•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Telescope Testing

beginner classic collimation optics refractor
  • Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 DMala

DMala

Apollo

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

It sounds interesting but I am not clear on one aspect. I assume Allan's telescope lenses were well collimated. Now the collimations screws have been slightly twisted to center the interference rings. What happened to the initial collimation? Wouldn't a star test to verify collimation be warranted now?

#102 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

No,  it is not the collimation screws he turned but the screws that hold the retainer ring on.  To do the test, the lens in it's cell is removed from the telescope and your adjusting the retainer ring of the cell. Adjusting the air gap is independent of collimating the objective.

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 07 January 2019 - 03:01 PM.

• DMala likes this

#103 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Denmark

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:00 PM

DMala,

The 3 screws I’m adjusting for centering the interference pattern are the small screws in the lens retaining ring (not the 3 screws in the “ears” of the lens cell for collimating the cell to the tube/focuser). The screws in the retaining ring presses down in 3 points on the front lens, thus adjusting the tilt/spacing between the front and rear lens.

— Allan

• steve t and DMala like this

#104 DMala

DMala

Apollo

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

Got it thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, classic, collimation, optics, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics