•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What's the min cost for a worthwhile NV setup these days?

NV
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

Has stuff gone down at all? When I was looking a few years ago it was at least $2k to get anything.

#2 supersimon

supersimon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

What does NV stand for??

#3 supersimon

supersimon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

answered my own question, night vision

#4 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

New or used

??

#5 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

Well, given the breakability/failability of NV gear, probably new. I might do used if I could inspect it, which means it would have to be local, which will never, ever show up (if there's a set in the area, I've never seen it at a star party or club meeting).

#6 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

do you think you can do a DYI body if you bought a tube?

#7 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

do you think you can do a DYI body if you bought a tube?

No, I'm not that handy and I don't have a lot of tools... anyways, isn't the tube the expensive part?

I'm just looking for a back of the envelope estimate here. I was thinking of getting a new scope, but I thought I'd at least evaluate the NV option to see if it's feasible now.

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

It is pretty easy to put together a PVS-7 kit.  I wrote instructions and you can find them in the "Equipment" forum. 

https://www.cloudyni...?hl= pvs#82087=

A housing kit will cost you about $600 to $800. This does not include the image intensifier.

You can also buy the components and if you use the "Make Offer' button, you can often get a considerable discount over the published price.

For this, you need a Collimator, a wired housing, a back plate (which has the eyepeices) a screw kit, and objective, or you can skip the objective to save some money and go with a C mount nose.  The above post shows the difference.

Good new (old stock) tubes can be found on Ebay for between $1200 and $1500, and sometimes less.   These will not have a warranty, but if the seller says it is new, then of course you should expect it to work out of the box.

Look for a 10130 D/UV tube.  The C/UV works, but the D/UV is better.  

Edited by Eddgie, 27 December 2017 - 07:24 PM.

• highfnum likes this

#9 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

https://www.ebay.com...cQAAOSwY~VZcRs1

I would offer $1200 or even $1000.

#10 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:45 PM

So, it's about $1800-2500 total cost?

#11 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:55 PM

So, it's about $1800-2500 total cost?

Yes, you should be able to get into a PVS-7 with a new tube for under $2K and if you are patient and shop for the parts probably $1600.  Maybe.   Some guy had a new Collimator for sale for $200, and I used Make Offer and got it for $120.   I found a complete wired housing with eyepiece and collimator for $400 once (no objective, but if you are going to only use it in telescope, you don't need that). 

#12 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

Hmm. Sorry, I wasn't expecting so much detail. I was mostly just trying to get an idea of how much it was and how practical it would be to consider someday.

It's getting closer to being something I could afford and I'm learning more about it, so I'm a little less skittish now... but I'd definitely have to try one first. I need to try it to see if it feels like visual observing to me (yay) or imaging (boo). Maybe in the upcoming year I can make a star party in another area (like the big Messier marathons they have in the southwest...) and try one out. Nobody has one where I live, or they don't interact with the club if they do.

#13 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:07 PM

You can rent a monocular from Ultimate Night Vision.  

#14 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

Cool! I wonder if they'd send something out with a C mount? That might make for a really fun star party next fall.

#15 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

Maybe in the upcoming year I can make a star party in another area (like the big Messier marathons they have in the southwest...) and try one out. Nobody has one where I live, or they don't interact with the club if they do.

If you get down to Arizona, pm me. My set-up is not the $2,000 one, but it will give you a feel for NV. 

#16 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:16 AM

Cool! I wonder if they'd send something out with a C mount? That might make for a really fun star party next fall.

I have suggested to them many times that the offer a Mod 3 for rental, but to date, the only thing I think they rent is PVS-14.  You can still do afocal to try it out.  Just use an eyepiece wiht 25mm to 30mm focal length and this will aproximate the veiw working at prime focus, or use a 55mm or 56mm Plossl to make the scope much faster, but to get the best result, on nebula (which is usually the main reason for making a scope faster) you need an H-a filter.  For stars and some nebula like Ring and Dumbell, no filter really needed.

#17 pwang99

pwang99

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

Maybe this is not an appropriate forum for discussing this, but I've thought about renting out one of my Mod3, with a full complement of adapters and filters, and a 3x afocal lens.  (Since seeing is believing for this stuff.)

To gauge interest in this, is it more appropriate to start a thread in the Vendor group?  I'm not a vendor (yet), but also don't want to run afoul of the forum rules...

#18 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

Maybe this is not an appropriate forum for discussing this, but I've thought about renting out one of my Mod3, with a full complement of adapters and filters, and a 3x afocal lens.  (Since seeing is believing for this stuff.)

To gauge interest in this, is it more appropriate to start a thread in the Vendor group?  I'm not a vendor (yet), but also don't want to run afoul of the forum rules...

If you are contemplating any sort of commercial activity, you should probably register with an administrator as a vendor before posting for indications of interest in the vendor announcement forum. Please read the Terms of Service before doing anything and then PM an Administrator with any questions about registering, or PM one of the many EAA mods for assistance. Good luck.

#19 Kevdog

Kevdog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:07 AM

Occassionaly a TSE Gen3 Prowler Night Vision Monocular comes onto ebay for a good price.   I don't think the tube is as new and fancy as what you can get in the Mod3, but I saw one go for $1200 and I actually bought one at $820.   I still haven't figured out how to get at the tube to find out what tube I have.   But it's a C-Mount body and I'm happy with it!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics