•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Protostar did it again

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#26 Woj2007

Woj2007

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tychy, Poland

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

You know...

I'm not the most organized person. And sometimes stuff doesn't come out as nice as I'd like ( or as nice as somebody else might like).

Same for me, I am not organized (call it creative ;) that's why I gave the company some time, waiting patiently, and asking politely. I am not judging them, as different things might happen in life (as you say). Just wanted some response about the state of things - when giving 200 bucks away the day one, that was the least I expected.

> I don't care if they make the worlds best toilet paper out of Unicorn farts and they are the only one to do it. I'm going to suffer silicon carbide

> encrusted corn cobs before I order from them (and it is mostly NOT the chance of loosing some money..its the principle of the thing).

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#27 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:46 PM

Ive seen this thread comethrough so often and posted that Ive gotten 4 secondaries from them, quickly and in the quality they specified.

#28 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

That's a concrete action advice, thank you Greg smile.gif

My bank says they accept 120 days from the transaction to apply for the chargeback.

Any recommendations as to what Elsewhere might be ? laugh.gif

I was thinking about Antares. As my primary mirror is about 1/6-1/7 lambda (judging roughly from the star test), I thought the secondary could be 1/12 or 1/15.

Antares writes on their website that the coating is "Enhanced Aluminium", but there is no info about protective SiO2 coating, I wonder if that's relevant for the EAL.

Best regards,

Wojtek

Antares would be my choice.....and complaints are rare, dont know about coatings they may or may not use......

#29 LarsMalmgren

LarsMalmgren

Mariner 2

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:22 AM

+1 on the Antares secondaries.

Several of my ATM friends in Denmark have ordered and received these.

They're all happy with the secondaries.

On the top of my list when i some day get time to finish some of my ATM projects :)

#30 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:03 AM

Apparently people these days are wrapping their Ferrari's in black velvet suede. For the price, I think this might be worth investigating over protostar flock https://www.ebay.com...JDm3A:rk:2:pf:1

#31 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:57 AM

Protostar ripped me off the same way on some flocking. For a secondary I’ve heard good things about Antares. I’ve had good luck with Astrosystems.

https://www.astrosystems.biz/secm1.htm

#32 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Skylab

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

I'm glad CN is allowing threads like this that warn people of unscrupulous vendors.  I've already warned friends wanting to build scopes to avoid Protostar like Ebola.

My Dad had several sayings that apply to Protostar:

(1) "This guy needs his necktie adjusted".

(2) Dad: "I'd like to spend some quality time slappin the skin off this feller with a 4 foot piece of heater hose, a bottle of alcohol and a six pack."

Me: "Why the six pack?"

Dad: "For when I get thirsty."

#33 ckh

ckh

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:37 AM

That's a little scary. Good natured hyperbola I hope. 

#34 ccaissie

ccaissie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitefield, Maine

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

Any business that does otherwise on a semi-regular basis deserves IMO to go out of business. I don't care if they make the worlds best toilet paper out of Unicorn farts and they are the only one to do it. I'm going to suffer silicon carbide encrusted corn cobs before I order from them (and it is mostly NOT the chance of loosing some money..its the principle of the thing).

Right. Even though a certain coater I used is not recently on the hotseat, the treatment he gave me few years ago soured me forever.

#35 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:03 PM

Protostar took me for a secondary mirror holder and 12”  spider assembly.

Stay away unless you like to gamble.

#36 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:55 PM

Like every Protostar topic they tend to go on perpetually and mostly bad news whenever they come along.....I believe enough folks have reported in that its a bad idea for the most part to try.  Closing this one down until the next time as it just tends to be repetitive to the point of vendor bashing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics