•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thoughts on a Meade 8" 2080 w/ LX Drive

cassegrain
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 mark david

mark david

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

This evening I may be purchasing a 8"Meade Model 2080 F10 Telescope for a fair price.

It comes with many very handy extras including a case, an RACI finder scope, a motofocuser and more....

From the photos and talking with the owner it appears to be well cared for.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I might look for before an agreement.

Long ago I owned a C-8 and loved it's simplicity, the tracking motor and ease in which to take it outside compared to my recently sold 13.1 Coulter Odyssey.

Thank you all and I'll look forward to your thoughts on this.

Mark

• bbqediguana likes this

#2 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

I have one and one thing to check to see if. the secondary is sliver coated. Right above the focuser has a sticker that says

MULTI-COATED SILVER OPTICS GROUP. This scope was given to me and I will need  to get the secondary recoated some time in the future. All other coatings look fine. 

• bbqediguana likes this

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

I love mine! It needed to have the secondary recoated, but that was a relatively minor issue.

My baby...

2080 LX3 (4-11-2015)a.jpg

As far as things to check, if it is in good physical condition, the secondary is about it. Look up through the back of the scope and see if there are spots on the secondary, they'll look like freckles. Mine actually worked fine with the spots, but having it recoated just made it shine like new. Mine was also originally configured for imaging by its original owner with the latest 1980's technology. I stripped all that stuff off and just use it as a manual scope with a clock drive. It makes a very nice star-hopping scope.

Have fun!

• bbqediguana likes this

#4 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

If you do pick it up, please share some pics! I love to see 2080's - they are such a sharp looking scope! :)

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#5 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

Pretty sure the the base model 2080 wasn't offered with multicoated optics. Just a coated corrector. Other than the issue of field power the AC powered are fine telescopes. They run on 3 watts that's 0.028 amps. This 300 watt inverter will be more than adequate.

https://www.ebay.com...xUAAOSwWflaAMvr

They don't say how efficient ti is, but even at a 20% loss a 7amp hour motorcycle battery 

will last 75 hours to 55% charge.

There's a lot to be said for simplifying viewing. I'm sure a lot of fine complicated equipment gets too little use due to time it takes to set up align and power.

And there's nothing to stop you from adding some encoders, an interface like Dave Ek's and using a phone or tablet to guide your viewing in complete silence.

• bbqediguana and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

Pretty sure the the base model 2080 wasn't offered with multicoated optics. Just a coated corrector. Other than the issue of field power the AC powered are fine telescopes. They run on 3 watts that's 0.028 amps. This 300 watt inverter will be more than adequate.

https://www.ebay.com...xUAAOSwWflaAMvr

They don't say how efficient ti is, but even at a 20% loss a 7amp hour motorcycle battery 

will last 75 hours to 55% charge.

There's a lot to be said for simplifying viewing. I'm sure a lot of fine complicated equipment gets too little use due to time it takes to set up align and power.

And there's nothing to stop you from adding some encoders, an interface like Dave Ek's and using a phone or tablet to guide your viewing in complete silence.

I have the original LX drive base for my 2080 and I do enjoy using it - however my LX6 base is DC-powered and is even quieter! I often use it without the hand controller and just use the manual RA and Dec knobs for adjusting - so the only electronics I use is the silent RA motor. Such a nice, relaxing experience. :)

#7 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

Which scope had what depended on which "2080."

To avoid confusion, it's best to only refer to the basic AC powered Meade 8-inch as the "2080." All the (more expensive) DC scopes are commonly known by their other designations.

You had the... 

LX2 (not many of these).

LX3 (quite popular, and the only one with the silvered secondary).

The LX5 (the most popular of the pre LX200s).

The LX6 (f/6.3 optics, contemporaneous with the f/10 LX5).

And, finally, the Premier, which allowed you to choose focal ratio and other options.

Edited by rmollise, 28 December 2017 - 04:21 PM.

• Mitrovarr, Live_Steam_Mad, jdupton and 2 others like this

#8 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

Ahah! Now I get it. I have an 8" LX3 and a 10" f/10 Premier. The confusing bit seems to be that the Premier and LX6 used the same mount. Anyowho, they all make wonderful visual scopes.

...a rose by any other name...

#9 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

Ahah! Now I get it. I have an 8" LX3 and a 10" f/10 Premier. The confusing bit seems to be that the Premier and LX6 used the same mount. Anyowho, they all make wonderful visual scopes.

...a rose by any other name...

The Premier came right after the LX6, so the mount was little changed.

#10 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

There was a late LX6 that had a 360 tooth crown as opposed to the earlier 180 tooth. Not sure if that was a "Premier" or not. Bob Pollock claimed that Premier was an option package. As I recall it included the illuminated 9 by 60 RA polar scope, Super wedge, 2" diagonal and a few other goodies.

The LX designation didn't last long and isn't very common. Think it was for "long exposure." The worm and crown were claimed to have improved accuracy. It also carried the 2080B OTA, which was slightly better than the original. The LX appears to have reverted to the "2080" and "2120" with the introduction of the LX3. The base 2080 and 2120 were not discontinued until the introduction of the LX10 in 1995. The LX10 used a simple R-C frequency controlled system that later cropped up in the ETX90-RA.

LX10Schematic.jpg

Compare it's complexity to that of the Celestron "Logic Drive" that employs a operational amplifier to gain better current control. You can build on of these on a 1" square piece of pref board for about $5 if you have to buy the parts. But they haven't had a local circuit board collection for a few years, so I have a bin full. 

OPAmpmod.jpg

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

Which scope had what depended on which "2080."

To avoid confusion, it's best to only refer to the basic AC powered Meade 8-inch as the "2080." All the (more expensive) DC scopes are commonly known by their other designations.

You had the... 

LX2 (not many of these).

LX3 (quite popular, and the only one with the silvered secondary).

The LX5 (the most popular of the pre LX200s).

The LX6 (f/6.3 optics, contemporaneous with the f/10 LX5).

And, finally, the Premier, which allowed you to choose focal ratio and other options.

I think there was a LX100 for a short time in the 90's just before the LX200.

#12 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

I believe the 2080 moniker just refers to Meade's 8" SCT OTA and 2120 referred to the 10" SCT OTA. The LX designations refer to the mounts/drives. The originals (prior to the first LX drive) were the only units just called "2080".

I could be wrong about that, however. I am just going based on the Meade manuals I've read.

#13 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:48 PM

Hi   I have the rare    Meade 2080LX2     I bought it new in May of 1984     used it through late 80s  and left the hobby    rarely  I took it out   for some things  shoemaker levy hitting Jupiter, Hale Bop

It had the improved drive, better eyepieces? then anyways? enhanced coatings  I was told when I bought at New England Astro Optics in Connecticut....     I probably have  the original manual  somewhere?

As it stands  I am back in the hobby now  in my 60's and I am going to 4 inch refractors...

Might be parting with this scope.....   might part it out.... not sure what to do but before I do anything I guess I could gather the info and take pics for those of you who would like some......I should have realised there was a group of folks needning and collecting info on these   serial number  804143

Thanks

Barry

Fairfield Connecticut

• bbqediguana likes this

#14 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:17 PM

I would love to see pictures of your scope (especially the plate with the serial number on it) as well as possibly getting a scan of your owner's manual (especially if it contains verbiage regarding the LX2!). Based on my research, the biggest difference between the LX and the LX2 was upgraded eyepieces and a larger finder scope. I believe the upgraded coatings came with the 2080B package - which likely could have been designated LX or LX2 (not too sure about that - perhaps Uncle Rod would know?).

I hope it's okay with you - but I added an entry on my Meade LX Registry for your scope. It has the "youngest" serial number I've seen to date! This is very exciting!

Thank you for sharing! :)

Rick in Canada (eh!)

• Live_Steam_Mad, Defenderslideguitar and Tradertom69 like this

#15 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Rick 

yes   I am happy to provide whatever you need and certainly document what you need to.....  Pics to come.

I think  it has the bigger  finder ....,  the then better eye pieces , and the lx drive .  Unlike he lx3  it does not have the ac/dc  etc   just  ac cord.   It does have the better worm gear clock drive.  I dont think the coatings are  the silvered coatings.  I have the original  trunk foam case........ I am  in need of two of the plastic screws for the finder .....

all the best

Barry

Fairfield, Connecticut

• bbqediguana likes this

#16 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

Meade LX2  PICS

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeRender (57).jpg
  • FullSizeRender (58).jpg
  • mEADE lx2 pic3FullSizeRender (59).jpg

• Live_Steam_Mad and bbqediguana like this

#17 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

As you can see  it does not have the ac/dc panel of the LX3  and the serial number plate is in the b ack  the LX3 they moved it to the side because the back panel had a lot more going on. I beleive this LX2 purchased new by me in May of 1984   had supposedly better eyepieces better coatings but not the silver coatings. It has a better finder?   It has the worm gear clock drive an improvement over the basic 2080 but not the quartz drive of the LX3 and Lx5   etc. which is fine with me since this one works flawlessly 34 years later.  I'l sen a pic of the add on motor and controller that is so primative compared to the LX3 , 5 ,6 et al.

#18 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

That is AWESOME! If that is the original finder, it is certainly larger than the one that came with my 2080. Is that a 50 or 60mm? It looks like it has a helical focuser on the back - kind of like a Tele Vue Ranger. Very interesting!

Do you recall what eyepieces came with it? Thank you very much! :)

#19 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

So    it was just  a moment in time   when the LX2 appeared for a very short time  like the comet  it moved away quickly  

LX3 had so much more going for it at the time  .....

this was the extra add oncontrol box thing           bought in late 1984 or 85

Barry

Attached Thumbnails

• MEADELX2CONTROLLERFullSizeRender (70).jpg

#20 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:33 PM

It came with   10mm  and a 20mm  Meade eyepieces

I think the 10 is shown in these pics

Thanks for your interest in preserving the information....I am pretty sure in a box in the attic I have the manual  .. sales receit  ... articles  and stuff  as I have always saved stuff like that... still have the orginal paperwork/receipt/ tags that go with my Gibson Les Paul from 1974 when I was turning 17.....

I have pictures  of the LX2 when I took it in my 1980 Datsun 280zx to Florida for Halley's comet  1985/1986...we used to piggy back slr cameras on top of the scope...with a T adapter we would take other shots    hold the shutter open and count.....crazy fun old days...the only thing I did not hold onto was my hair...................B

• bbqediguana likes this

#21 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

MAN! You've got some good taste... Meade SCT's, Gibson guitars, Datsun ZX's.... GOOD STUFF! :)

I used to use an Olympus OM-1 with a T-adapter on my Meade 2120 LX6 Premier with the remote shutter release (a manual plunger type) to take my astro photos. I really wish I had kept a few of those!

At least I still have my hair... for now... :p

#22 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

So    it was just  a moment in time   when the LX2 appeared for a very short time  like the comet  it moved away quickly  

LX3 had so much more going for it at the time  .....

this was the extra add oncontrol box thing           bought in late 1984 or 85

Barry

This is essentially the same electronics that ended up in the LX3's base and hand control. Was Meade spurred on by Roger Tuthill's Star Trap upgrade for the Super C8? Or was it the other way around?

#23 Tradertom69

Tradertom69

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bear, DE

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:52 PM

Rick, I too have an older 2080 which I have just brought out of storage after 20 years. I am trying to identify my mount and a controlled that I have as well. Serial # on the tag is 828045. The controller is a Vogel Enterprises VE varitrak but I seem to be missing a cord maybe? And the only connector I see on the wedge is the spot to connect the main power cord on the underside. (A 3 prong female cord like the back of a PC tower).

Edited by Tradertom69, 04 August 2018 - 09:08 PM.

#24 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:27 AM

That is AWESOME! If that is the original finder, it is certainly larger than the one that came with my 2080. Is that a 50 or 60mm? It looks like it has a helical focuser on the back - kind of like a Tele Vue Ranger. Very interesting!

Do you recall what eyepieces came with it? Thank you very much! smile.gif

Pretty rare finder. Probably Hino Metal Specialties that produced Meade's Premier refractors in this period. With the helical focuser it can be used in the right angle or straight thru mode. Vixen produced a similar model for Celestron. They make passable guiders.

• Live_Steam_Mad, bbqediguana and Defenderslideguitar like this

#25 dlhaviland

dlhaviland

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:30 PM

Hey folks:

Not my intent to derail this thread but I do have a related question...

I have inherited a Meade MTS SC8.  The original mount is an equatorial fork mount and the hand controller is long gone.   It has the older look of the 8 or 9 pin audio connection as of it were a old microphone and not a standard serial port.   I'm strongly leaning to de-forking the OTA and re-mounting it on a more up to date equatorial.   Given the age, I may have to pull the tube apart as well for a top to bottom cleaning. 

Has any one here done?   I'm looking to see if I can find a vixen that will simply bolt in place but some how I may end up having to use rings which mount to the vixen.  

Thoughts? 

David 

Edited by dlhaviland, 20 October 2018 - 03:43 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cassegrain

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics