•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 6 Pro

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#26 NEOhio

NEOhio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

When the Android version comes out, will it have the ability to add/remove buttons from the bottom menu? My understanding is that is an option with SS5 iOS version (but not with SS5 Android), and would be my number one request. With my ah, oversized, fingers, I keep accidentally hitting the "orbit" button which is near the time button, and literally get sent off into orbit :-)

• timmbottoni likes this

#27 Paul J

Paul J

Ranger 4

• Loc: Lanarkshire Scotland

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

I am hesitant to jump on the upgrade - even though the price will be good. I run SkySafari Pro 5 on my MacBook and it runs wonderfully. I remember "back in the day" using Starry Night Pro 5 on my old iBook and then jumping on Starry Night Pro 6 when it came out and being bitterly disappointed. It was so slow compared to 5, and the whole DSS sky display was rubbish for me (I'm sure it was a cool feature when they cooked it up, but for someone who is using the app to navigate the skies, having photo-realistic images of EVERYTHING isn't really a requirement). With some fiddling I made it run similarly to 5 - but it was still way slower. I went back to 5.

I'll have to see what features are offered in SkySafari 6 to see if an upgrade is something that interests me. I guess I'm past the point where I have to have the latest version of everything (10 years ago, that was certainly how I was!). smile.gif

If you frequently sync between the Mac and an iOS device, you might want to hold off until SS6 is available on Mac.  In SS6 we have totally redone how observing lists and observations are stored and the new method can't automatically sync up with SS5.

You can see the new features and comparison charts here:

http://www.skysafariastronomy.com

Bill

I have downloaded SS6 Pro to my iPad.  Am I able to use this single license to cover my iPhone as well?  If so how do I download the software without making an additional purchase?   

Paul.

#28 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

Paul,

If you search on the App Store for SS6 on your phone, you should be able to download it for no additional cost since you purchased it on your iPad...

• Steve Cox likes this

#29 Paul J

Paul J

Ranger 4

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Paul,

If you search on the App Store for SS6 on your phone, you should be able to download it for no additional cost since you purchased it on your iPad...

Hmmm, I was thinking this, however when I go to the App Store and select SS6 the only option is to pay.

#30 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

I have it on both iPad and iPhone. Like many other apps. 

Any purchase with the same iTunes user can be installed on any iOS device and you pay only once...

#31 Paul J

Paul J

Ranger 4

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

Any purchase with the same iTunes user can be installed on any iOS device and you pay only once...

Thanks, just pressed the touch to pay, and sure enough confirmed that it has already been purchased, busy downloading as we speak:-)

#32 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

Somethings i noticed: when chosing telescope in the equipment list, after tying to go back after adding a telescope, the application freezes (ipad mini 2012.) The only way to sort the problem out is to close application and re-open - selected scope shows up in list.

Why change where to select your scope from settings to "Observation" in the toolbar? Not very straightforward...

ChapSkins,

We haven't seen that problem before.  Could you please open a trouble ticket about it and we can straighten it out?

https://support.simu...us/requests/new

Be sure to say what scope yo are trying to pick, if that makes any difference.

We had SkySafari 6 in beta testing for about 1 month.  Several testers suggested moving the Equipment to the Observe popup from the Settings.  It is a bit faster to get to that way.

#33 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

One point to note: you don’t just choose your scope, but also eyepieces to see the FOV on screen. 

When you observe, you typically swap eyepieces and want to highlight different FOVs during the night. 

Hence it makes sense for it to be under the “observe” tab...

#34 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

Downloaded SS6 Pro and I'm very pleased so far. 

I have some wishes for the planner:

- Multiple selections of constellations (checkboxes)

- Multiple selections of catalogues (checkboxes)

- apparent size as a sort criteria (as mentioned above)

- include/exclude of objects with unknown magnitudes

- a second sort critera (e.g. so you could sort first by constellation and then by magnitudes)

Thank you

Walter

Walter,

Some of your suggestions seem to apply to the planner and some to the sorting of lists.  They are two separate things.

Check boxes are not terribly practical on iOS when you have 88 choices (for constellations) or the large number of catalogs we have.  But I will consider the best way to deal with this.  However you can add multiple catalogs in the Planner's catalog field, separated by commas (see the example).

What I'd like to do before too long is have a way to merge observing lists.  This would allow you to easily make a couple of list based upon different criterial and then merge them together.

In the Planner, if you don't set a magnitude, it will automatically include objects without a magnitude.  If you specify an upper magnitude it will exclude them.  Isn't that what you want?

Not sure how to implement a second sort criteria given the interface, but I can giving it some thought.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#35 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:34 PM

When the Android version comes out, will it have the ability to add/remove buttons from the bottom menu? My understanding is that is an option with SS5 iOS version (but not with SS5 Android), and would be my number one request. With my ah, oversized, fingers, I keep accidentally hitting the "orbit" button which is near the time button, and literally get sent off into orbit :-)

No, iOS doesn't allow you to remove buttons, just reorder them.  We don't currently have plans to allow button removal.

You will be happy to learn that in SS6, Orbit is now under the "Selection" popup menu in the toolbar.  It will make it much harder to accidentally hit.

• Jon Isaacs, Knasal and NEOhio like this

#36 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

Thanks, just pressed the touch to pay, and sure enough confirmed that it has already been purchased, busy downloading as we speak:-)

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that.  Seems like a glitch on the App Store.  After purchasing it on one platform you should just see the download icon on another platform.  For some reason Apple is still showing the "Purchase" button.  Unfortunately, we have no control over this.

#37 wfr

wfr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

In the Planner, if you don't set a magnitude, it will automatically include objects without a magnitude.  If you specify an upper magnitude it will exclude them.  Isn't that what you want?

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your reply. 

Yes, I can include these objects or I can completely ignore them. But I cannot create a list e.g. select objects to 12th mag AND include objects with unknown magnitudes. See what I mean?

Another idea is to show objects with unknown magnitudes on the map (as an option to avoid cluttering) without using the search dialog. Unless you know the catalogue number, there is no chance to detect them - this would be great to see their locations on the map

1) for identification purposes - imagine you look at a photo and want to identify that faint nebulae nearby NGC XY

2) for planning purposes

Thanks again

Walter

#38 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Yes, I can include these objects or I can completely ignore them. But I cannot create a list e.g. select objects to 12th mag AND include objects with unknown magnitudes. See what I mean?

Any objects with unknown magnitudes are going to be substantially fainter than 12th magnitude.  These are generally obscure, faint, large objects.  I'm not sure why you would want these in the same list.  But as I said, I'd like to add functionality to merge lists which would get you want you want.

Another idea is to show objects with unknown magnitudes on the map (as an option to avoid cluttering) without using the search dialog. Unless you know the catalogue number, there is no chance to detect them - this would be great to see their locations on the map
1) for identification purposes - imagine you look at a photo and want to identify that faint nebulae nearby NGC XY
2) for planning purposes

You're in luck because this was added in SS6.  If you push the Deep Sky magnitude slider all the way to the right, you will get "Unlimited" magnitude and objects without a visual magnitude will be shown on the screen.

• Darren Bly likes this

#39 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

I see dark nebulae are still squares and rectangles.  I'll continue to keep that object type turned off.

Mike

#40 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

I might have missed this but when will the 6 Pro and Plus be out for Android? Thanks...

#41 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:41 AM

The Android version will probably not be out until May, 2018.  We are doing the Mac version next and also have another side project that needs to come first.  We are a small team (2-3 people) and there are just not enough hours in the day.  Sorry.

• timmbottoni, Sean Wood, Roger Corbett and 1 other like this

#42 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

Copy ... understood! I appreciate your interaction and answering the numerous questions that come your way ... thanks!!
  • Astrosetz, btschumy and Sean Wood like this

#43 swsantos

swsantos

Messenger

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:02 AM

Bill,

I have successfully used Google drive to sync my SS5 Android data to it since it’s the Android that has the latest data as I use it to observe I did that first then connected the iPad to the Google drive now it also sees the latest data.

Two questions:

if I were to change one of the devices to local storage would it revert to what was originally locally stored on it or does the device pull down what’s stored in Google drive back into its local storage? I would like the local storage to mirror what’s on Google drive.

If not is there a way to copy the Google drive data back onto the device’s local storage?

Thanks

#44 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

1. When you switch to local storage it leaves what you already have there.  It just stops syncing it with Google Drive.  Nothing reverts.

2. You can always re-enable Google Drive syncing to get any changes that are present on Google Drive.  It will also push local changes back to Google Drive.  If the same file was changed in both places the last one edited is used.  There is no merging of changes.

#45 lphilpot

lphilpot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

The Android version will probably not be out until May, 2018.  We are doing the Mac version next and also have another side project that needs to come first.  We are a small team (2-3 people) and there are just not enough hours in the day.  Sorry.

Maybe in time for TSP?  :D

Of course, since TSP is early May, that would mean April, so....   :)

#46 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:49 PM

Len,

We just can’t predict at this time.  Rest assured that we want to get it out as soon as possible.

#47 lphilpot

lphilpot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

Understand completely. Just couldn't resist the comment.  :)

#48 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Vanguard

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

I use SkySafari so often and in so many different ways that I have often felt like leaving a tip.  The $20 upgrade price for Pro would have been worth it to me even if no features were added!

While there has been little added to SS6 that interests me, the UCAC5 star catalog is a significant upgrade, and tilt-to-slew is anything but a gimmick.  I do a lot of solar observing under a dark hood, and fishing around for buttons on a hand control is no fun.  Simply tilting a phone to pan around the sun's disc is a big improvement over using a hand control.

Tom

• Joe Bergeron, btschumy, Jon Isaacs and 2 others like this

#49 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

I use SkySafari so often and in so many different ways that I have often felt like leaving a tip.  The $20 upgrade price for Pro would have been worth it to me even if no features were added!

:waytogo:

I agree.. The full $40 price will buy one decent Plossl..  SkySafari is worth a set of eyepieces. 

Jon

• btschumy, Sarkikos, RASutton and 4 others like this

#50 thomqos

thomqos

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:23 AM

I only started using SS5 recently & then upgraded to SS6 as soon as it came out, so I'm not the best one to comment on the delta feature set.  But I think it's such a fantastic app...!  I can't stop playing with it & it's made my paper charts all but obsolete at the eyepiece!  (I've been stuck in the 20th century for too long).

It maybe a simple feature, but I really like how you can more easily hide the menu bar as compared to SS5.

I've also noticed that the Mars feature images are now in noticeably higher resolution.

One thing though; I noticed though that the star named 'ALV 3' in the flame nebula (NGC2024) doesn't actually appear - either in the actual sky, or on Sky Atlas / Uranometria.......   OK, so that's at least 1 error in 25 million ;-)  Weird.  

And I too have this exact same problem...

Somethings i noticed: when chosing telescope in the equipment list, after tying to go back after adding a telescope, the application freezes (ipad mini 2012.) The only way to sort the problem out is to close application and re-open - selected scope shows up in list.

Why change where to select your scope from settings to "Observation" in the toolbar? Not very straightforward...

ChapSkins,

We haven't seen that problem before.  Could you please open a trouble ticket about it and we can straighten it out?

https://support.simu...us/requests/new

Be sure to say what scope yo are trying to pick, if that makes any difference.

We had SkySafari 6 in beta testing for about 1 month.  Several testers suggested moving the Equipment to the Observe popup from the Settings.  It is a bit faster to get to that way.

Edited by thomqos, 03 January 2018 - 06:26 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics