•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 6 Pro

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#76 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:44 AM

:funny:

Ray, the Caldwell List is the British equivalent (a matter of national pride you see) the the Messier List (Messier being French and all).

#77 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:10 AM

I have nothing against it, but I don't want it. 

I was expecting under search , choices like :

double stars, globulars, open clusters, planetary nebulae etc, same headings like Roger Sinott used in Sky Catalog 2000 . The normal deep sky things people look at. 

There's a tab for "Best Deep Sky"

Please let me decide what's best, thank you. I just need a plain 'ol Deep Sky tab. 

Then the "info" button is gone. Now I've spent years selecting an object and hitting the info button. I like that. 

Now all of a sudden , the info button's  gone (it's under the Selection button, need two taps where it used to be one. ) 

• Roger Corbett likes this

#78 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

Advanced Search is now called "Planner" and is under the Observing popup menu.

You can't get rid of the Caldwell list.

• Jon Isaacs and R.bak like this

#79 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

You can't get rid of the Caldwell list.

And after you promised me..  I'm not upgrading to 6..

:lol:

Of course I will upgrade when the Android version arrives.. :ubetcha:

Jon

#80 Organic Astrochemist

Organic Astrochemist

Apollo

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

What are the search fields for planner?
Can you still search by size and double star separation?
Can you search stars by spectral type or “spectrum” or color or temperature?

#81 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

The Planner still has the same search fields as the old Advanced Search with the addition of time fields.  If you specify a time window then the Alt and Az must be in the Alt/Az ranges sometime during the time window.

Nope, you can't search by spectral type.

#82 Organic Astrochemist

Organic Astrochemist

Apollo

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

Thank you.
Great software.

#83 dotnet

dotnet

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

We only sync to LiveSky.  Support for iCloud and Google Drive has been dropped as it didn't support the kind of functions we need going forward

I'm sorry to hear that, it means that SS5 will be the final version for me, on both iOS and macOS.

#84 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:03 AM

@ dotnet,

I am curious why you are not happy with LiveSky. 

At some point, I had SS5 installed on iPad, iPhone, Android tablet and Chromebook with Android compatibility. First two devices would communicate. Send two devices would communicate. Android with iOS would not communicate due to different syncing services.

Livesky is platform independent - which is a benefit to anybody who is using different platforms for syncing information. 

@ Bill,

My trial period is almost over (I participated in Beta Testing hence from the date so my trial period started from back then). When are you coming out with pricing options?

• Astrosetz and R.bak like this

#85 dotnet

dotnet

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

@ dotnet,

I am curious why you are not happy with LiveSky. 

At some point, I had SS5 installed on iPad, iPhone, Android tablet and Chromebook with Android compatibility. First two devices would communicate. Send two devices would communicate. Android with iOS would not communicate due to different syncing services.

Livesky is platform independent - which is a benefit to anybody who is using different platforms for syncing information. 

With SS5 came iCloud syncing, and it solved all my syncing needs. I can access and edit my observing lists, equipment settings and locations from anywhere. I don't have Android devices or Chromebooks, and I need another app-specific subscription like a finger in the eye. And I don't want to rely on a team of three to maintain the backend infrastructure.

I'm old enough to know that all good things come to an end eventually, so I'm not overly upset about this. SS5 will serve me well for some time to come (gotta remember to back up the iOS version before it disappears from the App Store), and eventually something entirely new and mind-blowing will come along.

Edited by dotnet, 18 January 2018 - 08:08 AM.

#86 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

Dotnet, 

I am not questioning your choice. It's just that the same syncing takes place, with a different medium. Still the same thing and you can even choose only to make an account at LiveSky and never access it in a browser or pay for it, just use it as a sync login account.

While I do understand your comment about 3 maintaining the infrastructure, they are the same 3 that designed the software, so if they stop, both the software and LiveSky will eventually come to pass...

Sacrificing something or other to the weather gods for this never to happen!

#87 dotnet

dotnet

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:08 AM

they are the same 3 that designed the software, so if they stop, both the software and LiveSky will eventually come to pass

If they all decide to pursue new careers as professional surfers in Bali the software on my devices will continue to function but the cloud service will disappear.

#88 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

At some point though without updating, the app will not work with new versions of iOS or Android anyway.

SS5 already has a ton of features. Yeah, you lose on some stuff in SS6, but if you are happy with SS5, power to you :)

#89 NEOhio

NEOhio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

I may have missed it, but can someone explain what LiveSky is? I assume it is an astronomy-specific cloud locker of some sort, but if I type in "livesky.com" as the browser URL I only get an unhelpful login screen, rather than the usual "about" write-up that most web-based service sites provide. Apparently from posts above you can set up a free LiveSky account which is sufficient to support a SS6 cloud locker? What does LiveSky provide that makes it better than using iCloud or Google Drive for storing SS settings?

• Jon Isaacs and Steve Cox like this

#90 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

Syncing is now platform independent. Also, there are features supported in the portal that are not available by syncing.

In the paid version, you will have SS available through your browser and LiveSky. Also the ability to edit all information (which makes it much easier than typing stuff on handheld devices).

At least, that’s the stuff I care about ;)

• btschumy likes this

#91 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

Hey, I wanted to let you guys know we just released SkySafari 6.0.3 for iOS.  

I have added the ability to hide toolbar buttons you don't want in addition to the already existing ability to reorder them.  As a nice side effect of this I now allow you to have the Center and Info buttons back on the main toolbar if you really want them there.  They are hidden by default but if you go into Settings > Appearance & Behavior > Configure Toolbar, you can show them.  Hopefully this will make everyone happy.

I will be adding this to Android as well when that is released.

Please note that showing them on the main toolbar *does not* remove them from the Selection menu. This is not a bug.

• Cyrano, Astrosetz, Carl Kolchak and 7 others like this

#92 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Vanguard

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:32 PM

I have added the ability to hide toolbar buttons you don't want in addition to the already existing ability to reorder them.  As a nice side effect of this I now allow you to have the Center and Info buttons back on the main toolbar if you really want them there.  They are hidden by default but if you go into Settings > Appearance & Behavior > Configure Toolbar, you can show them.  Hopefully this will make everyone happy.

Please note that showing them on the main toolbar *does not* remove them from the Selection menu. This is not a bug.

Great!  I probably should have commented on this when I was Beta testing, as I've come to really dislike the two-gesture method of centering and getting info in 6 very quickly.

Now, why can't I figure out how to upgrade?  When I go to the App store, it just wants me to "Open" my existing app rather than get 6.0.3.  Thanks.

Tom

#93 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

Tom,

There is an Updates tab in the store.  That is where you can initiate the update if you don't have it set to automatically update.  It was only released about an hour ago and the update may not show for everyone yet.

#94 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5°N,81.5°W

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

like-button.jpg

Excellent update to the toolbar!  Love the customizations.

Had too restore the in-app purchases on one of my two devices, as mentioned in the release notes.  Hope that bug is fixed for good, like the release notes say.

#95 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Vanguard

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

Tom,

There is an Updates tab in the store.  That is where you can initiate the update if you don't have it set to automatically update.  It was only released about an hour ago and the update may not show for everyone yet.

I went to Updates, which shows Version 6.0.3, and has an "Open" button, so apparently it's automatically updating.

In Settings-Appearance & Behavior is the usual "Toolbar Icon Order," but it looks identical to what was already in SS5.  How does one delete or add buttons?

Tom

Edited by Tom Polakis, 22 January 2018 - 08:24 PM.

#96 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

Tom,

I went to Updates, which shows Version 6.0.3, and has an "Open" button, so apparently it's automatically updating.

In Settings-Appearance & Behavior is the usual "Toolbar Icon Order," but it looks identical to what was already in SS5.  How does one delete or add buttons?

Tom

On my just updated version I went to:

Settings / Appearance & Behavior / Configure Tool Bar /

To the right of each menu item is a green slide switch to turn that particular tool on and off.  There is a “Reorder” button at the upper right-hand corner that allows you to enter a different mode to rearrange the tool order.

#97 NEOhio

NEOhio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

This will be a big improvement, thanks! A lot of changes have been directed to "complex" features, which I fully understand as there seem to be a lot of power-SS users out there. But some of us use SS in a pretty basic mode, just as an electronic sky atlas. Last couple updates, the toolbar has gotten unwieldy for my fat fingers, and I find myself constantly hitting the wrong tool. I suspect my customization will leave only the time button, search button, info button, and maybe the center button on the toolbar. 

#98 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Vanguard

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

Tom,

Tom

To the right of each menu item is a green slide switch to turn that particular tool on and off.  There is a “Reorder” button at the upper right-hand corner that allows you to enter a different mode to rearrange the tool order.

I just noticed that I'm on version 6.0.1.  When I go into Updates in the App Store, it shows 6.0.3, but the only option of the button is Open, which just launches the existing version 6.0.1.  So I can't upgrade to 6.0.3?

Tom

Edited by Tom Polakis, 22 January 2018 - 09:46 PM.

#99 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

Tom,

Tom

I just noticed that I'm on version 6.0.1.  When I go into Updates in the App Store, it shows 6.0.3, but the only option of the button is Open, which just launches the existing version 6.0.1.  So I can't upgrade to 6.0.3?

Tom

Probably just a glitch.  Try force-quitting the AppStore app and relaunch it, or perhaps restart your device.

#100 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:25 AM

Tom,

Tom

Tom

Probably just a glitch.  Try force-quitting the AppStore app and relaunch it, or perhaps restart your device.

OK, I had to update the operating system (something I typically put off for weeks), and then it worked.

This configuring the toolbar to only those that I use is an excellent upgrade!

Tom

Edited by Tom Polakis, 23 January 2018 - 01:39 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics