but I know my point is valid. I have several period pieces, all optically excellent (that's why I have them), all as they were when I got them, and none of which will be butchered. Hit me with some more icons dude.

-drl

Your point of view is valid, from your point of view (and any others coincidentally sharing it). This isn't an argument over whether or not F=M*A. Let it go; you've been throwing veiled insults at the guy for a page or 2, and everyone gets how you feel about his approach to setting his scope up.To continue to push it like this on a thread that is not even about one of your own scopes really does a disservice to this forum. I think he's been more than even-handed in his responses back to you.

I'm saying this with much respect; Let it go...

I see this all the time on Mopar forums, when someone will "restore" a classic 60's or '70's Mopar, and set a LS power plant in it. Mopar fans lose their minds. I don't like swapping Chebby parts into a Mopar either, but it's that person's property, money, and vision. And, it's their right to do with it what they will. In the end, it's just a thing, no matter how much we get attached to things.

• earlyriser likes this

#78 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

jcruse - I appreciate your comments but if I'm honest I got annoyed by drl's (sorry, I don't know his actual name) posts & I threw them back by joking about "fakes" etc...I don't want anyone getting angry which appears to be the case, I'm a bit of a joker tbh - certainly eccentric..!

I truly just wanted to do what is best for us (Pat & me) with this scope & it is meant to be one that I will use & use when we break from planetary imaging during the nights at times...& for that reason I want to be able to have it how I want it to be...

Funnily enough my biggest worry is telling Milt that I've redecorated his little customised-finder which he took some time to match to the grey of the Sears 6333 he sold me, albeit a non-original item anyway: I just "wanted" it on the Dai Ichi Kogaku & had to match its' colour-scheme to it!

I'll let him know soon...

Actually, apart from chronicling the work per se on it I thought that some of my posts gave some folks possibly insights into little "tricks" to make bits or dis-assemble scope parts, like profiling pvc laminates for getting finder bases to conform to different radii, or pulling recalcitrant parts apart etc: never intending to tell anyone how to "suck eggs" & also learning plenty of new tricks for an old dog here as well! waytogo.gif

I'll continue to post in this thread if I think it relevant but honestly just want to let that side of things go - so "Peace!" & let's all move on. smile.gif

• jcruse64 and shredder1656 like this

#79 jcruse64

jcruse64

Mariner 2

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

I like your scope(s), and enjoy this thread. Lots to learn on this forum from everyone, at least for me. Hope you are enjoying your scope and your summer!

• shredder1656 likes this

#80 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

Thanks brother! smile.gif

As for summer, I just replied to someone on the East Coast of the US who emailed me earlier today...we don't have the extremes he's talked about over there of late, but from 40°C+ one day to half that the next, with a torrential downpour about 2 hours ago it sure seems crazier than any recent summer where normally the heat is really starting to be turned up by now!

#81 earlyriser

earlyriser

Viking 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:44 AM

You can laugh all you want with your little icons but I know my point is valid. I have several period pieces, all optically excellent (that's why I have them), all as they were when I got them, and none of which will be butchered. Hit me with some more icons dude.

-drl

Your point of view is valid, from your point of view (and any others coincidentally sharing it). This isn't an argument over whether or not F=M*A. Let it go; you've been throwing veiled insults at the guy for a page or 2, and everyone gets how you feel about his approach to setting his scope up.To continue to push it like this on a thread that is not even about one of your own scopes really does a disservice to this forum. I think he's been more than even-handed in his responses back to you.

I'm saying this with much respect; Let it go...

I see this all the time on Mopar forums, when someone will "restore" a classic 60's or '70's Mopar, and set a LS power plant in it. Mopar fans lose their minds. I don't like swapping Chebby parts into a Mopar either, but it's that person's property, money, and vision. And, it's their right to do with it what they will. In the end, it's just a thing, no matter how much we get attached to things.

Good analogy. I'd say in this case it's kind of like replacing a points ignition system with an electronic one. Nothing lasts forever, and if swapping out a few old parts for new ones keeps something old in service longer, or makes it easier to use so that it is brought out more often where it can be seen by others, all the better. 

Edited by earlyriser, 13 January 2018 - 05:44 AM.

#82 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

Good analogy. I'd say in this case it's kind of like replacing a points ignition system with an electronic one. Nothing lasts forever, and if swapping out a few old parts for new ones keeps something old in service longer, or makes it easier to use so that it is brought out more often where it can be seen by others, all the better. 

...that reminds me of my old man, a Ford man nearly all his car-owning life who bought a new (Australian) ZG Fairlane LTD in 1975, full-luxury model & probably the culmination of his Ford & car ownership...351ci. V8 with points ignition: he did all his own servicing & I still remember arriving one day & seeing his legs sticking out from under the car, working on it...he was well over 80 at the time & I thought to myself something along the lines of "crikey, you old bugger!" - that must have been around about 1999.

He used to complain about having to set (& replace) the points constantly on that little distributor shaft which I don't think was terribly accessible anyway - with 8 lobes on it from memory: when he switched to electronic ignition that task simply vanished! smile.gif

#83 jcruse64

jcruse64

Mariner 2

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

I actually figure to go to EI on my '73 Dodge truck, soon. Will be hanging on to the OEM dizzy, just to have the original around for when my widow sells it, lol. I know there are a ton of cool, "Down Under Only" Mopar vehicles out there from the 40's-80's, at least. Same with Fords????

Might have missed this; are you going to try any solar viewing with this one?

#84 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, Ford Australia & GM under the "Holden" marque were our iconic vehicle manufacturers producing their own Australian designs/models right up until the last Holden plant closed in South Australia last year. (2017, Ford a couple of years earlier)

These events were met with a lot of public protest as both manufacturers had been in Oz since the early days of automobiles but had also run as autonomous branches of the US parent firms since WW2...Chrysler Australia packed it in decades ago after teaming up with Mitsubishi for a number of years, Mitsubishi going it alone but I think I'm correct to say that we now only assemble car components into whole vehicles now. frown.gif

Exactly - we will be trying the D-I Kogaku out on the Sun...I think I have a Baader solar film made up for an 80mm scope that should fit! smile.gif

#85 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:27 PM

...a bit off-topic but with the mention of Dodge trucks & electrics, Australia got a lot of Dodges in the earlier (pre WW2) days of autos, the Dodge "Flying 4's" from the 1920's were one such vehicle that could be found everywhere, but especially out bush on farm properties...

One of the few 12volt electrics at the time if I'm correct - they had these massive "North-East Electrics" starter/generators driven by a big duplex chain completely enclosed within the engine block...pumping juice into them they operated as a really gutsy 4-pole starter motor...then once the engine fired they pumped out plenty of amps at 12V+ for the electrical system.

Without wanting to start up anything further (couldn't resist the pun!) these starter-generators were often stripped from these Dodges at the end of their lives to use as motors or wind generators - I have what's probably a "classic" Le Jay US manual from between WW1 & WW2 that belonged to my father...it detailed all sorts of home & farm devices & how to build them, even giving the details for re-wiring armatures & field coils of auto electrics so that they could be used as motors or generators in 12V & 32V outputs...the Dodge units delivering 750W at 32V. 

Ford "T" & "A" model generators featured strongly as well because many of those old autos used 4-pole units due to the slower-revving motors & these were ideal...this manual had electric bikes & scooters etc also with complete plans - even propeller-carving instructions for the wind-generators!

Unfortunately, just as in the US & elsewhere many great makes & models of cars & motorbikes ended as scrap or landfill here: I saw many great British & American bikes &/or parts in dumps in the old days...sad really, but with everything it is part of the scheme of things & why to me anyone who maintains or utilises old equipment gets my thumbs up however they do it & whatever...but then again I'm an oldie... frown.gif

• actionhac, jcruse64 and shredder1656 like this

#86 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:50 AM

Set the Dai Ichi up tonight to see how everything goes with the mods plus after giving the EQ6 a makeover...well, new paint job after stripping the tripod down & replacing with thick-walled 1.5" stainless legs for the lower section of the telescopic legs.

This should give it much better "refractor-mount" versatility with it standing much taller than before, but still very strong - stronger I'd say with these much more robust lower sections. (900mm lengths)

It'll be interesting to see how the Dai Ichi mount works once I've refurbished it - despite a lot of cloud drifting across constantly & the seeing probably not very good, we got a very good view of M42 indeed with the LVW 17mm at just over 70X...lots of cloud structure visible & it wasn't truly dark tbh! waytogo.gif.

#87 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:01 AM

...the Dai Ichi hasn't gone away yet - in fact when the original mount is fully-refurbished I'll probably post here again..! shocked.gif lol.gif

Fundamentalist attitudes notwithstanding, today I collimated the replacement focuser by cutting out & fitting a very precise & snug-fitting cardboard disk (80mm) with a pin-hole at dead-centre: 2 to 3mm adjustment of the laser beam's positioning at the objective end using the collimating grubscrews fired the laser right through the middle of this pinhole...it'll be interesting to see if I notice the difference - with the C14 & planetary imaging, accurate in-camera collimation is fanatically adjusted each & everytime we image, but this might not be so important here. lol.gif

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Collimation#1.jpg

Dai-Ichi-Kogaku-Collimation#2.jpg

#88 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• Loc: NRW, Germany

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:51 AM

Hello Kokatha man,

gratulations for your scope - it seems you got an Daiichi telescope from a better time.

If I remember correct, today Daiichi/Daiiti produce only cheap "toy"-telescopes as our Galakuma confirmed here :

https://www.cloudyni...facturer-alive/

I wonder if they ever made an 4" refractor f/15 ??

I hope you have saved the original focuser ?

Kind regards, Michael Aaron from germany

Edited by AaronM, 22 January 2018 - 01:58 AM.

#89 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:38 AM

Hi Michael - Galakuma commented earlier in this thread (Page 3) & from the little amount of evidence available, D-I made some fine scopes & also supplied to Vixen amongst other manufacturers...eyepieces for Celestron also I believe.

I think if you read his comments carefully in that old thread you linked to, his "toy" comments refer to nowadays.....

He commented back then: <"Name of Daiiti was not popular in the list in the history of a telescope.
But Daiiti supplied a telescope with Towa identically in a company of most as an OEM.
Vixen, Kenko, Carton, .etc."> 

By "not popular" I take it to mean that they were not common (they certainly appear to be quite rare btw) but he went on to say at the time that they <"supplied Towa, Vixen, Kenko, Carton, etc"> as an OEM - that is, as an "Original Equipment Manufacturer" so I think this attests to the quality of their production...which is reflected in everything I have found in my own D-I Koguka! waytogo.gif

Without wanting to say too much more about old telescopes & restorations Vs modifications, of course I kept the old focuser, which I refurbished & actually improved to the best I could without doing anything at all except replacing the focuser lock screw with a different one that used a Teflon-tipped bushing & replacing the felt packing - it is there if I ever have any need to re-install it.

I did drill two 4mm holes in the ota but I see that as completely trivial...reading the classic scopes pages one constantly comes across holes being re-filled, tubes being dent-knocked & filler applied, parts fabricated, corroded castings reworked etc, etc: I'm not a purist, which I've stated many times but I do know that if I placed the original focuser back in & filled those 2 holes & re-painted the tube it would still be far more kosher than many of the scopes resuscitated here & no-one would be able to tell the difference...& this is in no way disparaging to any of the aforementioned practices or the restored telescopes! wink.gif

I will restore the EQ mount to original as I said - another aspect of the Dai-Ichi that displays the quality that they put into this scope (& not present on quite a few of the similar scopes of Towa etc...regardless of whether D-I were or were not the OEM lol.gif ) is that both the RA & Dec drives are full worm & wheel mechanisms on my mount - many other "vintage" Japanese mounts only used lesser mechanisms for the Declination drives... wink.gif

On the matter of my collimating it this afternoon I cannot say whether I did an "on-axis" or "off-axis" collimation - the objective cell is held in by a type of panhead setscrew but in engineering a countersunk setscrew locates any assembly much more definitively than a panhead.....so that despite the fact that the 2.5mm wall thickness ota was originally parted in a lathe so that both ends are true & square during manufacture, I cannot be certain whether the objective is sitting square (orthogonal) even though I know in fabricating the fittings & machining the replacement focuser that end was very square before adjusting the grubscrews during my collimating today... 

But I think that is a pretty moot point btw in the scheme of things - even "off-axis" collimation should theoretically improve the performance, although in the world of refractors of this ilk I am yet to see if this makes much difference... hmm.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics