•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star test results and questions

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:54 AM

Good news!

I got it on the AVX, improved the collimation a bit, and it's better than I thought.

The weird intrafocal/extrafocal patterns persist, but I was able to split Eps. Arietis, which is a 1.4 arcsecond double. It's not a completely clean split, but it's pretty good. And once you get to that level, it's hard to say it's not the sky.

I'm guessing the optics aren't amazing (it probably has a bit of SA) but they're at least ok. It will be fine for deep sky and probably at least somewhat usable for planetary. I looked at Uranus and Neptune tonight and they both resolved into neat little disks. Actually, the disk for Uranus is one of the better ones I've seen - the seeing was actually pretty good tonight. I really got the feeling that "Yup, there's a disk, that's really a planet". So, not bad - but we can't really get an idea about the contrast until Jupiter and Saturn come back.

Also, the transfer to the AVX was nothing but an upgrade in just about every possible way. The AVX cannot only handle the 10", it is significantly more stable than the original Meade fork was (I was not expecting that). Goto worked, although it seemed a bit less accurate than usual (maybe because of the focal length?) The scope is much easier to transport now because there is no big scope + fork combo - the OTA, by itself, is pretty friendly to carry around, neither extremely heavy nor excessively bulky. The ergonomics are better because the fork can't get in the way of your body. I guess the finder is harder to get to, but with goto, you don't really use the finder much.

So, it's looking pretty good. I think it'll be a fun scope when the weather improves more. Tonight, during testing, I really appreciated having so much aperture on the AVX. It'll be nice to have a telescope on the AVX that doesn't just make me wish I was using a larger telescope.

• R Botero likes this

#27 jjack's

jjack's

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: normandy

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:22 AM

finaly your scope seems a good one...enjoy it waytogo.gif

#28 Gofr

Gofr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

Nice to know the AVX can handle the 10 inch Meade. I have a similar setup with a C9 on my Exos 2 and have always hesitated getting anything bigger/heavier than the C9 for my Exos 2. If the AVX can handle the Meade 10 inch SCT, then maybe the comparable C11 isn't so far fetched.

#29 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

Yeah, I was impressed by how well the AVX handles the 10". I was expecting the AVX to be worse than the Meade fork and for the whole affair to be a little shaky, but it was actually much better than the stock fork. I wouldn't want to do photography with it, but for visual, it is fine. You might want anti-vibration pads. It does require a second counterweight, and they are nearly all the way out to the end of the shaft.

I can't guarantee it would handle a C11 but it wouldn't surprise me. I think Celestrons are lighter than equivalent Meades. People are always skeptical of thay combination but people who have tried it usually say it's ok.

Of course, that's the AVX. I have never seen an Exos 2 and don't know if it also holds true for them. The AVX is a very heavy mount for its 'mount class' so it might be able to do it where lighter mounts in the size range might fail.

Also, I don't know if this is baseless, but I'm always a little scared it's going to slide out of the dovetail. It's so much weight on such a small dovetail plate.

#30 Gofr

Gofr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

The Exos 2 is just the current generation of the Vixen GP. Its weight limitations are very similar to that of the AVX.

Yes the Meade SCTs are heavier, hence why I am impressed with the 10 inch riding ok on the AVX. It or a C11 would definitely be a visual only setup for sure, which would be fine in my case as I'm visual only.

Regardless, I'm probably still never going bigger than my current C9. I'd rather use the extra weight alotment of the mount to get a nice bino setup on my C9 some day.

I had the same concerns with my C9 being held on my mount by just that little screw. Always made me uncomfortable. I ponied up the extra cash to upgrade my mount saddle to an ADM dual saddle. Not only is it a much more secure hold, but even allows me to use losmandy plate on future scopes also.

Edited by Gofr, 03 January 2018 - 03:51 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics