•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 6 Pro

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#51 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

One thing though; I noticed though that the star named 'ALV 3' in the flame nebula (NGC2024) doesn't actually appear - either in the actual sky, or on Sky Atlas / Uranometria.......   OK, so that's at least 1 error in 25 million ;-)  Weird.

That is possibly an error in the Washington Double Star Catalog.  ALV is the discovery code.  We are correctly plotting the star as listed in the WDS catalog.  If you do a search in the VizieR database it dos have the star at those coordinates.

But I agree that if you look at the DSS image for it there does not appear to be a star there.  We just have to take the data as it appears in the catalogs.  We cannot get in the habit if tracking down errors and "correcting" them.

And I too have this exact same problem...

As I said to ChapSkins, we haven't see this.  As far as I know he didn't open a trouble ticket with more information.  If you can tell us how to reproduce this I'd love to fix it.  Does it happen every time for you or are there specific circumstances?  Are you also on an iPad mini?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#52 ChrisGTS

ChrisGTS

Vostok 1

• Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

Bill,

As you know, I am huge Sky Safari fan and use it (version 5) with SkyBT to control my telescopes.  I am definitely interested in version 6 once you release it for Android, but I have two questions. 

(1) Right now, I plan my observing sessions and keep my observing logs using Astroplanner, which imports and exports the SkySafari observing list format reasonably well.  Are any of the changes in SS6 going to impact that file format, or how it is used for either observing lists or observation logs?

(2) I noticed recently when I bought a new telescope with an Orion Synscan controller that there is no option for my tablet to supply time and location data to the hand controller.  Is that a limitation on the Synscan hand controller, or something that may be possible with SS6?  That is one of the great features of SS5 that I really enjoyed with my Celestron mounts, and I miss it with the Synscan controller.

Thanks for being here and answering everyone's questions.

Chris

#53 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

Chris,

1. You will still be able to export observing lists from Astroplanner and import into SkySafari.  Can Astroplanner read a .skylist file and import observations made in SkySafari?  I don't think so, but if it did this will no longer work with SS6.  Observations are no longer kept with the observing lists themselves.

2. Synta's protocol doesn't support the external set time or set location commands.  We've complained to Orion and SkyWatcher about that for 5 years.  Sorry.

#54 ChrisGTS

ChrisGTS

Vostok 1

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

Chris,

1. You will still be able to export observing lists from Astroplanner and import into SkySafari.  Can Astroplanner read a .skylist file and import observations made in SkySafari?  I don't think so, but if it did this will no longer work with SS6.  Observations are no longer kept with the observing lists themselves.

2. Synta's protocol doesn't support the external set time or set location commands.  We've complained to Orion and SkyWatcher about that for 5 years.  Sorry.

Thanks for the response.  Currently, Astroplanner does read .skylist files and import observations.  Under SS6, will the observations be able to be exported in some other format?  Or can they live only in the SS6 database?

Edited by ChrisGTS, 04 January 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#55 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:17 AM

Unfortunately they now export in the Openastronomy (OAL) format which is not supported by much active software at all. Really only DSP of the main players support it and the others have not showed much interest in it.

Owen

#56 ChrisGTS

ChrisGTS

Vostok 1

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

Unfortunately they now export in the Openastronomy (OAL) format which is not supported by much active software at all. Really only DSP of the main players support it and the others have not showed much interest in it.

Owen

Unfortunately, this is probably going to be a deal breaker for me on upgrading to SS6.  Astroplanner supports a large number of import/export formats, including plain text, but it doesn't support OAL.  Bill, is there any chance for another export format beyond OAL?  If so, that would make it a no-brainer to move to SS6 when you release it for Android.

Chris

• Steve Cox likes this

#57 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5°N,81.5°W

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

I don’t really have a practical observing need, but just for grins, I placed the in-app purchase for the expanded star and galaxy databases.  I don’t see any difference in the level of detail in the app on my iPad, where I made the purchase, and my iPhone, where I haven’t selected the “restore purchase” feature to download the expanded databases.  Anyone know what I should be seeing different?

#58 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the response.  Currently, Astroplanner does read .skylist files and import observations.  Under SS6, will the observations be able to be exported in some other format?  Or can they live only in the SS6 database?

You can still import/export to the .skylist format but it is a pure list without your observations.  Observations can be exported to OAL format or you can export as a CSV file.

• bsavoie and Steve Cox like this

#59 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

I don’t really have a practical observing need, but just for grins, I placed the in-app purchase for the expanded star and galaxy databases.  I don’t see any difference in the level of detail in the app on my iPad, where I made the purchase, and my iPhone, where I haven’t selected the “restore purchase” feature to download the expanded databases.  Anyone know what I should be seeing different?

You should see quite a few more stars as you zoom in (make sure your mag limits aren't preventing this).  Likewise for PGC galaxies.

• bsavoie likes this

#60 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

You should see quite a few more stars as you zoom in (make sure your mag limits aren't preventing this).  Likewise for PGC galaxies.

I zoomed in as far as I could go and still see three stars in the dense Milky Way region of Sagittarius on both devices with the magnitude slider all the way to the right.  They were the same three stars.  Is it possible that the phone downloaded the extra data automatically since it is on the same account as the iPad?  Are there examples of a particular star and galaxy that I could search for that are in the expanded database as a way to verify that the databases are included?

#61 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

If you see a bunch of stars deeper than 15th mag then you have the extended star catalog.  If you see PGC galaxies dimmer than 17.1 mag then you have the extended PGC catalog.

I actually don't know how Apple handles that.  If you by an app on one device it will automatically install it on another if you have that option set.  Not sure if this applies to in-app purchases.  It is entirely possible.

#62 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

If you see a bunch of stars deeper than 15th mag then you have the extended star catalog.  If you see PGC galaxies dimmer than 17.1 mag then you have the extended PGC catalog.

I actually don't know how Apple handles that.  If you by an app on one device it will automatically install it on another if you have that option set.  Not sure if this applies to in-app purchases.  It is entirely possible.

After doing a restore purchases on the iPad, I have the stars deeper than 15th magnitude and galaxies deeper than 17.1. Not sure why it didn’t take at the time of the original purchase.  At that time the app had indicated that the downloads had completed.

#63 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

After solving the problem on the iPad, I tried a “restore purchases” on the iPhone, which was my baseline without the expanded databases.  As expected, it shows the expanded database objects now too.

Thanks, Bill.

#64 ChrisGTS

ChrisGTS

Vostok 1

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

You can still import/export to the .skylist format but it is a pure list without your observations.  Observations can be exported to OAL format or you can export as a CSV file.

Bill, thanks again.  If observations can be exported in CSV format, I believe that will work.  I can't try it myself, since the Android version of SS5 does not do a CSV export.  But maybe I can get a friend to export some observations in CSV and I can test it that way.

#65 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

The CSV format of observations in SS6 will be somewhat different from that in SS6.  Nonetheless the information should be there.

#66 ChrisGTS

ChrisGTS

Vostok 1

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

OK, thanks very much.

#67 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

I need some help. When I search for IC 2156 and center it, there it is. When I select another object on the screen, 2156 disappears and nothing I do can make it display again. Immediately adjacent is IC 2157 , which stays visible under normal useful magnitude and name intensity settings.

How can I get it to not disappear, I mean the broken circle indicating an open cluster and the name.

Thanks
Ray

#68 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

Ray,

The selected object is always displayed independent of your magnitude settings.  Non-selected object are only displayed on-screen if lies in the magnitude range for deep sky objects.  I assume that given your FOV, the mag limit is brighter than IC 2156.

If you have a set of objects that you always want to see on screen independent of FOV or magnitude, add them to an observing list and highlight the list.

• Jon Isaacs and bsavoie like this

#69 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

After all that trouble to search for it and center, I don’t like that it disappears when a different object in the fov is selected.

I got it to display once I set the deep sky magnitude to “unlimited”

May I suggest a button to “show objects with unknown magnitude” or “show all objects on this catalog” regardless of other settings?

Thanks for your quick response

#70 corax

corax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Davis, CA

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

May I suggest a button to “show objects with unknown magnitude” or “show all objects on this catalog” regardless of other settings?

How is what you're asking for different from what you've already found? (Ie, setting magnitude to "unlimited".)

#71 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

After all that trouble to search for it and center, I don’t like that it disappears when a different object in the fov is selected.

Thanks for your quick response

As corax indicated, setting the deep sky mag limit to "unlimited" will show everything, even objects without a visual magnitude.  Be forewarned that this will show a lot of objects.

You might also need to enable "Show At Wide Fields" if you are zoomed out and want to see them.

Also recall that there is a History list in Search.  It will have a list of the last 50 objects you selected.  Makes it easier to get back to a previous object.

#72 Relic

Relic

Sputnik

• Loc: Beaumont, CA.

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

I have been a casual observer a little bit over 2 years now and only a year with my Z10 mostly from a yellow zone. I use SS5 Pro and very much enjoy it. It has been very helpful, so naturally I upgraded to SS6 Pro. 

But I have observations about objects and observing lists.

When I pick an object in SS5 the observations will show what lists it is associated with that I have and a check mark or not depending if I have marked it seen. Real intuitive, at least for me.

In SS6 Pro when looking up the observation info it will show " 0 observations" because I have not marked seen.  Which I understand.

But yet it does not tell me that it is assigned to 2 of my observing lists.

Also when I did pick an object that was in my Globular list but not seen, I looked at the info then looked to see if had been in another list, I dont know but because I was looking into the future a the objects to see they would be in my view able sky, SS6 Pro created an observation of it. Even  though it has not happened yet.

Maybe  I just need to spend more time with it.

Thanks for reading

#73 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

Relic,

I have already responded in a similar post you made in our Community forums.  I will repost it hear for others:

SS6 should also show a checkmark next to an object in an observing list if it has been observed (and the observation refers to that observing list).  There has been no change there.

In SS6, observations are no longer *part* of an observing list.  They exist independently.  You can select an object and make an observation even if the object is not in any observing list.  However, you can associate an observation with a list.  This happens automatically if you tap an object in a list and chose "Edit/Create Observation".  In that case you should see a checkmark next to the object in the list, just like SS5.

A given observation can only be assigned to a single observing list.  If you look at a given observation, there is an "Observing List" field that can be set.  You should look to see if that is set how youexpect.
Did these observing lists and observations get imported from SS5?  We tested this pretty thoroughly and it should take an entry in an SS5 list create a new observation and associate it with the list in SS6.
If you choose Edit/Create Observation, it *will* create an observation for it.  Observations in SS6 are *always* seen.  There is not an "Observed" checkbox like there was in SS5.

• Relic likes this

#74 Relic

Relic

Sputnik

• Loc: Beaumont, CA.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

Thank you Bill

#75 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:32 AM

Where is the advanced search feature? 

How do I get rid of that obscene Caldwell list under search? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics