•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Protostar did it again

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: STL

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:32 PM

I ordered a roll of flocking at 6:36 this morning.

At 12:16 I received a USPS notice that my roll was on its way with tracking. 

It'll be here Tuesday.

Jim

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

So weird. 

#3 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Apollo

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

Not sure if you used PayPal, but very convenient for seller if you did - you can make your own label on PayPal in about a minute, stick it on your package and hand it to the postman! PayPal USPS rates are often discounted from even online rates - note you can't make a label if Payment made with Family & Friends option.

#4 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:28 PM

Nope, CC.

Jim

#5 bleep

bleep

Messenger

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:00 AM

Keep us posted!

#6 airbleeder

airbleeder

Apollo

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:19 AM

A couple of years ago, I ordered flocking paper for my reflector and flockboard for my refractor. When I received the order in less than a week, they had been mistakenly switched. I emailed Bryan and received the corrected order, again in less than a week. I don't remember if it was by email or a note in the box, but Bryan apologized for the mixup and said to keep the extra flocking.

I've read all the threads and I'm not sure and I may have even warned people of his reputation myself, I don't remember, but I will say that if I needed some flocking, I would order it from Protostar. A year later I might be telling myself "you knew better" but that IS some good flocking. 

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

Its usually not the shipping of the flocking board people consistently have a problem with. Its the spiders and 2ndry mirrors.

#8 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: far outside the wire

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

protostar shipping a product is newsworthy?

It'll be here Tuesday.

Jim

#9 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

It'll be here Tuesday.

Jim

I'd ordered items from Protostar a few years ago and was very pleased with the items and their service.
But as many have noted here, over the past couple years their service has been terrible. Shipments were delayed, with no response from Protostar.
Perhaps this signals that Protostar is improving/recovering.

#10 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

Yes, because in recent years, its become somewhat rare.  

#11 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

USPS couldn't deliver Tuesday because of a snowy driveway but it was delivered yesterday.

Jim

#12 Sam M

Sam M

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:04 AM

Protostar ripped me off.  I hope you have better luck.

#13 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

I ordered flockboard from them around two years ago for my 6” Newtonian. After four weeks of patient waiting it arrived. I have been very pleased with the product.

#14 deanda56

deanda56

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

I just ordered flockboard from them also. Only took a couple weeks to get it.

Edited by deanda56, 02 May 2018 - 09:04 AM.

#15 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

Reselling flock board is a small step.

It would really be nice to see them get back into the parts business with both feet.

After the self-inflicted gunshot wound to the reputation, it would take a lot.

#16 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

Reselling flock board is a small step.

It would really be nice to see them get back into the parts business with both feet.

After the self-inflicted gunshot wound to the reputation, it would take a lot.

It's the diagonal hardware that's the issue.  He's always been pretty good at shipping the flocking paper.  Well, better than the hardware.

He's really a tremendously knowledgeable guy and I am dismayed to see the damage sustained.  I don't understand why he didn't take down the web site or just put a note on it that he wasn't taking orders.  

With small businesses issues can be issues for a long time. I don't know what happened with protostar, but I will say that in the hiatus he gave a major stimulus to competitive curved diagonals.

GN

Edited by noisejammer, 03 May 2018 - 09:41 PM.
TOS violation

#17 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Vostok 1

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

I have a Protostar secondary in my 10” Dob. I am excited to see the business get up and making them again. I won’t hesitate to use one on my next scope—they are that good!

#18 Woj2007

Woj2007

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tychy, Poland

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:40 AM

Good morning everyone, 

First of all, I'd like to say hello - long-time forum reader, fresh user :)

I hope it's the right thread to write - I'd like to ask you for a piece of advice.

Unfortunately, I haven't read about Protostar before. I found this company on the web offering nice quality quartz secondary mirror for the 10-inch dobs. As I was looking for such a mirror, I ordered it promptly (29th December 2018). My credit card was charged immediately. Since then two weeks have passed, and nothing happened, so I wrote to Protostar (14th January). Brian answered he was away from business, and that he will ship the mirror the next day via airmail, as they are in stock. I felt relieved. Normally, airmail takes 5-10 days from US to Poland, so after 11 days I got worried and I wrote an email again asking if the mirror was sent, requesting some parcel info, or tracking information. No answer.

Last Friday I wrote an email cancelling my order and requesting the refund - no answer.

Well, I know some of you wrote, that the Protostar orders arrived after months sometimes. But if I knew I'd have to wait so long, I would look elsewhere (Antares for example). I feel cheated and think my 200 bucks were just burnt.

So here is my question - what institution in US takes care of such money-taken-no-product issues? Where can I write to try to get my money back? 

Thanks for your patience and help.

Best regards,

Wojtek 

#19 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:04 AM

Many sad tales about Protostar...... Dont know what the time limit is on your credit card company for chargebacks but that is really the only recourse you have......call them and if it has not been too long they should reverse the charges for you.....

#20 Woj2007

Woj2007

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:23 AM

Many sad tales about Protostar...... Dont know what the time limit is on your credit card company for chargebacks but that is really the only recourse you have......call them and if it has not been too long they should reverse the charges for you.....

Thank You Greg, I haven't thought of that. Indeed I contacted my bank and they promised to urge Protostar on my behalf and try to reverse the payment if it won't help.

Wojtek

#21 LarsMalmgren

LarsMalmgren

Mariner 2

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:17 AM

My experience with packages from US to Europe is that it can take about a month to get through.

Mostly it sits in the customs service in my own country (Denmark).

All my shipments has gone through eventually.

I once had a package going from US - New York - Turkey - Bahamas (!) - Frankfurt, Germany and then Denmark where it sat in customs service for another 3 weeks. Total transit was 2½ month as i recall.

A fellow amateur astronomer bought an 8" Royce mirror that tracking showed had arrived in the Danish customs service. But here it disappeared.

He waited for 6+ months, files several complains etc. Then gave up and ordered a second mirror. It was sent and received with about a month of transit.

About a year later they found the first mirror in the customs service and delivered it to him !

I know Protostar has a mixed - if not bad - reputation but i did buy some flocking from them some years ago.

And that was sent and received in about a month. No problems at all.

So sometimes it's the seller, sometimes it's the postal/freight service.

Always ask for a shipment with tracking.

Wojtek, call your bank and ask them for advice. Them must have had this kind of issue many times before...

#22 Woj2007

Woj2007

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

My experience with packages from US to Europe is that it can take about a month to get through.

Mostly it sits in the customs service in my own country (Denmark).

Wojtek, call your bank and ask them for advice. Them must have had this kind of issue many times before...

Thank You Lars.

A few months in the customs doesn't sound relieving :0. As I remember my CD orders from Amazon sometimes went through Customs Office and I had to pay extra tax once, but it didn't take that long anyway.

If only Bryan answered "Yes, I sent it", "No I haven't" I'd know where I stand.

Thanks for your advice - I'll ask the bank how long I can wait with starting the chargeback procedure and maybe wait for the mirror to arrive. 

Best,

Wojtek

#23 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:20 PM

Thank You Lars.

A few months in the customs doesn't sound relieving :0. As I remember my CD orders from Amazon sometimes went through Customs Office and I had to pay extra tax once, but it didn't take that long anyway.

If only Bryan answered "Yes, I sent it", "No I haven't" I'd know where I stand.

Thanks for your advice - I'll ask the bank how long I can wait with starting the chargeback procedure and maybe wait for the mirror to arrive. 

Best,

Wojtek

Get your card issuer to reverse it......and go elsewhere. Too many bad reports on Protostar to be given the benefit of the doubt especially since they are unresponsive.

#24 Woj2007

Woj2007

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:15 PM

Get your card issuer to reverse it......and go elsewhere. Too many bad reports on Protostar to be given the benefit of the doubt especially since they are unresponsive.

That's a concrete action advice, thank you Greg smile.gif

My bank says they accept 120 days from the transaction to apply for the chargeback.

Any recommendations as to what Elsewhere might be ? laugh.gif

I was thinking about Antares. As my primary mirror is about 1/6-1/7 lambda (judging roughly from the star test), I thought the secondary could be 1/12 or 1/15.

Antares writes on their website that the coating is "Enhanced Aluminium", but there is no info about protective SiO2 coating, I wonder if that's relevant for the EAL.

Best regards,

Wojtek

Edited by Woj2007, 19 February 2019 - 04:19 PM.

#25 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

You know...

I'm not the most organized person. And sometimes stuff doesn't come out as nice as I'd like ( or as nice as somebody else might like).

So, if I ran a business and had a product (s)...yeah sometimes somebody might not get as good as they expected. Or it might take me longer to make it and get it to them than they liked  (or I said it would take). An order here or there might just fall through the cracks even and disappear into the ether, never to be shipped.

I don't know what the owner of Protostar is going through in life...or most anybody else for that matter...so I am willing to cut the guy some slack and won't go so far as to make a moral judgement.

But having said that....IF YOU NEVER SHIPPED X....or have taken too long TO SHIP X...and somebody wants their money back ...SEND THEM THEIR MONEY BACK.

Any business that does otherwise on a semi-regular basis deserves IMO to go out of business. I don't care if they make the worlds best toilet paper out of Unicorn farts and they are the only one to do it. I'm going to suffer silicon carbide encrusted corn cobs before I order from them (and it is mostly NOT the chance of loosing some money..its the principle of the thing).

Edited by starcanoe, 19 February 2019 - 03:53 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics