•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cave Telescope Estimate of Worth

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:12 AM

I still like looking AT mine.

post-6788-14074320446732_thumb.jpg

I would still kill for that scope. Just no way for me to use it at my house and sure as heck not gonna lift that heavy OTA.

• rcwolpert likes this

#52 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

I would still kill for that scope. Just no way for me to use it at my house and sure as heck not gonna lift that heavy OTA.

Same here.  If I only had a garage.

• Terra Nova likes this

#53 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

Would car exhaust effect the coatings?

#54 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

I’m beginning to think of a big garage and nice flat concrete driveway (or secondary rear garage door opening onto a big patio slab) as another kind of observatory. Instead of a roll-off roof observatory, it would be a roll-out telescope observatory. That would be perfect for one of these leviathans or a big C14 on wheels! When and if I ever move, I am going to strongly consider such.

• deSitter, rolo, John Higbee and 3 others like this

#55 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

Yes, with rapid setup via computers and sighting aids now easily available, what could be more easy? So much simpler and direct to open the door, and much less chance of critters and water getting in. And, you can tote the scope somewhere else.

-drl

#56 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

Now here's an idea, a garden telescope:

https://www.youtube....h?v=NqjWBroqPsU

Robert

• tim53, starman876, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#57 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

I’m beginning to think of a big garage and nice flat concrete driveway .

OH , I hear ya Girl , If I only had a concrete driveway praying.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• COL.-STAR-LINER-002.jpg
  • CRITSER MS.jpg

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 09 January 2018 - 11:22 AM.

• tim53, clamchip, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#58 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

Could you post close-ups of your rotating ring solution? That's purdy!

-drl

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#59 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

I’m beginning to think of a big garage and nice flat concrete driveway (or secondary rear garage door opening onto a big patio slab) as another kind of observatory.

It works for my Tinsley:  Roll it out of the shed, plug in the drive, and start star-gazing.  But, I'll have to wait months for Jupiter, Mars, & Saturn to get high enough to clear the oak trees -- unless I want to build another "bridge" to the small porch on the SE corner...

#60 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

Could you post close-ups of your rotating ring solution? That's purdy!

-drl

Basically a 10" scope mounted in a 12.5 " mount , 

Attached Thumbnails

• CRITSER-Cr-004.jpg
  • CRITSER-Cr-005.jpg

• tim53, starman876, clamchip and 5 others like this

#61 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

While I've always been a fan of equatorial mounts, and have a nice (or will be nice when I restore it) Astrola mount for my 10" Cave,   I built it a dob mount.  I put two sturdy handles on the top of the tube, I lift it out of its box, turn, drop it into the mount, done.

It's the difference between lifting it two feet onto a dob mount versus five feet onto the Astrola - and trying to get the bolts on the ring assembly to go into the holes when I get it up there.

There's still the issue of moving an almost 6' long box around....but I have a truck for big trips, and my box has wheels for local moving.

• tim53, Terra Nova and TOM KIEHL like this

#62 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

I have a garage but would have to kick out the Vette. And my door is low and that scope is too big anyways.

#63 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

I’m beginning to think of a big garage and nice flat concrete driveway (or secondary rear garage door opening onto a big patio slab) as another kind of observatory. Instead of a roll-off roof observatory, it would be a roll-out telescope observatory. That would be perfect for one of these leviathans or a big C14 on wheels! When and if I ever move, I am going to strongly consider such.

Terra - like the way you're thinking.  There are multiple examples / pictures of the roll-out telescope observatory in this thread alone...if you go that way, just make sure that you get large casters on the pier feet; makes it a lot easier to maneuver in and out of the garage!

John

#64 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

I would roll my 10" CSD out of the garage, and my driveway is relatively steep. I marked two spots where I could drop the levelers right into the concrete. The third leg needed a "shim". It never got away from me rolling it down but I can't say it wasn't a little nerve wracking. I wouldn't try it with a 12.5" without some help.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4752sm.jpg

Edited by PiSigma, 09 January 2018 - 11:00 PM.

• Paul Hyndman, deSitter, tim53 and 10 others like this

#65 Bonco2

Bonco2

Ranger 4

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Love that picture PiSigma. Very close to the one I had. That guide scope looks familiar...that's right I sold it to you. LOL

Bill

• PiSigma likes this

#66 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

need to invent an easier way of getting big scopes out.  Maybe a set of rails to just roll it out on or some sort of guide way.  Of course this idea would be for people that could not build an observatory of some kind.  

I have seen these small sheds that just house the scope and the front comes off and the scope rolls out just far enough to use it.   

I think the lack of an easier method of using large newts has been the death of them.

• tim53 likes this

#67 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

need to invent an easier way of getting big scopes out.  Maybe a set of rails to just roll it out on or some sort of guide way.  Of course this idea would be for people that could not build an observatory of some kind.  

I have seen these small sheds that just house the scope and the front comes off and the scope rolls out just far enough to use it.   

I think the lack of an easier method of using large newts has been the death of them.

Ultimately, it depends on what people want.  I, for example, want a meter-class aperture.  So I'll either have to luck into an old university scope someone wants to dispose of (yeah, right!), or make something myself.  Probably a Cassegrain of some kind, as I can't imagine climbing a tall ladder to use a Newtonian that big.  Unless it's all computerized, like Cindy and Jerry Foote's scopes in Utah:  http://brucegary.net...Foote/index.htm

-Tim.

#68 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

That's a nice scope, Tim, very nice.

Edited by Jeff B1, 10 January 2018 - 06:04 PM.

• tim53 likes this

#69 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

A friend had a "doghouse observatory" at his old house, housing a 6" refractor. (It looked like an outhouse, but he did not want to call it that!) The refractor was actually mounted on a pier set into the ground, so it was always polar aligned. The doghouse was on rails. He would open the door, push the doghouse back, and immediately start observing.
  • deSitter, Bomber Bob and shredder1656 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics