•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you see last night in your binoculars? (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#326 earlyriser

earlyriser

Apollo

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:28 AM

I was looking at grouping of stars that I later found out is known as Ruprecht 173. Nestled between the stars Gienah, Gamma Cygni, and 47 Cygni, this is good object for wide field telescopes and binoculars. I don't know if these stars are an actual cluster, or just a chance alignment.

Below is a link to a chart to help you find Ru173

http://www.dreistein...=&sca=300&src=A

• Mad Matt and Jake21 like this

#327 Jake21

Jake21

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:23 PM

I was looking at grouping of stars that I later found out is known as Ruprecht 173. Nestled between the stars Gienah, Gamma Cygni, and 47 Cygni, this is good object for wide field telescopes and binoculars. I don't know if these stars are an actual cluster, or just a chance alignment.

Below is a link to a chart to help you find Ru173

http://www.dreistein...=&sca=300&src=A

I'm going to have to check that out. The bundles of stars around Cygni have been the highlight of my  summer sessions. Lyra has also been great. 

#328 Cobber

Cobber

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Armadale, Western Australia

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

Just trying out my pre-loved 10x40 binoculars on a few random sights.

Shortly after sunset glimpsed a young moon a few degrees south of Pollux as well as M44 close to Venus. When it got somewhat darker gave Canis Major a good scan before it set, had a good look at M41 and the attractive arc of stars south of Delta Canis Majoris.

When it was sufficiently dark I hid away from the blinding night lights of the apartment complex I am temporarily living in and sought out the far southern Milky Way. Eta Carina and its nebula (NGC 3372) was easily scanned up and it was a great sight to see again particularly after living in the other hemisphere for the last ten years. Eta Carina itself seems to be brighter than it used to, I will check to see if it has brightened over the last ten years.

Near the Eta Carinae nebula are the superb open clusters NGC 3372 and just across the border in Centaurus NGC 3766. Both clusters definitely warrant further investigation through the 10x40's under a less polluted sky. Next stop was the Southern Cross where I easily swept up the compact NGC 4755 (Jewel Box).

After scanning the Milky Way between Beta Crucis and Beta Centauri I looked towards Omega Centauri which showed an attractive circular haze. I was unable to resolve Omega Centauri at all; it was worth a try as I have previously resolved several of its stars with a pair of 7x50's many years ago. After Omega I swept up and located Centaurus A (NGC5128) looking like a miniature Omega Centauri through my uncoated binos. Finally I tried to find the galaxy NGC4945, however, I was out of luck. Will definitely try for this galaxy tonight together with its fellow cluster member M83 in neighbouring Hydra.

While the Moon is still young and the weather awesome I will seek out a darker site in the hills east of me and give the old 10x40's a bit of a push.

• Mr. Bill, jdown and Mike G. like this

#329 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:17 PM

Dude.....think 100mm binoculars.

laugh.gif

• Mike G. and duck2k like this

#330 Bob Cook

Bob Cook

Lift Off

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:59 PM

Hello all

It was an unusually clear evening in SW Ohio.  I spent part of the evening scanning around the constellation Hercules.  I always enjoy M13, but M92 attracted my attention this evening.  I'm always startled when a satellite passes through my field of view.  I caught one moving NW to SE through Hercules.. Not a rare event. About a minute later another satellite passed through my field of view moving  SE to NW on about the same line.  Haven't seen that before.

Bob

• jdown likes this

#331 Mike G.

Mike G.

Apollo

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

Last night our club had public viewing so I packed up the 6” sct and the 100 APMs and headed out. Skies were not great with a good deal of cirrus but we had an exceptionally good crowd for some reason. The clubs’ dobs and C14 were concentrated on Jupiter and M13 so I went galaxy hunting with the APM’s and the vixen 22LVW’s. M81 and 82 were made for this combo and several club members stated they had never seen this pair portrayed so beautifully. I kept the binos there most of the night and many visitors had their first view of a galaxy. Later went to M104 which was less distinct but still easily visible with direct vision. Albireo was also a hit with the contrasting colors as well as the star fields around Sadr. Clouds moved in for good so we shut down about an hour early. 

I need to send Markus a thank you note....

• jdown and duck2k like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics