•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question: Did anyone have trouble seeing prominences?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

I've enjoyed reading eclipse reports, including some remarking on how prominences were easily visible with the naked eye.

For some reason, I had difficulty seeing them. I didn't spot any with the naked eye. With binoculars, I could see the one at 3 o'clock, but it was just a bright orange-pink smudge within the brilliant inner corona. (Impression of what I saw here):

Attached File  ~Totality-impression-f-final-cropped.jpg   25.01KB   0 downloads

Since my eyesight is pretty good, I've wondered if there was a stray wisp of cirrus passing over the sun at that moment.

Did anyone else here have any trouble?

Edited by Exeligmos, 21 December 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#2 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Viking 1

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:14 AM

I could not resolve the prominences naked eye but could see spots of the bright pink color without optical aid.  Through my binoculars and Celestron-90 they were very, , ,prominent.

Clear skies and clean glass,

Mike

#3 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

My problem may be that I was using instruments with a low focal ratio (9x63s and my mark 1 eyeballs). I do know that increasing power can increase contrast, but I didn't think of that when planning the outing. As I'd never seen anything remotely like prominences, I just didn't know any better.

For 2024 (or 2020), I'll have a small telescope with me (perhaps with a clock drive) to get in closer to the prominences and chromosphere.

#4 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• Loc: Akron, OH, USA

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

I've enjoyed reading eclipse reports, including some remarking on how prominences were easily visible with the naked eye.

For some reason, I had difficulty seeing them. I didn't spot any with the naked eye. With binoculars, I could see the one at 3 o'clock, but it was just a bright orange-pink smudge within the brilliant inner corona. (Impression of what I saw here):

attachicon.gif~Totality-impression-f-final-cropped.jpg

Since my eyesight is pretty good, I've wondered if there was a stray wisp of cirrus passing over the sun at that moment.

Did anyone else here have any trouble?

Could the geometry of your specific location have anything to do with it? How close were you to the center line?

i don't consider my eyesight anything special, and the prominences were VERY visible at 3 and 5 o'clock. I was about 20 miles from the point of greatest eclipse, but almost as far from the center line. The eclipse magnitude from our location was 1.032. It may be that if your eclipse was too deep, it could actually obscure the prominences as well? Just a thought and a data point to share in your quest. 

Damien

#5 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

i don't consider my eyesight anything special, and the prominences were VERY visible at 3 and 5 o'clock. I was about 20 miles from the point of greatest eclipse, but almost as far from the center line. The eclipse magnitude from our location was 1.032. It may be that if your eclipse was too deep, it could actually obscure the prominences as well? Just a thought and a data point to share in your quest.

The prominence was visible. It seemed to be overwhelmed by the glare of the surrounding corona. Plus, the sky around the sun looked like this just before totality (iPhone video frame):

Attached File  contrails.jpg   45.61KB   0 downloads

Perhaps the clouds got me after all....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics