•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anybody Ever See A UFO?

observatory observing report observing
  • Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

#1 Aperture Mask

Aperture Mask

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:53 PM

Have you ever seen an object in the sky, that looked alien in its structure? Thanks to you all.

Attached Thumbnails

• ufo 1.jpg

• Astroman007 likes this

#2 walt99

walt99

Viking 1

• Loc: Mount Aerial, Kentucky

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:59 PM

Yes.

• Astroman007 likes this

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:20 AM

I know a few SAC, USAF and commercial pilots who have described extremely similar sightings of groups of fast luminous objects but for me, no.

And thank you for not participating in the re-naming fad that's going 'round.

• Zigarro and Astroman007 like this

#4 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:38 AM

Yes. Twice. I don't know if I ought to subject anyone here to the lengthy stories, though...once I get started, I fill paragraphs. My teachers said many times that I should write a book...thinking1.gif

Thanks for being open-minded enough to start a serious thread on this important subject, AM! I salute you. waytogo.gif

• Rick-T137, Chrysovellus, jeepcj5 and 1 other like this

#5 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:06 AM

No, but my Mom did in the mid-1960s.

• Adam Taylor likes this

#6 Ernest_SPB

Ernest_SPB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: St.-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:12 AM

I have seen a lot unidentified flying objects... Being a private person I have a little means to identify everything what I can see in sky.

• JimMo and dusty99 like this

#7 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:09 AM

Yes. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Astroman007 and Earthbound1 like this

#8 penguinx64

penguinx64

Soyuz

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:09 AM

One time I saw an object that appeared to be a satellite.  Then, it changed direction quickly and faded away a second later.  It looked almost like it bounced of the earth's atmosphere and went back up into space.  Maybe a Meteor?  

On the other hand, I've never seen a Weather Balloon, Ball Lightning or Swamp Gas.

• Rick-T137, Astroman007 and Earthbound1 like this

#9 Chrysovellus

Chrysovellus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wyoming

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:42 AM

Yes. Twice. I don't know if I ought to subject anyone here to the lengthy stories, though...once I get started, I fill paragraphs. My teachers said many times that I should write a book...thinking1.gif

Thanks for being open-minded enough to start a serious thread on this important subject, AM! I salute you. waytogo.gif

I like stories. Please ... subject us. laugh.gif

• Heywood and Astroman007 like this

#10 caveman_astronomer

caveman_astronomer

Gemini

• -----

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:47 AM

Have you ever seen an object in the sky, that looked alien in its structure? Thanks to you all.

Airbus Belugas and Super Guppies look alien.

• Starkid2u and Rick-T137 like this

#11 Nikonuser

Nikonuser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: wales, GB

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:58 AM

many many years ago I was driving along a darkish road late evening, and there was NOTHING on either side other than fields, and trees, NO houses anything.

Something came down, bounced off the road and back up about the size of a small UK football, wondered to this day what it was.

#12 caveman_astronomer

caveman_astronomer

Gemini

• -----

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:03 AM

many many years ago I was driving along a darkish road late evening, and there was NOTHING on either side other than fields, and trees, NO houses anything.

Something came down, bounced off the road and back up about the size of a small UK football, wondered to this day what it was.

Maybe it was a small UK football.

• Ben L, Mauikj, happylimpet and 6 others like this

#13 Dick Jacobson

Dick Jacobson

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, Minnesota, USA

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:42 AM

Not me, but I believe others who say they have. Do the alien craft use dark matter for propulsion? A rocket exhaust or beam consisting of dark matter would not interact significantly with the Earth or produce visible light, so might enable "magical" hovering and tremendous acceleration as has often been reported.

• Astroman007 likes this

#14 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -- C. Sagan.

• Unknownastron, JimMo, Phil Cowell and 20 others like this

#15 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• Loc: NC

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:06 AM

Yes, saw a silver toilet paper tube in the sky maybe 1/2 mile away. I stared at it for about 2 minutes, not a blimp, the same shape all the way from one end to the other, no fins, no navigation compartment underneath, no wings, nothing, shaped just like a tube from inside the roll of toilet paper. It did not move 1 foot the whole two minutes I stared at it. I went in quickly to get my binoculars, gone about 20 seconds, when I came back, it was gone. Weird

• Astroman007 likes this

#16 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:06 AM

If you mean an object that I could not readily indentify, yes. If you mean a spaceship of some kind, I could not definitively say.  I HAVE seen USAF Black Ops aircraft in the sky that could've been mistaken for UFO's since they are not readily available to the general public, but they appeared during the day and once I recognized them as aircraft, I was able to identify which one's they were. I used to be tied pretty deeply to aviation so if it moved, I made it my biz to know what it was...

STARKID2U

• Earthbound1 likes this

#17 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:12 AM

That image is not of a UFO, even if an artists impression. You have a very good clear well defined idea of exactly what it is. So by your own definition it is 100% not unidentified.

The question is meaningless therefore. What you are asking is "Have you seen an alien, as in extratrrestrial, flying craft?"

#18 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:18 AM

When I was about 12 years old, 1967, my mother came running into the house yelling for me to get my telescope (Tasco 60mm refractor). I ran outside with it, my dad and several neighbors were staring and pointing at a very luminous object, low in the west, this being just after sunset. My dad proclaimed authoritatively "That's a star!" and of course I knew that nothing that bright, not even Venus, should be there.... I got the scope on it, and to my absolute astonishment saw a huge, silvery, oblate onion-shaped object, with a tower on top and with two bright lights, like huge eyes. I was just about to start screaming "UFO!!" when I remembered I had an inverted view of the object... flipping it in my head, I immediately recognized it as a weather balloon. So yes, I have seen something in the sky that looked alien in structure, but it wasn't.

• Vesper818, Ouranos, JimMo and 8 others like this

#19 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

I often get this question from friends who know I am into astronomy and that I spent a lot of time looking at the skies. I tell them that I have not seen anything like that because I do spend a lot of time looking at the sky and have learned about the things that I see. In fact, one would think that the people would see more of those UFO thingys than most anyone else would be us amateur astronomers since we spend so much time looking at the sky. But we don't.

And, as an engineer by training, and a scientist by nature, I look for natural or rational explanations for the things I see that I can't readily identify rather than some out-of-the-world-intellegent-life excuse for something I can't readily figure out.

My 2 cents, and of course, worth every penny.gramps.gif

Arizona Ken

• Greyhaven, MikeRatcliff, Jon Isaacs and 11 others like this

#20 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Skylab

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

At the risk of subjecting myself to public scrutiny, I'll relate my story, since some of you like stories...

Late '70s, wife and I are at the beach late at night, enjoying the coolish breeze and the sounds of the surf. Our "activity" was interrupted by "something"... it was LARGE, and flying low and slow, practically soundless, dark, but with what appeared to be lit portholes around its perimeter. It was bowl shaped, wingless. It went directly over us. I did not know what it was, but I was pretty sure what it wasn't.

This was near a USAF base. USAF craft were a regular sight and I knew many of the planes flown out of there. This thing matched nothing I was familiar with, and it was not a blimp, as I knew and could identify those as well. It was soon gone, disappearing over the Gulf, but in an unusual way... it did not break the horizon, but instead seemed to drop vertically into the water and was gone.

I have pondered this event over many years. My thoughts were at first it was a "black" project, not meant to be observed, and then I thought if so, why fly it in a populated area? I was a USNavy SeaBee at the time and I had been stationed on the base that we flew SR-71 out of. They flew and landed at night and we were NEVER allowed to see them. EVER. And we were military personnel. I only found out it was the "Blackbird" years later after it had been declassified.

At this point, I have no clue what my wife and I saw. I make no claims to it being alien in origin. I suspect that it was one of ours, but it was some mighty strange tech. We never told anyone what we saw.

Keep looking up!

CB

• Mauikj, Adam Taylor, Starkid2u and 8 others like this

#21 Heywood

Heywood

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

That statement is often repeated, but I'm not sure it makes any sense.  I'm an attorney, and I've seen many propositions of fact proven at trial, both more probable than not (the civil standard) and beyond a reasonable doubt (the criminal standard).  It seems to me that, outside the field of criminal law, a proposition of fact needs only enough evidence to be established more probable than not, in the eyes of a hypothetically reasonable person.  

What did Sagan mean by "extraordinary evidence"?  Did he mean "extraordinarily strong"?  Did he mean "beyond a reasonable doubt," which means proof to a high degree of certainty (in case you are wondering)?

Edited by Heywood, 27 December 2017 - 09:28 AM.

• fingerguns and Astroman007 like this

#22 Feidb

Feidb

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

Plenty. Even reported one to the OSI in Spain back in the 80's. As for them being alien spacecraft? No idea. I've wondered, but then I go back to the fact that what I saw each time wasn't close enough to me that whatever they were, nobody (or an icky bug) landed, got out and shook my hand, tried to do experiments on me (at least that I know of), or let me take their picture.

So, they were UFOs, true, but alien spacecraft? I can't say.

• Edward Nash and Astroman007 like this

#23 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

That statement is often repeated, but I'm not sure it makes any sense.  I'm an attorney, and I've seen many propositions of fact proven at trial, both more probable than not (the civil standard) and beyond a reasonable doubt (the criminal standard).  It seems to me that a proposition of fact, of whatever nature, needs only enough evidence to be established more probable than not, in the eyes of a hypothetically reasonable person.

I am an engineer and believe in the scientific method. Legal standards are not the same as scientific standards. Sorry.

Arizona Ken

• Ernesto.Nicola, rowdy388, Rick-T137 and 5 others like this

#24 Heywood

Heywood

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

At the risk of subjecting myself to public scrutiny, I'll relate my story, since some of you like stories...

Late '70s, wife and I are at the beach late at night, enjoying the coolish breeze and the sounds of the surf. Our "activity" was interrupted by "something"... it was LARGE, and flying low and slow, practically soundless, dark, but with what appeared to be lit portholes around its perimeter. It was bowl shaped, wingless. It went directly over us. I did not know what it was, but I was pretty sure what it wasn't.

This was near a USAF base. USAF craft were a regular sight and I knew many of the planes flown out of there. This thing matched nothing I was familiar with, and it was not a blimp, as I knew and could identify those as well. It was soon gone, disappearing over the Gulf, but in an unusual way... it did not break the horizon, but instead seemed to drop vertically into the water and was gone.

I have pondered this event over many years. My thoughts were at first it was a "black" project, not meant to be observed, and then I thought if so, why fly it in a populated area? I was a USNavy SeaBee at the time and I had been stationed on the base that we flew SR-71 out of. They flew and landed at night and we were NEVER allowed to see them. EVER. And we were military personnel. I only found out it was the "Blackbird" years later after it had been declassified.

At this point, I have no clue what my wife and I saw. I make no claims to it being alien in origin. I suspect that it was one of ours, but it was some mighty strange tech. We never told anyone what we saw.

Keep looking up!

CB

Thank you for the story.

I find it really hard to believe that our military has craft that can fly soundlessly, or with no visible means of propulsion, or that fly in ways that appear to violate the laws of physics.  If our military did have such technology, why isn't it being used in any of our many wars?  Why didn't we use it to neutralize the Soviets when they were around?  If we have such technology, what good is it if we aren't using it?

• happylimpet, StarChaser55, SeaBee1 and 2 others like this

#25 Heywood

Heywood

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

That statement is often repeated, but I'm not sure it makes any sense.  I'm an attorney, and I've seen many propositions of fact proven at trial, both more probable than not (the civil standard) and beyond a reasonable doubt (the criminal standard).  It seems to me that a proposition of fact, of whatever nature, needs only enough evidence to be established more probable than not, in the eyes of a hypothetically reasonable person.

I am an engineer and believe in the scientific method. Legal standards are not the same as scientific standards. Sorry.

Arizona Ken

Well, "I'm sorry", too, but I have no idea what you mean.  And when you say "sorry," you are implying that I'm an idiot, which I most assuredly am not.  I was trained in science, too.  Propositions of fact are propositions of fact, period.  And I understand the "scientific method" as well as anyone.

Whether UFO's are alien craft is a proposition of fact.  The question is whether it can be established as fact to any degree of certainty.  You can present any evidence you want, in any forum that you want. 

Edited by Heywood, 27 December 2017 - 09:41 AM.

• fingerguns, Astroman007, serrurier and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observatory, observing report, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics