•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you see last night in your binoculars? (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
819 replies to this topic

#51 astroclint

astroclint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Parker Colorado

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

Lunar Eclipse with my Resolux 15x70's.  I had to drag myself out of bed, but once I got outdoors, I was ready.smile.gif

I know the feeling had to do the same myself lol.

#52 celestronlover57

celestronlover57

Gemini

• Loc: Mississippi

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:21 PM

I was up photographing the eclipse, but managed a quick look with my Pentax 10x25's that I had in my coat pocket.

#53 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

^^^ Post a photo? smile.gif

#54 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

Tried out my new Celestron 15x70s on Ori, Cma, Gem, Tar and Aur.

Looked like I was pulling two stars out of the Trapezium, not sure since I was handholding them and not very steady.  Not much luck on Messiers elsewhere - the moon was up by the time I got outside to add to the local LP.

Supposed to cloud up tonight, otherwise I'll give it another shot, maybe put them on my craptastic camera tripod.

#55 gralydolphin

gralydolphin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

Looked at the moon with my Nikon 12 x 50's

#56 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

Went out to get the paper (yes, my wife like the crosswords and anagrams) and noticed that the moon could be seen behind a large fir and then I noticed something bright, so into the house grabbed the 20 x 80's on the 055CF/large ball head and phone. Stellarium showed Arturus (only thing visible besides the moon) in that po0sition, so why not?  As some may remember these are the binoculars that I started the original thread with (3rd pair to get good ones). So convenient they are and with a red dot so quick to find something.   Nothing like just a little peek to keep the pilot light lit IMHO.

Edited by Jeff Lee, 03 February 2018 - 06:07 PM.

#57 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Severe cold weather has prevented much observing the last few months.  I dressed up as the Michelin Man and ventured out for about an hour with the Vixen 16x80's on a Paragon mount.

Panning the winter Milky Way for awhile then hit up some well known targets.

From tonight's logbook

February 3, 2018 7:10-8:05EDT

A brief session with the 16x80's.

Observed several objects in Orion, Gemini, and Monoceros

Orion

Messier 78 is a seen as a small, fairly bright south proceeding fan shaped nebulae

Sh2-276 Barnard's Loop is partially in the same field with Messier 78.  Panning eastward the span of the loop fills the 

field with enough contrasting space east and west to detect the faint uniform glow.  The loop can be followed northward curving westward over Messier 78.  South section was difficult to confirm.

NGC-2024 The Flame seen just east of Alnitak.  More or less round in appearance with curved bisection seen well. Suspected details in east section.

NGC-2174 The Monkey Head Nebula. Large, round, and prominent against the dark background sky.  A string of faint stars runs N-S within the east portion.  Well seen and easy to stumble upon just south of the M-35 region.

Messier 42 / 43 / NGC-1977  The Orion Nebula region is fantastic with three Trapezium members seen within the Huygenian region.  The Fish's Mouth is sharp into the Huygenian Region which is sharply defined along the squared edge.  The visibility of the faint outer loop is complete with tenuous edges on the east and west sides with the dark interior seen.  Essentially a bright lantern in the sky!

Messier 43 Small round bright neby just outside and north of the Fish's Mouth.

NGC-1977 Faint reflection glow elongated east-west within stellar group.

Gemini

Messier 35  Very large irregular shaped.  A mix of brighter and fainter members. NGC-2158 and I.2157 seen in field.

Monoceros

NGC-2237-39, 2246 Rossette Nebula  Bright compact open cluster oriented north-south.  Nebula around cluster well seen with north side most prominent.

#58 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

Got out the APM 100’s again.  The seeing was lousy because of wispy clouds.  Thin enough to enjoy the night weather, but thick enough to destroy the seeing.  the clear sky area is in Orion, Menocorus, Sirius, Cancer, and The Rabbit.

I wanted to try my O-III filters on M42.  I was amazed at the better contrast of the nebula.  The stars were a little green, but M42 looked great, and @ 55x.

The rest of the session was:

M41

M50

M46/47

NGC 2324

M93

M44

M67

These targets were with the APM 15mm UF.  This eyepiece is another great item like their 18, and 24 mm.

I am dying to go out to our star party area, but our last two were canceled due to clouds.  I hope the seeing will improve within the next couple of months.

Clear Skies!:)

#59 Jake21

Jake21

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:35 AM

Spent some time viewing the orange star Dubhe in Ursa Major. Dubhe also had a faint blue star to the side of it. There was some beautiful contrast between the orange and blue colors. 

#60 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:40 PM

First clear night in ages. I just finished setting up a new one arm center mount for my Asoectem so I took the Vario out for a spin. Clouds where coming in from the south so i was only able to catch a M51 and M81/82 from my backyard (orange zone). Still a lovely sight and better then nothing :-)

#61 kb7wox

kb7wox

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Mira still hanging in there at ~3.2 mag plus a stray satellite

#62 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

I'm in Orlando on vacation and brought my Bushnell 10x50s. Found a dark spot by the pool and had a quick look at M42, M45, and C14 tonight.

#63 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:26 AM

Best night of the year so far.....SQM 21.4-5 and very transparent skies in my backyard.

Spent an hour reclining in my Adirondack chair observing the winter Milky Way with my Fuji 10x50 and VisionKing 5x25  binoculars handheld.

Chock full of open clusters and starfields laced with dark dust streaks across the swath of faint galactic starfields....very calming and contemplative.

This makes up for all the disappointing cloudy weather in Dec-Jan; looks like a couple of good nights coming up where I'll set up the 70mm and 100mm BTs and do some "serious" work.

Edited by Mr. Bill, 06 February 2018 - 02:27 AM.

#64 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:33 AM

Got out early, while it was still clear. Used my ANVIS 9 night vision bino coupled afocally to my Steiner 8x56. Built-in minus blue filters on the ANVIS objectives really cuts out the suburban light pollution. Even with these filters, M42 was surprisingly detailed and extended. Also observed many star clusters and star "clouds" I've never seen before, thanx to the ANVIS image intensifiers. The winter Milky Way was a real treat.

#65 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

Got out early, while it was still clear. Used my ANVIS 9 night vision bino coupled afocally to my Steiner 8x56. Built-in minus blue filters on the ANVIS objectives really cuts out the suburban light pollution. Even with these filters, M42 was surprisingly detailed and extended. Also observed many star clusters and star "clouds" I've never seen before, thanx to the ANVIS image intensifiers. The winter Milky Way was a real treat.

Mark,

Would you please post some pictures of your set-up?  flash.gif 

Thanks

#66 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

Yesterday was a busy day with a photo shoot downtown Portland and then home. About 6:30 the skies were clear. I grabbed my 10 x 50 Eagle Optic Rangers and headed outside for a “quick” peak. These binoculars (bought in 2005) are so refractor like in their images that the first thing I looked at was M45 – such a jewel box of stars. So many pin point stars besides the sisters I just kept looking.

Then on to M42 – could see stars, but even with averted vision it was hard to get a real, confirmed count (Plus I did not have the 10 x 50’s on the monopod so my view were limited to 15-30 second efforts. The sharpness and contrast in these binoc’s  (which I haven’t used in a while due to the 20 x 80’s hogging my time) just blew me away, really.

My yard it tall tree challenged and m31 is just about to disappear behind trees to the west, so I thought I’d take one last peek. I use  Schedar to Mirach and back N to find M31 very quickly. M32 was just a small fuzzy star, but using averted vision I could  see the core and about 2 degree extension on M31. What a sight that always brings about the wonder again. Had been out for 15 to 20 minutes at this time and as I turned to look one last time at m42, I saw Castor and Pollux and thought why not.?

M35 showed quickly in a sweep to the south. It is large even in the 10 x 50’s. I don’t think I saw “granular” even with averted vision. But it’s that thrill of finding the ghost in the darkness. Using Binoc’s is much like fly fishing. It’s the finesse of the tool and use of it that makes it fun. I probably spent another 10 minutes on m35 trying ways to make it look like it does in my C8 – “no dice” as they say.

I can’t help but think that the forest I live in and the state park near my house makes my limited view darker as I can see through the trees various light domes (Portland, Lake Oswego, and Tigrad) but the skies over head are really significantly darker. From Polaris to -15 degrees south (through a tree hole of about 10 degrees), I appears darker (perhaps 5 – 5.2 magnitude with my eyes).

Most importantly it was FUN.

Edited by Jeff Lee, 06 February 2018 - 12:32 PM.

#67 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

Mark,

Would you please post some pictures of your set-up?  flash.gif

Thanks

Sure...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7768.JPG
  • IMG_7774.JPG

Edited by SMark, 06 February 2018 - 09:35 PM.

#68 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

Pretty impressive. waytogo.gif

#69 WilburTWildcat

WilburTWildcat

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ashland, OR

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:53 AM

Tuesday, February 6, 2018
9:30p
Ashland, OR 97520 (Home)
Oberwerk 15x70 Ultra Binoculars
Seeing 4/5
Transparency 2/5

Goal: Orion and surroundings

Binocs out at 745p for cooldown. Didn’t get outside until around 9p. Sirius twinkled less than normal, with good steadiness to horizon. I would judge transparency at average. A little night adaptation goes a long way.

Started with a quick look at M42. Without much dark adaptation, it almost needed averted vision! No neblosity detected in M43. Come back to that later.

Oriented FOV with Orion’s belt stars, the Hyades (where I visited Aldebaran), and the Pleiades. I’m excited to get that parallelogram mount in the mail to really eek out that extra contrast on the M45. You could really tell that transparency wasn’t quite up to par, because M45 didn’t really “pop”.

With a quick scan upward, I couldn’t help but notice OC M35 in Gemini. Somewhat out in the middle of nowhere, but the four “feet” stars of the Twins push upward into the area. OC NGC 2158 was easily visible to the lower right of M35. The star count with this cluster is right up there with Caroline’s Rose, if Caroline’s rose could be resolved with 15x75 binoculars.

Cr 89 nearby was visible, but poor. NGC 2129 was a non-resolvable fuzzy patch.

Down into the Cone Nebula region. This is a busy part of the Winter Milky Way. May have detected some neblosity in the Rosette Nebula area, but it really could have just been star cloud dispersion.

M42 really shows a lot of detail with night adaptation now. Even M43 is easily visible. While I was in the area, took a look at Cr 69, the head of Orion. Boring. What about B30-2/B225 to the north? Nada. No detection of any particular darkness in the area that could be discerned from the normal background.

M1 (Crab Nebula) is visible, but very small at 15x. The shape comes into play when you use averted vision. It almost looks like a small spiral galaxy at this magnification.

OC’s M36, M37, and M38 really crane the neck, but were worth it. Simeis 147 supernova remnant, left of Beta Tauri (Elnath), is not visible. Should try again with the bigger scope. NGC 1746 in Taurus was nothing spectacular.

Finished up following the club of Orion up from Betelgeuse. OC NGC 2194 is a nice little, compact averted vision cluster. About the same size as the Crab Nebula. Could not detect nearby NGC 2169.

Summary: Plenty of little clusters to hunt around in the area. Use big dob for Simeis 147, Rosette, Cone.

#70 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

Another good night for me here in northeast Cal.

M42 may be the splashy showpiece of the winter Milky Way, but my favorite is the elusive Rosette in Monoceros.

The open cluster stands out even in light polluted skies, but the surrounding nebulosity only yields to dark, transparent conditions.

Using the 70mm APO BTs with the APM 18mm UFF eyepieces (22x), the 1 degree annulus is traced completely around the cluster and with averted vision and patience, much detail can be teased out of the background sky.

Adding UHC or OIII filters helps, but to me the most pleasing views are without filters which allows the central star cluster to shine brightly

This is a good test for your observing skills as well as sky transparency.

Edited by Mr. Bill, 07 February 2018 - 03:25 PM.

#71 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Casual observing, no plan.

I was sweeping Orion, Monoceros, Cancer, Auriga, Taurus, Gemini, Puppis, and Perseus using the APM's and the APM 15, and 24mm UF's.  I was getting familiar with these newer eyepieces.  Things of note:

Christmas Tree Cluster

Double Cluster

M44, and 67

Owl Cluster

Sigma Orionis

About an hour session before calling it.  I need to develop a plan for the upcoming star party.  I know the APM's and my Resolux 15x70's (they always go) will be the optics of choice.:)

#72 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

Clear skies continue here in the northeast. Snowing tonight however.

I was inspired to dig out the camera and take a shot due south from my home site.  Skies were plenty dark with SQM 21.67 average readings. Well low and behold, the Witch Head made an appearance in the 16x80's once Rigel was out of field.  The whole structure looks like a large mottled and marginally brighter section of sky.  The 4 degree field was almost too narrow to detect this object, but it helps to keep Rigel at bay.  Pan south from Beta Eridini, keeping Rigel out of view to detect.  Barnard's Loop was looking better than the previous evening.  The sparse and faint NGC-2112 was visible within the section of BL east of M-78.  

The trio of M46, m47, and NGC-2423 low in the southeast were very satisfying.  I've always loved the contrasts of these clusters.  

39232748385_407f56d6fd_z.jpg

The large region of dark nebulae, including the Taurus Dark Cloud was discernible to the unaided eye.  In the 16x80's the Merope Nebula was plain and the tour of Auriga's riches simply stunning.  Don't underestimate the binocular.  Under ideal conditions it is the tool of choice for large structures.

25260437937_3037f1ac47_z.jpg

The last few nights have been grand, after pretty much staying inside this winter, it was great to get out.  I hope to get more breaks in the winter to observe.

#73 celestronlover57

celestronlover57

Gemini

• Loc: Mississippi

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

Still cloudy tonight, but tomorrow evening at midnight my town will have a brief power outage while they switch substations.  Counting on a few minutes of really dark skies for my Orion 10x50's.

#74 WilburTWildcat

WilburTWildcat

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ashland, OR

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:11 AM

Wednesday, February 7, 2018
8:42p
Ashland, OR 97520
Oberwerk 15x70 Ultra Binoculars on Pgram
Seeing 4/5
Transparency 1/5

Goal: Repeat of last night with the new mount.

Got the AstroDevices.net Parallelogram III Pro in the mail today! The counterweight I bought at StellarVision in Tucson definitely isn’t enough, even with the counterweight rod fully extended. I had to jury-rig two 5lb barbell weights on as well. Nothing a little duct tape couldn’t handle.

Transparency was bordering on cloudy, with fuzz around all three of Orion’s belt stars.

For the first time, I achieved really good focus with the binocs. The Pleiades were 3D! Everything was 3D!

M42 and M43 were easy, showing much detail. The bottom part of M42 really stood out much better with the mounting.The views remind me of what I used to see in my 4.5” dob.

M78 and it’s partner NGC 2071, both reflection nebula, were easily visible without averted vision. It’s my first time seeing M78, I think. McNeil’s variable nebula wasn’t on my chart, so I didn’t think to look for it.

Went up into M35 again, which was a pleaser last night. The poor transparency really did a number on the majesty of this open cluster. Oh well. NGC 2158 was visible with averted vision, but NGC 2129 was not visible (it was last night).

Tried for NGC 2186 SW of Betelgeuse. I thought I’d found it multiple times, but was then concerned I’d overshot to Cr 91. Both wrong. I was really looking at NGC 2244, the central cluster to the Rosette Nebula.

I knew a way to find out what I was really seeing. I hopped from Gamma Geminorum (Alhene) to Zeta Geminorum. Zeta is really easy to confirm with 30 Geminorum to the NE and a smaller companion to the SW. Hopping down to 15 Monocerotis was the next step. No cone nebula tonight.

That did provide a hopping off point to get to 13 Monocerotis further to the SE. If I’m remembering correctly, I saw OC NGC 2254, but not NGC 2251. 2254 is magnitude 9.7, but more star-rich, whereas 2251 is 7.3 but could’ve just blended into the background.

SE again to 8 Monocerotis to create a right triangle with the Rosette Complex. Clearly the cluster I was looking at towards the beginning of the session was NGC 2244. No nebulosity around it for NGC 2237, however. Nearby Cr 106, Cr 107, and NGC 2252 were easy enough.

Hop SW to 18 Monocerotis. NGC 2282 nebula was not visible, but I kept seeing fuzzy patches directly to the SE of 18 M. Online star charts confirm that that would’ve been Cr 115 at mag 9.2.

There are quite a few pointer stars in the charts which help navigation around 18 Monocerotis, which is nice. Do 25 (Dolidze 25) wasn’t even close. I can barely find info online about it. NGC 2301 was a nice surprise. It looks like a little zigzag asterism until you look deeper and observe lots of little suns.

Summary: review OCs in Monoceros.

#75 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:53 AM

A cold and clear morning, my wife is on a business trip far away and will come back tomorrownight. So for something enjoyable, i dicided to go out with my Nikon 10x50 AE. I observed Orion and enjoyed the Moon-Jupiter conjunction. At almost the same time and not knowing i was observing the Moon and Jupiter too, she made a picture at here location from the conjunction...

Edited by Traveler, 08 February 2018 - 03:54 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics