•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tripod for binoculars

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Pedrita

Pedrita

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

Hello guys

I am new to the hobby, just got a Celestron 25x70 and I would like to get a tripod for stargazing.

Any suggestion?

#2 amzking

amzking

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Space Coast, Florida

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:42 PM

Unfortunately tripods for binos are not great, trying to observe at any point above 45 degrees involves contortions I cannot make.  Many people use parallelogram mounts for binos, but they are expensive.  This is on my long-term want list, but not for now.  You can use a tripod with a simple, inexpensive adaptor, but observing at greater altitudes will be annoying.  Do a search for "parallelogram mount for binoculars." 

#3 Pedrita

Pedrita

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

I will check it out.

Thank you 

#4 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

I use an adapter on a photo tripod for my 10x50's. Closest to zenith I get is sitting with the tripod legs adjusted short on either side of the chair and pivoted back toward me, effectively I become the third leg. Your binos may be a tad heavy for many photo tripods. I use a video head to handle my 25x100's. Have a search through the binocular forum to see what folks are using for the weight of yours. A shakey mount is an exercise in frustration bordering on madness. 

#5 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

Take a look in the binocular forum.,Here is what I made for my 15x70's

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170411_131120.jpg

• paulymo, AndrewXnn and amzking like this

#6 amzking

amzking

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:40 AM

Take a look in the binocular forum.,Here is what I made for my 15x70's

That looks mighty comfy!

#7 Pedrita

Pedrita

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

Awesome!

#8 spaceghost

spaceghost

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

At 25x magnification you will need a sturdy tripod. I use a Manfrotto 3246 tripod with a Bogen 501HDV head, which are built like a tank. The tripod center column has a crank handle to extend it up, making it easier to get under and view at things high in the sky.

#9 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

There are a lot of designs for parallelogram mounts that are easy to make yourself. Check the ATM section and Binocular section for ideas. Commercial ones are really not that expensive. But you still need a good, solid tripod.

#10 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Viking 1

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

I have an Astrodevices parallelogram on a surveyors tripod. Works great, and well built. $229 shipped to US from Ukrain.

For indoor use, I have a 10x50 on a Manfrotto tripod/bipod. It sits by the patio door for viewing the woods behind us. Works great for the lower level sky viewing also.

Edited by Myk Rian, 07 January 2018 - 12:34 PM.

#11 amzking

amzking

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

Okay​ ​I found this, it seems to be my kind of DIY project:

http://garyseronik.c...inocular-mount/

Also a monopod is looking mighty simple and attractive, scroll down to see the one on this page, looks great:

http://binocularsky....binoc_mount.php

I think I might start pricing out monopods...

#12 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

You can make a monopod pretty easy from a painters roller pole.,I made this one from a small tripod leg to be used sitting.,it adjusts up+down and tilts.,works all good.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170518_081407.jpg

#13 athomeinthepines

athomeinthepines

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, AL

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

To get by, any solid tripod will do but viewing becomes difficult the closer you get to zenith.  Even if buying on a budget stability is important as well. My larger binos (15x70, 20x80) are sometimes hard to keep steady on a smaller, lighter tripod. On the other hand, they give you better stability than nothing at all. I find it hard to hold the larger binos steady for very long without some assistance. Another key is what type of mount the binos have. For example, my 15x70 use a flimsy attachment, while the 20x80 have an adjustable slide mount which is much more steady. I would also suggest the binos forum and the above parallelogram mount, but for that price you are well on your way to buying a telescope if that is your objective.

#14 bobcat83

bobcat83

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

I have done a lot of binocular observing with 10x56 binocs.   I use a Vanguard Alta-series photo tripod.  The center column can be set so it angles off to the side of the tripod legs, eliminating the problems of getting your eyes to the eyepieces when pointing up toward zenith.  My binocular mount is a simple rectangle of plywood with a 1/4/20 T-nut in the center, fastened to a sturdy ball-mount so I can swivel the binocs in any direction.  I use a rubber strap with Velcro to fasten the binocs to the plywood - Nikon makes a mount of this style but it's very expensive for what you get.  It's not as smooth or elegant as a parallelogram but it is much more compact and adequately stable for me.  One thing to watch out for is the weight offset - the heavier the binocs, the more unstable the tripod with the weight off-center.

#15 Pedrita

Pedrita

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

Thank you guys! A lot of great info/ideas

#16 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

You may want to consult these reports on Cloudy Nights.

https://www.cloudyni...nocular-mounts/

https://www.cloudyni...ts/thoughts.pdf

Dave Mitsky

#17 penguinx64

penguinx64

Soyuz

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:25 AM

I tried using a camera tripod with a pair of 12x50 binoculars.  The tripod was never high enough.  I ended up kneeling on the ground to look up through it.  The tripod legs were always in the way when moving the binoculars around.  I quit using it because it was such a pain.  Also 12x magnification wasn't that much better than 7-10x magnification anyway.  Now I use lower power binoculars that don't need a tripod.  

#18 geoffl

geoffl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nr. Bristol, England

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:03 AM

+1 for a monopod. I use one with my 15 x 70s. If you set the height, and aim the 'bins' in roughly the right direction; the "stick" takes most of the weight, leaving you to scan the area of interest by small movements of your body position. This is much easier than compensating for the slack in the tilt axis of a tripod's head.

#19 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

Pedrita, a few tips from a long time bino user...

For binoculars, a usable tripod should be tall enough to put the binos mounting point at least 6" taller than the user.  Unlike camera use, binos are pointed to high elevations when used for astronomy.  This forces the binos to be held over one's head.  Most of us find a tripod/head works fine up to about 45-60° elevation depending on the who's neck we're talking about.   wink.gif

EdZ's bino mount article linked above (second link provided by Dave Mitsky) is a gold standard that has held up over time; definitely worth the read.  Tripod/head combos are a good way to start and will give you experience and time to decide what direction you may want to go in the future.  Eventually stepping up to a parallelogram for straight-through binos can make viewing super comfortable but the trade-off is bulk and setup time.  Reclined viewing can be addicting, though!  

Regarding monopods, IME, even at 15x they are too shaky for critical astronomy use.  Swimming stars and a well resolved bino image don't go together.  At 25x, I don't think monopods are appropriate at all; way too shaky.

Many people new to binocular astronomy don't realize that the mount they need for steady views may cost more than their binoculars.  The tall Manfrotto options are excellent but there are "clones" available for much less that are fine for the purpose.  The Oberwerk 3000 tripod/head is what I'd consider a minimum.  Their 5000 series will provide capacity for heavier binos and includes a geared center column for easy height changes which you'll find very helpful for bino astronomy.

Rich

#20 seawolfe

seawolfe

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

I have two sets of binoculars, one is a Nikon 16 X 50 and the other is a Celestron 20 X 80.  The larger one is definitely too heavy to hand hold, so I made this mirror mount which is mounted onto a Celestron Alt / Az telescope tripod.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mirror Mount.jpg

#21 Pedrita

Pedrita

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Hello guys

I ended up getting the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100.  I’m 5’7” and the height of the tripod plus head ( SBH100 ) and tripod adapter for the bino gives me plenty room and more to look straight up while standing. Tripod is solid too, keeping in mind that my binoculars are just short of 5lbs

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

#22 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Viking 1

• Loc: North/West of Pittsburgh PA

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

I have two sets of binoculars, one is a Nikon 16 X 50 and the other is a Celestron 20 X 80.  The larger one is definitely too heavy to hand hold, so I made this mirror mount which is mounted onto a Celestron Alt / Az telescope tripod.

Where does one get a mirror to make one of these?  I am guessing one from the local Target is not idea?

THANKS
Dave

#23 seawolfe

seawolfe

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

Where does one get a mirror to make one of these?  I am guessing one from the local Target is not idea?

THANKS
Dave

I got them here:

Attached Files

• AnalogKid likes this

#24 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Viking 1

• Loc: North/West of Pittsburgh PA

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

THANKS!   

Will be gathering the goodies, and hopefully will build this soon.

#25 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Viking 1

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

I got them here:

The links in the PDF need updating. Pages not found.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics