•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 6 Pro

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#101 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

Glad you guys like the update.  

Tom, not sure why you didn't initially see the update, but that is an Apple problem, not ours.  My guess is you didn't need to do an iOS update and that a reboot would have cleared the problem.

#102 corax

corax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Davis, CA

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

Thank you for these latest upgrades -- this will really simplify things at the scope. 

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but when messing around with the new menu options, I also noticed the arrows to show/hide the menu altogether -- great feature.

On a 5-star scale, SkySafari 6 Pro gets 11.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#103 pjglad

pjglad

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

SkySafari 6 Pro Rollout Question - is Android or MacOS next?

#104 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5°N,81.5°W

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

SkySafari 6 Pro Rollout Question - is Android or MacOS next?

Earlier in this thread, I think Bill mentioned that macOS is next, followed by Android.

#105 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Vanguard

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

Glad you guys like the update.  

Tom, not sure why you didn't initially see the update, but that is an Apple problem, not ours.  My guess is you didn't need to do an iOS update and that a reboot would have cleared the problem.

Agreed that it's Apple's fault, but I tried full shutdown/reboots to no avail.

Tom

#106 Matt Lindsey

Matt Lindsey

Viking 1

• Loc: Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Bill--great update.  Love hiding the unused menu tabs.

• btschumy likes this

#107 olivier

olivier

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium - Leuven

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Hello, I'm using now a few months this great software (still on 5 Pro). I have also the SkiFi and it works just great. I love it.

I'd like to propose a few improvements that would be very helpful for deepsky observers - if they already have been proposed sorry then for asking it again:

- when you zoom in and out the star and DSO Mag limit is changing too. Would it be possible to freeze this limit (in settings you would be asked to change or free the limits)? When I'm zooming in, the Mag limit might increase to limits I can't see anyway with my scope, so I need to go back on the upper left corner to set it back to a lower number.

- would it be possible to add the "contrast reserve" (CR) to any deepsky object (and display the CR for each object on the chart). Contrast reserve is a measure that tells you how easy or difficult it is to see a certain object (depending on its apparant size) with a given telescope and under a given NELM (or SQM). Under 0 it means it is not visible. A 1 or higher means it's very easy. So it's a calculated field based. Eye and Telescope and Deepskylog.org are using this on their charts and lists. We all know that some objects, although it has a high magnitude (M33 for example) is nevertheless difficult to see. Some objects even bright will not be visible in light polluted sky. By displaying CR it in the charts you would see if the object is visible or not visible with your telescope under a sky of a given NELM. 

- Another one - would it be possible to add a recording tool linked to the object you're centered on. Imagine you're centered on NGC 891, by pressing on a button it records what you're saying (ie your observation) and it add it as an observation linked to the object. A further improvement of this would be that the recorded speech is also translated to text 

This would be my wishlist for an already fantastic tool - I used to observe with printed finder charts, that time is for sure history. If I could avoid taking notes (so the recording tool) and see on the map if objects are easy or difficult to see (or not even visible) this would be another major step forward.

Thanks! 

Edited by olivier, 24 February 2018 - 10:24 AM.

#108 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

- when you zoom in and out the star and DSO Mag limit is changing too. Would it be possible to freeze this limit (in settings you would be asked to change or free the limits)? When I'm zooming in, the Mag limit might increase to limits I can't see anyway with my scope, so I need to go back on the left upper corner to set it back to a lower number.

This has been discussed before and it may be implemented in SkySafari 6.  As a recall, Bill said it would be.  I am on the Android side so I don't know about 6.. 

Jon

#109 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

Olivier,

Thanks for you suggestions.  I have some comments below:

- when you zoom in and out the star and DSO Mag limit is changing too. Would it be possible to freeze this limit (in settings you would be asked to change or free the limits)? When I'm zooming in, the Mag limit might increase to limits I can't see anyway with my scope, so I need to go back on the upper left corner to set it back to a lower number.

In SS6 I added a setting called "Never Show Fainter Than".  This allows you to specify the faintest magnitude we should ever show.  It eliminates the need to tweak you limiting magnitude as you zoom way in.  This is available for both stars and DSOs.  I think this

- would it be possible to add the "contrast reserve" (CR) to any deepsky object (and display the CR for each object on the chart).

I can certainly look into how this is calculated and see if we can add it.

- Another one - would it be possible to add a recording tool linked to the object you're centered on.

iOS (and I think Android) already has a "Speech to Text" option.  When you are in the Observation comments field, press the microphone icon on the keyboard.  You can then talk and it will be translated to text.  I think this may require internet access to really work though.  Possibly we can add a record button that will record your voice for later transcription when you are back to internet.

#110 olivier

olivier

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium - Leuven

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  

- Another one - would it be possible to add a recording tool linked to the object you're centered on.

iOS (and I think Android) already has a "Speech to Text" option.  When you are in the Observation comments field, press the microphone icon on the keyboard.  You can then talk and it will be translated to text.  I think this may require internet access to really work though.  Possibly we can add a record button that will record your voice for later transcription when you are back to internet.

Does that work on SF 5 Pro? I tried to look for that but did not find it. 

Thanks!

#111 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Yes, it should.  It is an OS (iOS or Android) feature, not a SkySafari feature.

#112 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

Bill:

In the interest of making Sky Safari the do everything, don't need anything else platform.. 

How about Text to Speech in the context of proper pronunciation of Star Names and Constellation names.  The Celestron Audio provides pronunciation of the Constellation names and some star names but I would be most helpful for folks like me who have no real idea of how some the names are properly pronounced.

Jon

#113 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Jon,

Part of the problem is there is no definitive "correct" pronunciation.  Heck, there are even alternate spellings for many stars.  There are probably 3 or 4 pronunciations of Betelgeuse depending upon what country you are from.  Maybe we could take a stab at that, but I feel it is a losing battle.  I'm sure someone would tell us, "Oh in the original Greek that would be correctly pronounced "Blah-dee-blah".

Here is one source of pronunciations, but I have no idea how definitive it is:

https://www.space.co...tion-guide.html

Bill

• timmbottoni likes this

#114 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Bill:

My interest was spurred by a thread on pronunciation in the general observing forum. 

https://www.cloudyni...pronunciations/

Michael Covington who is a linguist and Tony Flanders who authored a Sky and Telescope webpage with constellation name audio pronunciation files share a similar reluctance to yours .

Myself,  i am not looking for the definitive pronunciation,  just something that i can learn so that i can open my mouth and not sound like a total dork.  I read the star names and recognize them but not having heard them,  my mental pronunciations often are horribly in error with non existing syllables added. 

The Celestron Audio manages it for the constellations and a few stars. . More of the same is all that's needed .

Jon

#115 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

• Loc: Grove City, Ohio

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:46 PM

Hi Bill, Not sure if this has come up before, but while looking at the Venus-Mercury pairing tonight, I noticed on SS6 IOS that the planets have a circular "haze" around them. I looked at my settings ate have Atmospheres disabled. I tried various settings but nothing removed this. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Mark

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_771EF70A7135-1.jpeg

#116 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

Mark,

I think it has always been this way (at least SS5 does the same thing).  You only see this when either:

1. The bright object is drawn behind a translucent horizon

2. The bright object is drawn low in the sky with SkyGlow turned on.

It is some OpenGL interaction when drawing the bright star over a background texture.  I will mention this to Tim who does the OpenGL code, but I doubt this is easily fixable.

As an aside, why do some of the labels in your screen shot have lines under them.  Is there some iOS setting that causes that?

#117 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Cosmos

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

...1. The bright object is drawn behind a translucent horizon

2. The bright object is drawn low in the sky with SkyGlow turned on...

...As an aside, why do some of the labels in your screen shot have lines under them.  Is there some iOS setting that causes that?

I notice the same behavior when SkyGlow is turned on (turned off, the circular pattern disappears and the background goes full dark).

As far as the underlined labels, I only noticed "Now", "1 Minute" and the actual minute number in the date/time section. That's the way it has always looked on my iPad/iPhone...

#118 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:25 PM

You also have underlines under the toolbar button titles.  It must be some Accessibility setting I’m not familiar with.  Not a big deal, just a curiosity.

Edit:

Figured it out.  You have the “Button Shapes” accessibility setting turned on.  The underlines buttons to help distinguish them from plain text.

Edited by btschumy, 03 March 2018 - 07:30 PM.

• Markovich likes this

#119 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Cosmos

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:31 PM

I didn't notice on Markovich's screen shot until I clicked on it for the full image.

Just checked my iPad, all of the toolbar button titles are underlined...

#120 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

• Loc: Grove City, Ohio

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

You also have underlines under the toolbar button titles.  It must be some Accessibility setting I’m not familiar with.  Not a big deal, just a curiosity.

Edit:

Figured it out.  You have the “Button Shapes” accessibility setting turned on.  The underlines buttons to help distinguish them from plain text.

Right, IOS is too white, too minimal.

#121 Cathal

Cathal

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central Europe somewhere!

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:45 AM

So, I got the notification that this update was finally available for Android.

The mail I got had a 50% discount offer that I availed of, given I've been a paid user of the Pro edition for at least the past 3 versions, both on iOS and Android .

Still, even with the discount, it irks me a little that the UCAC5 extension was another €11 extra on top of the "Pro" price, and the PGC catalog was *another* sum of money on top.

Not a lot different to SF5 pro that I have seen so far in 20 minutes of prodding around with it installed on my Samsung S8. I do like the ability to hide the menu keys and show all of the sky window.

It's a polished product, and one that I use regularly at my scopes, to control the remote pointing of my mount for video astronomy. Usability is good overall. I'll have to spend a bit more time with the program, and to install on the de-Amazoned Fire 7" tablet that is the primary astronomical device for me.

#122 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:24 AM

I find it a bit funny to look at the equipment lists of some here who complain about the minor costs of additional catalogs or a subscription to optional LiveSky on what is arguably the best astronomy observing software in the world that costs peanuts to buy. You folks should pick your battles better.

• btschumy, RazvanUnderStars, outofsight and 1 other like this

#123 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:28 AM

I signed up for LiveSky Premium to support the team (US$10/year is insignificant as an expense).

Some comments for the dev team:

The web interface is slow at times and a bit buggy (I got a message saying the connection timed out when only moments before I was interacting with the site), but I hope it will improve in time. Please work to reduce the latency of editing operations, it shouldn't take more than a fraction of a second to delete an FOV, for instance. 

On the content: please don't try to gamify astronomy by providing a leaderboard as the very first item. This is not a competition game and I don't think it will work well given the audience. I find it completely irelevant to have a table like below (just pasted from the site):

1. Anonymous 99
2. Anonymous 93
3. Anonymous 46

And even if there were names, it'd be equally irelevant. You can keep it, but move it somewhere below, they are more like a curiosity for users (all these analytics are certainly very relevant for you, of course).

Thank you and am looking forward to the future of LiveSky.

#124 ninelives

ninelives

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:30 PM

I find it a bit funny to look at the equipment lists of some here who complain about the minor costs of additional catalogs or a subscription to optional LiveSky on what is arguably the best astronomy observing software in the world that costs peanuts to buy. You folks should pick your battles better.

I don't think it's the expense per se, it's just not as apparent at first that you need to make additional purchases. From my comment on the Vendor and Group Announcements thread on this:

I was a little disappointed to see that when the description says, "SkySafari 6 Pro includes over 100 million stars, 3 million galaxies, [etc]," it meant that you have to make extra purchases for those databases. I realize there is a little asterisk that directs your attention to the statement below that you have to purchase the additional databases with in-app purchases, but it still felt a little misleading because SkySafari 6 Pro itself doesn't include all those things- just the opportunity to purchase those extra databases. Maybe a description along the lines of, "SkySafari 6 Pro includes [however many the base app includes] stars, galaxies, etc, with the option to dramatically expand those figures with the in-app purchase of additional databases..."

Don't get me wrong, I will always recommend SkySafari to anyone who is looking to enhance their stargazing experience, because it's fantastic. It just felt like this was an unnecessary bit of bait-and-switch. In perspective though, it really is a small thing, like the difference between a 100% recommendation vs a 98% recommendation.

• Cathal likes this

#125 ChrisFC

ChrisFC

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:40 PM

Are the in-app purchase extra catalogs not in SS5 pro ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics