•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 6 for iOS is now available

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

After many months of hard work, Simulation Curriculum would like to announce the release of SkySafari 6 for iOS.  The Mac and Android versions will follow in the first half of 2018.

SkySafari 6 basic:  http://itunes.apple....pp/id1257281849
SkySafari 6 Plus: http://itunes.apple....pp/id1262647300
SkySafari 6 Pro: http://itunes.apple....pp/id1306165506

- “Clouds and Astronomy”.
Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our web interface, LiveSky.com.

- We Have The Best Stars.
Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog. 25 million stars down to 15th magnitude isn’t enough for you? An easy in-app purchase gets you down to 16.5 magnitude and a whopping 100 million stars!

- We Have The Best Galaxies.
The PGC catalog includes galaxies down to 18th magnitude. Want more galaxies? How about 2.6 million more? An in-app purchase gives you access, bringing the deepest, approximately 21st magnitude objects to your device.

- Observers First.
A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe and record your observations. The new observing sessions feature lets you collect your observations into groups that span a few hours, or a few nights.

- Graph It.
The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.

- Plan It.
Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog and more. Plan it and get more done.

- Say It.

Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Tian,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.

- Tilt It.
Every old astronomy app these days lets your tilt and pan your device to show different parts of the sky, but who else lets you control your scope that way!? “Tilt to slew” is an optional mode allowing you to keep your eye in the eyepiece, and, using the accelerometers in your device, gently translates the movements of your hands into smooth telescope motion. On-screen tilt buttons putting you on tilt? Try tilt-to-slew.

- Share It.
SkySafari 6 is more than just a mobile app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, (coming soon) you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version. Yes, it runs in Windows browsers too!

As usual, we have SkySafari 6 on sale at half price for the first month after release.  Now is the time to upgrade.

Bill and the rest of the Simulation Curriculum team.

Edited by btschumy, 22 December 2017 - 04:29 PM.

• JHollJr, martinl, Arizona-Ken and 7 others like this

#2 JohnWatty

JohnWatty

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

Auto buy for me, but can't find it when I search the app store on my iphone

edit - fixed it by logging into Cloudynights and clicking your link :)

Edited by JohnWatty, 22 December 2017 - 04:56 PM.

• JHollJr likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

Awaiting the Android version! 

waytogo.gif

• krahling and bsavoie like this

#4 psandelle

psandelle

Soyuz

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hmm, no way to buy it.

Paul

#5 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

edit - fixed it by logging into Cloudynights and clicking your link smile.gif

Yes, Apple has not yet updated their search index so you have to use the link for now.  I'm sure that in a couple of hours the Search will work as well.

#6 psandelle

psandelle

Soyuz

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

Fie! Fie on you Apple!

Paul

#7 MG1692

MG1692

Apollo

• Loc: Western Kansas

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

Yes, Apple has not yet updated their search index so you have to use the link for now.  I'm sure that in a couple of hours the Search will work as well.

Is there anywhere we can see a comparison with Sky Safari 5. For example what changes are there that might tempt me to upgrade?

#8 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

Midway down it shows the "What's New in SkySafari 6".

I'm praying the Android version has the "Tilt to slew" as it's an awesome addition IMO.

#9 psandelle

psandelle

Soyuz

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

Victory!

Paul

#10 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

Auto buy for me, too, even at $19.99, and at that price I got both the iPad Pro version and the iPhone version.

#11 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

I got a notification on my devices, and was able to upgrade from Sky Safari Pro 5.

#12 fmeschia

fmeschia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

Can I share observing lists and settings in the cloud between SkySafari 5 Plus on the Mac and SkySafari 6 Plus on iOS, just like I do today with SkySafari 5 Plus on both platforms? Or should I wait until version 6 is available on all platforms?

#13 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

Got mine

• JHollJr likes this

#14 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Okanagan Valley, BC.

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:04 PM

On your website the sale price is $19.99 USD.  To download from the Apple Canada store the cost is $27.99 CAD or approximately $21.86 US. Apple pockets a very nice currency conversion fee. 

• ChrisBCritters likes this

#15 DuiA1

DuiA1

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

Got it!  Does anyone know how to upload their scopes, Barlow’s, lenses from Version 5? Thx in advance. Love this program. Setting tab is different and could not find how to do this. 

#16 JohnWatty

JohnWatty

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

Got it!  Does anyone know how to upload their scopes, Barlow’s, lenses from Version 5? Thx in advance. Love this program. Setting tab is different and could not find how to do this. 

I would like to do this, too...

#17 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Apollo

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:42 PM

Merry Christmas! Thanks Bill.

#18 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5°N,81.5°W

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

What happened to iCloud storage?  Do we have to use whatever LiveSky is now to sync across devices?

• Mighty likes this

#19 colgs3b

colgs3b

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zionsville, IN

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

Just went from 4 Plus to 6 Pro. Would have been nice if all my settings transferred over. Time to key the, all back in.

• Sarkikos likes this

#20 wcw

wcw

Mariner 2

• Loc: Red Hook, NY

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

I bought this in part for the promise of voice commands. Unfortunately, voice command does not work on my iPad. I got an error message saying "Older devices have no voice control when offline". I bought my iPad Dec 2012. It does work when my iPad is connected to the internet, but of course that is not helpful in terms of wanting to use it when connected to SkiFi to actually control the scope.

-Bill

Edited by wcw, 22 December 2017 - 10:38 PM.

#21 chbrandt

chbrandt

Explorer 1

• Loc: Kansas City, MO

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:27 PM

I would like to do this, too...

Just went from 4 Plus to 6 Pro. Would have been nice if all my settings transferred over. Time to key the, all back in.

Here's a link with more info about how to transfer your settings and observing lists from previous versions:

https://support.simu...ro-to-SS-6-Pro-

-Chris

#22 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:50 AM

Is there anywhere we can see a comparison with Sky Safari 5. For example what changes are there that might tempt me to upgrade?

www.skysafariastronomy.com has several comparison charts between SS5 and SS6.

Edited by btschumy, 23 December 2017 - 12:52 AM.

#23 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:54 AM

Midway down it shows the "What's New in SkySafari 6".

I'm praying the Android version has the "Tilt to slew" as it's an awesome addition IMO.

Assuming tilt-to-slew proves popular, we will certainly have it in the Android version.

#24 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:57 AM

You can find the instructions here:

https://support.simu...to-SkySafari-6-

#25 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:59 AM

What happened to iCloud storage?  Do we have to use whatever LiveSky is now to sync across devices?

Yes, we no longer support iCloud storage in SkySafari 6.  It was too limited to support the directions we wanted to go.  Although LiveSky is still maturing, I think it will do everything you need of it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics