•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade lx200-ACF 10" f/10

mount
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 larry7

larry7

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

Does anyone have problems with the goto or tracking at temperatures around -5 to +15 degrees F. ? I am thinking about purchasing one and would like to know if temperature would be an issue. Also, are there any other issues I should be aware of. Thanks, Larry

#2 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

I can’t comment on the mount, but I have owned a few of the 10” Meade ACF OTA’s and both had excellent optical quality, some of the best I have used.  

Bill

• Jon_Doh and BLACKDRAGON like this

#3 jmorales21

jmorales21

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

I have a similar LX200GPS and have been able to use GoTo and track down to 10F. The hand controller is the most temperature-sensitive part of the setup at that point, but I use a computer for controlling the telescope, and that has not been a problem for me.

Cheers,

JM

• BLACKDRAGON and bobito like this

#4 Peterson Engineering

Peterson Engineering

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hi Larry,

As JM mentions, when temperatures get into the single digits the hand controller may need to be heated occasionally with a hair dryer or some other means to make the display display.  But I've never experienced a problem with an LX200GPS failing to track well in those conditions.

Clear skies,

Pete

• bobito and jmorales21 like this

#5 bobito

bobito

Apollo

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

I used my LX200GPS down to about 0 F, no issues.

#6 larry7

larry7

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. Helps a lot.

#7 E Sully

E Sully

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: New York

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

I've used my LX200 8" Classic in 10 degree weather with no problem except my bare fingers briefly freezing to the tripod leg when bringing it in.  Never tried it below that.

#8 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

Shouldn't be issues with mount. Make sure your power supply is up to snuff whether battery or AC. Expect the battery to lose 25 to 40% of efficiency at that temperature level. You may want to consider protecting any exposed power chords from becoming brittle if they aren't the expensive type of cords. You may consider looping them Loosely when you're packing up and such cold temperatures to avoid developing cracks. Let the cables get warm before you try and wind them up into smaller bundles
  • jmorales21 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics