•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 6 Pro

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 RLawson

RLawson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

Just got an email saying that the new SkySafari 6 Pro is available. Just downloaded it.

• JHollJr and Rick-T137 like this

#2 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

Quite exciting as per this thread!

#3 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

Got the email earlier and read about the changes and new features.  Can't wait for the Android version now, since I dumped iOS and Mac and switched back.  Hope it's not too long.

#4 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:02 AM

After participating in the beta testing phase, I am glad to be currently downloading the stable release smile.gif

#5 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

Currently awaiting the Android release (sometime in the new year).

#6 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

I am hesitant to jump on the upgrade - even though the price will be good. I run SkySafari Pro 5 on my MacBook and it runs wonderfully. I remember "back in the day" using Starry Night Pro 5 on my old iBook and then jumping on Starry Night Pro 6 when it came out and being bitterly disappointed. It was so slow compared to 5, and the whole DSS sky display was rubbish for me (I'm sure it was a cool feature when they cooked it up, but for someone who is using the app to navigate the skies, having photo-realistic images of EVERYTHING isn't really a requirement). With some fiddling I made it run similarly to 5 - but it was still way slower. I went back to 5.

I'll have to see what features are offered in SkySafari 6 to see if an upgrade is something that interests me. I guess I'm past the point where I have to have the latest version of everything (10 years ago, that was certainly how I was!). :)

• Kent Blackwell and Steve Cox like this

#7 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:26 AM

Many changes done, a lot under the hood, a lot visible. Best bet is to spend some time reading what this upgrade offers and then decide :)

• Rick-T137 likes this

#8 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

I am hesitant to jump on the upgrade - even though the price will be good. I run SkySafari Pro 5 on my MacBook and it runs wonderfully. I remember "back in the day" using Starry Night Pro 5 on my old iBook and then jumping on Starry Night Pro 6 when it came out and being bitterly disappointed. It was so slow compared to 5, and the whole DSS sky display was rubbish for me (I'm sure it was a cool feature when they cooked it up, but for someone who is using the app to navigate the skies, having photo-realistic images of EVERYTHING isn't really a requirement). With some fiddling I made it run similarly to 5 - but it was still way slower. I went back to 5.

I'll have to see what features are offered in SkySafari 6 to see if an upgrade is something that interests me. I guess I'm past the point where I have to have the latest version of everything (10 years ago, that was certainly how I was!). smile.gif

If you frequently sync between the Mac and an iOS device, you might want to hold off until SS6 is available on Mac.  In SS6 we have totally redone how observing lists and observations are stored and the new method can't automatically sync up with SS5.

You can see the new features and comparison charts here:

http://www.skysafariastronomy.com

• Jon Isaacs and Rick-T137 like this

#9 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

I think the addition of the UCAC5 catalog will be reason enough for me to update. I don't have an iOS device - just an older MacBook Pro. I don't even take it out into the field with me - I use SkySafari more for planning and for fiddling around with during cloudy nights. The updated Plan It feature looks interesting!

#10 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

I'll have to see what features are offered in SkySafari 6 to see if an upgrade is something that interests me. I guess I'm past the point where I have to have the latest version of everything (10 years ago, that was certainly how I was!). smile.gif

If you frequently sync between the Mac and an iOS device, you might want to hold off until SS6 is available on Mac.  In SS6 we have totally redone how observing lists and observations are stored and the new method can't automatically sync up with SS5.

You can see the new features and comparison charts here:

http://www.skysafariastronomy.com

Bill, are we still able, with the new SS6 and redesigned logs and lists, able to export the nightly logs to a .csv file for use at the desktop, or for archiving purposes like we can now?  I import and maintain my complete logs on my desktop in SkyTools, and use the .csv file for copying the data into my logs.  I also keep a backup log set as an Excel spreadsheet in case I ever have to recover my software (computer or mobile).

• Rick-T137 likes this

#11 swsantos

swsantos

Messenger

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

Bill,

Downloading now on iPad, also looking forward to Android version as that is what I observe with outside. Will SS6 and or Live Sky allow synchronized used of both the iPad and Android databases such as what I observe using the Android showing up as observed on the iPad and conversely planning on the iPad inside showing up as a plan outside with the Android? I am assuming yes given the sync across all device feature... Is that leveraged through LiveSky only or does it work through iCloud or Google drive? Will custom and downloaded objects lists also sync? Version 5 couldn’t to the cross platform thing right? Not that it matters I am committed to 6 but just wondering if I missed that feature.

Hoping that SS6 still has those audio explanations and info  of objects, I discovered that in version 5 and love it.

I am push to and use that push to arrow thing to find objects. Any enhancements to that? Remember I had suggested to you a central reticle with an arrow that points to the object being pushed to as opposed to the arrow in the corner...

That web Live Sky looks intriguing! Is that basically a desktop version of SS6 running in a browser meaning I can use SS on Windows? If so will it know my equipment and lists etc as synced from my iPad and Android?

Thanks,

Steve

#12 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

Bill, are we still able, with the new SS6 and redesigned logs and lists, able to export the nightly logs to a .csv file for use at the desktop, or for archiving purposes like we can now?  I import and maintain my complete logs on my desktop in SkyTools, and use the .csv file for copying the data into my logs.  I also keep a backup log set as an Excel spreadsheet in case I ever have to recover my software (computer or mobile).

SS6 supports the Open Astronomy Log (OAL) format so you can export everything to that.  You can also export your observations to csv but I think right now it exports all observations.  I've asked the web guy to implement export of observations in a given Session (basically an observing night).  I don't know if SkyTools supports OAL, but if it did it would be perfect for you needs.

Some of the exporting options may only be possible on LiveSky (with the free account).

We are still finalizing the exporting of logs but we want to make you guys happy so just tell us what you need.

#13 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

Downloading now on iPad, also looking forward to Android version as that is what I observe with outside. Will SS6 and or Live Sky allow synchronized used of both the iPad and Android databases such as what I observe using the Android showing up as observed on the iPad and conversely planning on the iPad inside showing up as a plan outside with the Android? I am assuming yes given the sync across all device feature... Is that leveraged through LiveSky only or does it work through iCloud or Google drive? Will custom and downloaded objects lists also sync? Version 5 couldn’t to the cross platform thing right? Not that it matters I am committed to 6 but just wondering if I missed that feature.

Hoping that SS6 still has those audio explanations and info  of objects, I discovered that in version 5 and love it.
I am push to and use that push to arrow thing to find objects. Any enhancements to that? Remember I had suggested to you a central reticle with an arrow that points to the object being pushed to as opposed to the arrow in the corner...

That web Live Sky looks intriguing! Is that basically a desktop version of SS6 running in a browser meaning I can use SS on Windows? If so will it know my equipment and lists etc as synced from my iPad and Android?

Steve,

Yes, the Android, Mac and iOS version will all sync to the same account.  Plus and Pro will sync to the same account as well (so you do not *have* to buy Pro on all platforms if you don't want to.

We only sync to LiveSky.  Support for iCloud and Google Drive has been dropped as it didn't support the kind of functions we need going forward

Yes, we still have the Celestron audio files in SS6.

That modification of the push to arrow is still on our todo list.

We are excited about LiveSky.  You can manage all your data from there.  If you want  to make more extensive observing notes, you can now do so at you computer with a real keyboard.  This coming month we will finish getting SkySafari running in a browser in LiveSky.  It make not have every feature of the native SkySafari by the end of January but our goal is to push it in that direction.

• Astrosetz and swsantos like this

#14 swsantos

swsantos

Messenger

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

That sounds great. I always buy Pro on all platforms because I want to and to support the product and at the introductory price its a no brainer in my opinion.

Would love to have that central curser for push to, basically the central point but with an arrow along its circumference pointing to the next object. That way its always in the same place (the center screen when locked on a target), and its contained within an area on the screen we are looking at anyway as opposed to an arrow off in the corner where its hard to find sometimes.

So I have all my nice observing and equipment lists and settings in SS5 both on the Android and the iPad and I am not using cloud syncing but instead using local storage. I should probably turn on Google Drive sync now with both devices so that they are both reflect the same data. Then in order to get that information into SS6 I imagine I should sync my current SS5 from the iPad to iCloud then run SS6 utilizing iCloud on that to bring the information over to the iPad SS6, then once LiveSky is up I can push the information to the upcoming Android SS6, right?

That is > Workflow from SS5 iPad and Android to SS6 being sync both SS5 devices with Google Drive, then sync the iPad SS5 to iCloud, then transition to SS6 by pulling down that data from iCloud, wait for Android SS6 then sync both with LiveSky?

LiveSky will be the only way to get cross platform synching with SS6 because Google Drive will no longer be supported and Android does not play with iCloud, right?

#15 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:21 PM

SS6 supports the Open Astronomy Log (OAL) format so you can export everything to that.  You can also export your observations to csv but I think right now it exports all observations.  I've asked the web guy to implement export of observations in a given Session (basically an observing night).  I don't know if SkyTools supports OAL, but if it did it would be perfect for you needs.

Some of the exporting options may only be possible on LiveSky (with the free account).

We are still finalizing the exporting of logs but we want to make you guys happy so just tell us what you need.

Thanks Bill, sounds good that the capability and more will be there; I should be able to work with either..  SkyTools doesn't support directly from anything to my knowledge.  I manually copy and paste the notes in from the .csv export, which works fine for me at present; though I look forward to the day I could keep all my notes in SkySafari, for use in the field, without slowing it down too much.

#16 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

• Loc: AZ/WI

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:14 AM

Anyone else having trouble with LiveSky?  Doesn't recognize my verified email. Tried submitting a ticket, which shunts me over to the forums, which I can't login or signup for either.  Sheesh. 

#17 Garry

Garry

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Belleville, MI

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

Aleko,

No problem with LiveSky.

Received email from LiveSky Registrar & clicked on link to confirm and can log in to use.

Garry

#18 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

Anyone else having trouble with LiveSky?  Doesn't recognize my verified email. Tried submitting a ticket, which shunts me over to the forums, which I can't login or signup for either.  Sheesh. 

Sorry you are having problems with LiveSky.  That is not a piece I worked on much so I cannot say what the problem might be.

I would definitely submit a ticket.  It doesn't "shunt" you to the forums but does encourage you to post there.  For a question like this, I doubt you will get any community help from the forums.

I also don't understand why you can't login or signup for the forums.  What is getting in your way?

#19 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

That is > Workflow from SS5 iPad and Android to SS6 being sync both SS5 devices with Google Drive, then sync the iPad SS5 to iCloud, then transition to SS6 by pulling down that data from iCloud, wait for Android SS6 then sync both with LiveSky?

Note that when you sync two devices to iCloud or Google Drive, it doesn't merge changes in an observing list.  It will just accept the version that's most recently changed.

Personally, I would just take the files from iOS and put them in a directory on your computer.  Then see what you have on Android that is not there and move them as well.  You might look at the timestamps on the Android files and if you see any that are newer than the same ones from iOS and move those into the directory, replacing the older file.  Then add all the file to SS6 by using iTune File Sharing to copy them into the Documents directory.

https://support.simu...to-SkySafari-6-

Yes, it should all work by doing what you describe, but there are fewer things that could go wrong with my solution.

#20 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

Somethings i noticed: when chosing telescope in the equipment list, after tying to go back after adding a telescope, the application freezes (ipad mini 2012.) The only way to sort the problem out is to close application and re-open - selected scope shows up in list.

Why change where to select your scope from settings to "Observation" in the toolbar? Not very straightforward...

• MJB87 likes this

#21 Aleko

Aleko

Apollo

• Loc: AZ/WI

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

Sorry you are having problems with LiveSky.  That is not a piece I worked on much so I cannot say what the problem might be.

I would definitely submit a ticket.  It doesn't "shunt" you to the forums but does encourage you to post there.  For a question like this, I doubt you will get any community help from the forums.

I also don't understand why you can't login or signup for the forums.  What is getting in your way?

Thanks for the reply Bill. Odd that after receiving a verification from LiveSky, it now doesn't recognize my email address.  Then on the SC forum site, I followed the link sent to me for password reset. When changing the password and hitting the Reset button, nothing happens. Would be nice to see a direct email link for support in the app.  Busy now for the holidays, as I imagine you are to, so we'll just worry about it after the holidays.  Wishing you all the joys of the season!

Alex

#22 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:52 PM

Just upgraded to 6 Pro on my iPad Mini and have a question. Can I change the order of eyepieces/telescopes in the equipment lists? Seems I managed to do this in 5 Pro (or at least I think I did, maybe I reentered everything in proper order), but now I cannot figure it out on either version.

#23 GaryJCarter

GaryJCarter

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairview, Texas

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:23 AM

Just upgraded to 6 Pro on my iPad Mini and have a question. Can I change the order of eyepieces/telescopes in the equipment lists? Seems I managed to do this in 5 Pro (or at least I think I did, maybe I reentered everything in proper order), but now I cannot figure it out on either version.

To reorder the eyepieces or telescopes in your equipment list simply select the EDIT button at the top left of the equipment list screen. Note the band of horizontal lines that appear in place of the ">" symbol to the right of each eyepiece or telescope. Select the horizontal lines on the eyepiece or telescope of interest and slide it up or down to reorder it within the list.

#24 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

To reorder the eyepieces or telescopes in your equipment list simply select the EDIT button at the top left of the equipment list screen. Note the band of horizontal lines that appear in place of the ">" symbol to the right of each eyepiece or telescope. Select the horizontal lines on the eyepiece or telescope of interest and slide it up or down to reorder it within the list.

Excellent! Thank you, Gary. I knew there was a way. Happy New Year!

#25 wfr

wfr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

Downloaded SS6 Pro and I'm very pleased so far. 

I have some wishes for the planner:

- Multiple selections of constellations (checkboxes)

- Multiple selections of catalogues (checkboxes)

- apparent size as a sort criteria (as mentioned above)

- include/exclude of objects with unknown magnitudes

- a second sort critera (e.g. so you could sort first by constellation and then by magnitudes)

Thank you

Walter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics