•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Guide scope and software for AZQE5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 577nitro

577nitro

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

So I am returning to Astro-everything after a 20 year hiatus. Am now 72, and just bought a Stellerview 125 APO, a AZQE5 mount, a Baader Hyperion 8-24 eyepiece, and a GSO 2" diagonal. Add a 60mm guide scope...and am exhausted in reading all of the new gadgets and SW to guide, process etc..So I definitely need some clear advice on a guide camera, and SW to plug into my semi-hardened laptop running Win 7 and probably direct to the mount if there is such a capability.......Back when I had my Astrophysic 5" and losmondy  mount, I was agile and happy to do the guiding myself...but well the good thing about old age is it doesn't last long.....:-)...smile.gif

Fred

#2 ajaymandke

ajaymandke

Vostok 1

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

I have AZEQ5 and use Zhumell 50mm guidescope with ZWO ASI 120MC guidecam.

On software side, here is what I use

1) EQMod/EQASCOM as ASCOM driver 

2) Cartes du Ciel as planetarium

3) Astro Photography Tool (APT) for capturing images from main cam (DSLR)

4) PHD2 for guiding (with ZWO ASI)

5) Platesolving (PlateSolve 2 integrated with APT or astrotortilla)

I run all cables (from main cam, guide cam and mount to a powered USB hub attached to AZEQ5 tri-pier with velcro) and run only one cable from USB hub to computer. I use PHD2/AstroTortilla polar align tool to polar align the mount, but I don't go through star alignment. Instead, I use either CdC or APT object brower/list to select target and the PC issues slew commands to EQASCOM driver to move the mount. After that, APT with platesolving technique, can precisely center scope/camera on the target as initial gotos are not accurate.

Ajay

Edited by ajaymandke, 22 December 2017 - 04:56 PM.

#3 577nitro

577nitro

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:45 PM

Super Ajay!

I have heard or read about EQMod, APT, and PHD2 and will now investigate even more. I need to look into the ZWO .Luckily I only have the major items and not spent heavy on other things...Thank you so much, very helpful.

#4 je2000

je2000

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:20 AM

USB direct to laptop with Cartes du Ciel will slew but I haven't been able to get Stellarium to work. I have the SV102T and am new at this too, so I'll try and update here! 

#5 577nitro

577nitro

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

I am sure there are a lot of "connect and working issues" that I will run into. I have read several say the EQMOD is really good, and that the Cartes du Ciel as ok, but mostly as a sky mapper?

a lot are freeware, so might tray out a few. I do want to be able to do all of it remotely as I really don't like temps below 40 much, and live in Colorado.

#6 ajaymandke

ajaymandke

Vostok 1

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

You can use StellariumScope (which is a separate plugin) to connect to ASCOM telescope driver including EQASCOM. I just checked StellariumScope and it now supports latest 0.17 release of Stellarium (earlier version of plugin needed older version 0.15)

http://welshdragonco...stellariumscope

Ajay

Edited by ajaymandke, 23 December 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#7 ajaymandke

ajaymandke

Vostok 1

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

Most recent version of APT (3.5) now supports Stellarium integration. I have not yet updated myself to test how it works.  

#8 Guest7564635

Guest7564635

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

Most recent version of APT (3.5) now supports Stellarium integration. I have not yet updated myself to test how it works.  

Did try it yesterday and it works very good..

Cheers

Martin

#9 577nitro

577nitro

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

Thank all, I had no idea there were so many options. Are these also compatible with CCDs or DSLR imaging, or is that a separate configuration item? I would eventually like to be able to sit in my warm living room, and tour the sky. I think that would be an ultimate combination especially to enable the smallest of my grandchildren to see the wonders.

#10 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

SkyX is the best for controlling our mounts. Plus you can also control everything else in your system using one software. Highly recommended it over any other control software.

#11 577nitro

577nitro

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

SkyX, now that is one I have not found in my 1 month search....not long, but I sort pretty well. I will certainly read up on it, as single module control should be attractive to all of us. For me at this point in life, I don't think I want too many things to worry about as then frustration runs wild...Thank you for the input!

#12 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

SkyX is nice because you can get T-point on it and use it to align the mount extremely tight. It makes imaging so much easier rather than having to compile multiple softwares to run each system the SkyX does it all. Simple and clean. You will need SkyX plus the T-point and camera add on.

#13 577nitro

577nitro

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

Im going to get it next week as it appears to not care particularly what type of camera I might end up with. Im also researching whether I will need a focal reducer. My scope has a focal ratio of F/7 @ 875 FL and 125 mm OL.smile.gif

#14 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

SkyX is nice because you can get T-point on it and use it to align the mount extremely tight. It makes imaging so much easier rather than having to compile multiple softwares to run each system the SkyX does it all. Simple and clean. You will need SkyX plus the T-point and camera add on.

Check out Prism v10

#15 je2000

je2000

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:36 AM

You can use StellariumScope (which is a separate plugin) to connect to ASCOM telescope driver including EQASCOM. I just checked StellariumScope and it now supports latest 0.17 release of Stellarium (earlier version of plugin needed older version 0.15)

http://welshdragonco...stellariumscope

Ajay

Thanks for this, I couldn't get it to work last week. It appears a brand new version should work. I got Cartes du Ciel to work ok, so I know things are headed in the right direction.

#16 577nitro

577nitro

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:51 PM

It appears from my reading of a bunch of posting, that almost everyone is or has had a dilemma with either SW of HW, or both....I guess the integration testing done by some of the developers is not terribly robust...BUT, that is what the wonderful world of Software has given us all.....I have been in it for over 50 years and it still goes on and on usually left up to the end user to figure out how to either fix it, or try another product.smirk.gif

#17 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:23 PM

1. Buy the deep sky imaging primer by charles bracken and read it. It explains a ton of things that will otherwise elude you for years.

2. The easiest route for integration for you is to use just three products starting out. The SKYX (it's expensive) is a fully integrated program with planetarium, telescope control, image acquisition, guiding, plate solving, mount modeling and auto focusing (if you have a motor). Pixinsight is the most powerful post processing program and if you want automation CCD Autopilot is my choice.

3. The cheaper route is to use sequence generator pro plus a planetarium program plus PHD2.6 plus some plate solving program (Platesolve 2) and forgo mount modeling. This you will have to integrate yourself but given your software background it should be simple to do.

Rgrds-Ross

#18 577nitro

577nitro

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:20 AM

Ross,I have read many of your posts and they are quite well thought out and written. I have been looking into SKYX for all of its inclusion. Though have been associated with SW design, integration, testing and evaluation, I am not a programmer nor want to be one. So a more complete rout is most likely my course. I have noticed that many still have alternate resources primarily like Stellarium etc. BTW, I went to ANA in Carlsbad in the 60s

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics