•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thoughts on a Meade 8" 2080 w/ LX Drive

cassegrain
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

I have mounted my 2080 (same OTA as the MTS SC8) on an EQ-5 mount using a Vixen dovetail bar that bolted directly to the OTA without any mods. 

https://farpointastr...ade-8-inch-sct/

It works great, and you can always go back to the forks easily if you want.

Interestingly, I wound up getting a 2nd 2080 on an LX fork mount, and I prefer that over the EQ so that's what I use primarily. 

#27 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:44 PM

David from your description you have the MTS with the LX3 drive system. The DIN jack was for the hand control.

Back in the '90s Mike Covington designed a replacement hand control that uses a µprocessor and is more accurate than Meade's unit. http://www.covington...lcor/index.html

This circuit replaces the oscillator on the main board with a better solution.

LX3_HB.jpg

#28 vballrican

vballrican

Sputnik

• Loc: Sarasota, Fl

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:21 AM

Hello everyone.. i know it's an old thread but just saw a Meade L Quartz 8", might be LX3 but not sure, for sale with tripod for $500.. i don't have a Cass yet.. good idea to check it out?  Thanks. 

• bbqediguana likes this

#29 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

Hello everyone.. i know it's an old thread but just saw a Meade L Quartz 8", might be LX3 but not sure, for sale with tripod for $500.. i don't have a Cass yet.. good idea to check it out?  Thanks. 

An LX3 will be from the mid-late 80's, so watch out for mirror degredation (especially on the secondary if it has the Multi Coated Silvered Optics Group) as well as coating failure on the corrector plate. If it is in great shape, then maybe $500. I bought a similar one a while back for $300 that included the forks and the tripod.

• vballrican likes this

#30 tomykay12

tomykay12

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:20 PM

Yep, 300 is about right

#31 vballrican

vballrican

Sputnik

• Loc: Sarasota, Fl

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:57 AM

An LX3 will be from the mid-late 80's, so watch out for mirror degredation (especially on the secondary if it has the Multi Coated Silvered Optics Group) as well as coating failure on the corrector plate. If it is in great shape, then maybe $500. I bought a similar one a while back for $300 that included the forks and the tripod.

Thanks.. I passed on ti since the seller wasn't very cooperative.. Thanks. 

#32 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

hey Rick   check out this ad  tonight in the classifieds

https://www.cloudyni...-25000shipping/

• bbqediguana and KennFromTX like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cassegrain

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics