•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

12" SCT vs 12" ACF question (astrophotography)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jesus Munoz

Jesus Munoz

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sarasota, Florida

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a 12" catadioptric telescope and there are two options, classical SCT and ACF.  Because deep sky astrophotography using an Optec Nexgen 0.62X reducer corrector (for the classical SCT) or an Optec Lepus 0.62X reducer (for the ACF version) is my goal, I got a question:  both systems are corrected with the Optec reducers, does both will perform the same for astrophotography?  Say both systems f/10.

Thanks for your answers

Edited by Jesus Munoz, 30 December 2017 - 04:33 PM.

#2 mvas

mvas

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Ohio

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Your answer is within this thread ...

https://www.cloudyni...ner-14-edge-hd/

#3 akulapanam

akulapanam

Vanguard

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a 12" catadioptric telescope and there are two options, classical SCT and ACF.  Because deep sky astrophotography using an Optec Nexgen 0.62X reducer corrector (for the classical SCT) or an Optec Lepus 0.62X reducer (for the ACF version) is my goal, I got a question:  both systems are corrected with the Optec reducers, does both will perform the same for astrophotography?  Say both systems f/10.

Thanks for your answers

Probably not with the size of chip that the Optec reducer will illuminate.  The big difference will be resolution and field of view.  Personally I would pass on both and get a RC or C11 Edge HD.  The big weakness in the ACF system IMHO is that they don't have a reducer/flattener that will work 16200 or larger chip (really even a APS-C is pushing it with the Optec in the corners).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics